Old 12-05-2011, 08:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ticks! Ticks! Ticks!!!

Amos Nomore wrote:
In article ,
Ig.Gardener wrote:

Another issue with spraying the yard is that I live on ten acres and the
dogs go everywhere. The creek I mentioned is at the very edge. Will the
Malathion & Diazinon make my little one sick like the Advantix? Let me
add that although she has no health issues and is still energetic, she
is about 16 years old and is starting to slow down. She's my old lady.
^_^ If it won't then that sounds wonderful! One dip and done.

Possibly done for good. Please do not use these compounds directly on
your pet. I have treated many dozens of pets for organophosphate
toxicity and, unfortunately, wasn't able to save them all. Applying
diazinon to an elderly dog could very well kill it from overt
neurological toxicity. These poisons are hard on the liver, kidneys,
lungs and endocrine system. Some dogs develop acute pancreatitis
following exposure to organophosphates. As others have suggested, these
compounds wreak havoc on the environment and many are quite persistent.

Please consult with a good veterinarian in your vicinity. Try to obtain
some Frontline spray. Continue to use the topical monthly, but also use
the spray once a month during tick season, staggered two weeks. Inspect
your dogs feet and ears, etc., daily. Use a few pumps of the Frontline
spray on any areas were young ticks are attracted to your dog as often
as you need to prevent their attachment.

Again - consult your veterinarian. If you don't think their advice is
working, find another one based on local recommendation. Too many pets
suffer at the hands of well-intentioned owners willing to take the
advice of laypersons who, though also rarely having nothing but the best
intentions, have simply been lucky not to have killed their own pet with
their enthusiastic advice.

I agree!

Old 12-05-2011, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Ig.Gardener wrote:

Another issue with spraying the yard is that I live on ten acres and the
dogs go everywhere. The creek I mentioned is at the very edge. Will the
Malathion & Diazinon make my little one sick like the Advantix? Let me
add that although she has no health issues and is still energetic, she
is about 16 years old and is starting to slow down. She's my old lady.
^_^ If it won't then that sounds wonderful! One dip and done.

Amos sounds right on, but you may want to run this by
rec.pets.dogs.health .
--
- Billy

Bush's 3rd term: Obama plus another elective war
Bush's 4th term: another Judas goat

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://theuptake.org/2011/03/05/michael-moore-the-big-lie-wisconsin-is-broke/
Old 12-05-2011, 08:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Having suffered about 200 tick bites in the last 60 years here is a
few tidbits.

Up to about 25 years ago Lymes was not a recognized illness. Seems
dear tick the size of a pin head moved into New Jersey. My wife was
unlucky enough to have it in the early years. Bulls eye bruises are an
early sign "Bell's Palsy" a latter one luckily she received antibiotics
for some thing else.
The bigger ticks were everyone's concern because of "Rocky Mountain
Spotted Fever" which I don't hear about anymore.
Best practice is mindfulness and stay out of high grasses here.
Wife and son both have had Lymes.

Sill I hate chiggers and give them the August garden.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow." - Anon

http://patrickmurfin.livejournal.com/

Old 14-05-2011, 03:58 AM
Registered User

Location: Virginia
Talking

It sounds to me that I'm doing everything I can already. Thank you everyone.
__________________
Rocks, roots, constant shade and one
Ignorant Gardener
Old 14-05-2011, 04:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

Ig.Gardener wrote:
It sounds to me that I'm doing everything I can already. Thank you
everyone.

Cool, so you got the little chickens.... Cool

[IMG] code is On

Perimeter spray for ticks JackRabbit Gardening 3 28-04-2005 12:12 PM
Worm Bin & Ticks / Neem John T. Jarrett Gardening 8 28-05-2004 05:02 AM
TICKS AND MOSQUITOES Hound [email protected] Gardening 2 27-05-2004 03:02 AM
ticks and fleas ratSenoL Texas 1 17-06-2003 07:43 PM
Ticks, Ticks and more Ticks Lar Gardening 25 07-05-2003 08:44 PM