Old 05-05-2003, 10:56 AM
Purchgdss

Default Ticks, Ticks and more Ticks

If you treat your dogs with Advantage, the pests on the property
should dwindle. It has worked for me well.

Revolution is what was recommended by my vet, however, I just learned yesterday
that it only kills one species of tick (deer ticks). The other will quite
happily feast away. It's gross, but it has become Sunday ritual to have each of
my three dogs lay on the front porch and pull off the multitude of ticks. The
vet said to not switch to advantage because I would lose the protection from
heartworm and ear mites.

Yesterday, I pulled at least 10 off my one 20 lb baby alone.

*Sigh* I don't want to excommunicate them, but the cats are picking them up too
and leaving them around the house.

I'm at a loss...........

Just my 2 cents.........
Christine
Old 06-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Susan Fein

x-no-archive: yes

I would think rabbits and deer would be bigger vectors of ticks... that's a
great idea regardless

White footed mice are considered a major vector for ticks, hence the
development of Damminix, the cardboard tubes with treated nesting material for
mice.

There have also been experiments with feeding stations for deer with rollers
that apply a tick prevention chemical on the heads and necks of deer as they
feed. Birds and squirrels, chipmunks are all carriers.

One single tick bite can transmit numerous infections for which there is no
reliable serological testing, and, often, no curative treatment, so prevention
is very important.

Guinea hens are known to have a voracious appetite for ticks, so some folks in
tick infested areas buy them for that purpose.

Susan
Old 06-05-2003, 02:20 AM
madgardener

If you're using Frontline tick drops it absolutely KILLS the ticks. I don't
use Advantage. Doesn't work.
madgardener who hasn't had ticks on Rose or her felines since using
Frontline drops that comes in a three pack.
"Judy and Dave G" wrote in message
Hello all.

Good lord. I have seen more ticks so far this year than I have ever seen
before. We moved to this farm 10 years ago. Took me a couple years to be
able to pick a tick off and kill it. Still can't touch those darn swelled
up, grayish green ones. Dave's gotta get them.

Our farm is about 60 acres, on a hillside, from the creek at the bottom to
the ridge at the top. I hate snakes and ticks. I read somewhere,

sometime
that if you mow areas close to your home that snakes and ticks shouldn't

be
a problem. Well, I get a bit carried away. I mow about 3 acres in the
bottoms, about an acre around the house, then a 30 foot path up to the top
of the hill with about an acre by the bees, an acre at the first

leveling,
and about 3 acres in the top field by the pond.

So you can pretty much walk everywhere that is comfortable (some of the
hillside is really a bit too steep for comfort) and not be close to high
grass. Even at the middle of the path, the higher grass is 15 feet away.
Now, when I am mowing, I am fair game to the ticks. Because I am sitting

on
the lawn tractor and brushing right past all the weeds, berries and ivy

and
ducking under the trees.

But, if I walk out the front door, down the walk, onto the gravel drive,
down to the road for the mail, (about 300 feet) and back up to the house:

have at least 3, count em, 3 friggin ticks on me. Geez.

We use flea and tick drops on the dogs. We have 3 dogs now. Apparently

the
drops don't deter the ticks from getting on the dogs. If you sit on the
porch and swing, the dogs will come over and need a pat. You can SEE the
friggin ticks walking around on their fur, the only dead ones are the ones
that are attached.

And this is only May for cripes sake.

Doesn't look to be a real comfortable summer. Gonna be feeling and
scratching and picking. Gross. Yuck. Anyone else in the country and
noticing ticks are pretty bad this year? I am in Kentucky.

Judy

Old 06-05-2003, 02:21 AM
madgardener

honey, the ticks are also on the BIRDS, and the ticks drop outa the trees
onto me........I saw a show on the preditor bugs that likes blood on
Discovery, and the ticks literally hang on the ends of grasses waiting for
some unsuspecting warm blooded whatever to brush thru the grasses to
land....they have little grappling hooks for feeties.....and as I was
walking to the car UNDER the black cherry tree, THREE ticks dropped onto me
from above, no cats or dog up THERE! g madgardener again............

"Lar" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...
We use flea and tick drops on the dogs. We have 3 dogs now.

Apparently the
drops don't deter the ticks from getting on the dogs. If you sit on

the
porch and swing, the dogs will come over and need a pat. You can SEE

the
friggin ticks walking around on their fur, the only dead ones are the

ones
that are attached.

You might check in at your local farm co-op or county
extension agency to see if you can get info on a
procedure that places stations around the property and
as the mice go in and out there will be a wick fed
liquid, such as what you apply by drops to your dogs
that will reduce the tick population that is helped
spread by the mice.
--
Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Old 06-05-2003, 02:21 AM
jammer

On Mon, 5 May 2003 19:04:48 -0400, "madgardener"
wrote:

If you're using Frontline tick drops it absolutely KILLS the ticks. I don't
use Advantage. Doesn't work.
madgardener who hasn't had ticks on Rose or her felines since using
Frontline drops that comes in a three pack.

Excuse please, but Advantage works on our pets and yards just fine.
The neighbors won't pay the price and have problems.

Old 06-05-2003, 02:21 AM
jammer

On Mon, 5 May 2003 19:06:58 -0400, "madgardener"
wrote:

honey, the ticks are also on the BIRDS, and the ticks drop outa the trees
onto me........I saw a show on the preditor bugs that likes blood on
Discovery, and the ticks literally hang on the ends of grasses waiting for
some unsuspecting warm blooded whatever to brush thru the grasses to
land....they have little grappling hooks for feeties.....and as I was
walking to the car UNDER the black cherry tree, THREE ticks dropped onto me
from above, no cats or dog up THERE! g madgardener again............

Well hell, if it's gonna rain ticks, may as well hang it up!

Old 06-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Judy and Dave G

Wow. Never heard of these. As soon as I read this I called the extension
office. They haven't heard of them either. Called the Farm Supply Store
and they are gonna look into it and call me back. Now if these things are
really expensive and need to be financed with a loan larger than the
National Debt, well, at least I will have looked into them. ;o}

Thanks for the info.

Judy

"Lar" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...
I would think rabbits and deer would be bigger vectors of ticks...

that's a
great idea regardless

There is a feeder for deer called the "4-poster" as they
feed at the feeder they will rub up against two rollers
that apply the acaricide.

Old 06-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Judy and Dave G

"madgardener" wrote in message
.. .
honey, the ticks are also on the BIRDS, and the ticks drop outa the trees
onto me........I saw a show on the preditor bugs that likes blood on
Discovery, and the ticks literally hang on the ends of grasses waiting for
some unsuspecting warm blooded whatever to brush thru the grasses to
land....they have little grappling hooks for feeties.....and as I was
walking to the car UNDER the black cherry tree, THREE ticks dropped onto

me
from above, no cats or dog up THERE! g madgardener again............

I know! Starting to think the little suckers (really!) are gonna take over
the world. As a matter of fact they do have little suction cup like feet.
That must be why they can awake me from a sound sleep by dancing across my
arm.

Judy

"Lar" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...

Old 06-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Judy and Dave G

"jammer" j@mmer wrote in message
On Sun, 4 May 2003 23:32:14 -0400, "Judy and Dave G"
wrote:

I have seen more ticks

If you treat your dogs with Advantage, the pests on the property
should dwindle. It has worked for me well.

We have used Frontline for years. Seems to have worked well in the past.
But this year is something else. Don't know why.

Judy

Old 06-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Judy and Dave G

"Purchgdss" wrote in message

It's gross, but it has become Sunday ritual to have each of
my three dogs lay on the front porch and pull off the multitude of ticks.

The
vet said to not switch to advantage because I would lose the protection

from
heartworm and ear mites.

Yesterday, I pulled at least 10 off my one 20 lb baby alone.

Yeah, geez. I am getting really sick of these bugs. Fer chrissake, we had
a nice late frost and I was really hoping some of these ticks would freeze
to death. Apparently, they didn't.

Judy

Old 06-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Judy and Dave G

"mt2" wrote in message
Guinea hens love to eat ticks. Chickens do too.

Yes a great idea. But our dogs seem to favor the taste of fresh poultry. I
wish there was a way to get them to not eat the little guys. We have a
beekeeper in our club who has been trying to get us to keep chickens for
years. He says the dogs won't eat many. Yuck. (He is also the one that
thinks the miniature ponies are just the right size for the freezer. I
won't even go there.)

Judy

Old 06-05-2003, 02:44 AM
jammer

On Mon, 5 May 2003 21:34:08 -0400, "Judy and Dave G"
wrote:

The
vet said to not switch to advantage because I would lose the protection

from
heartworm and ear mites.

Advantage makes heartworm medcine not work?????

Old 06-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Judy and Dave G

"Callen Molenda" wrote in message
Our horses have been totally eaten up with them this year. Can you
imagine having to pull ticks off 6 1200 lb animals every day??? They
make an equine Top Spot, but it costs about $30 per horse, per month! I
can't afford that, so I spend a lot of time under the horses, praying
that their good natures will last long enough for me to get all the
little buggers without catching a well-placed hoof in the chest.

Now, in your most luxurious dreams when you were young and dreaming about
having your own horses, did you ever imagine doing a tick pick?

Judy