Old 02-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Registered User

Default Struggling acer

I have a potted acer about 6 or 7 years old. It has always done very well in a good location but this year it has a fraction of the normal leaves and those that have appeared are looking a little withered. Many branches have apparently died.

I am worried that it may have been damaged by the severe frost and that the whole tree may be dying.

Can anyone please offer some advise about how to treat it? Will it be better to remove it from the pot and get it in the ground?
Old 02-05-2011, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 2 May 2011 20:32:55 +0000, artsjuice
wrote:

I have a potted acer about 6 or 7 years old. It has always done very
well in a good location but this year it has a fraction of the normal
leaves and those that have appeared are looking a little withered. Many
branches have apparently died.

I am worried that it may have been damaged by the severe frost and that
the whole tree may be dying.

Can anyone please offer some advise about how to treat it? Will it be
better to remove it from the pot and get it in the ground?

You don't say which planting zone you're in but if your winters are
cold enough to freeze the ground than leaving a tree out in a pot you
are lucky it leafed out at all... get it into the ground yesterday.