Old 22-05-2011, 09:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Floppy herbs

The local grocery store had some really lovely live herbs. They were in
little pots and wrapped in clear plastic like flowers. I grabbed a couple
of rosemary plants. After carefully teasing them from their pots I
transplanted them only to find them all flopped over like limp noodles the
next day. They cannot stand up on their own. They don't have any water
issues except for possibly being too wet. Should I stake them? Just leave
them alone?

Paul

Old 22-05-2011, 12:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 22 May 2011 01:59:03 -0700, "Paul M. Cook"
wrote:

The local grocery store had some really lovely live herbs. They were in
little pots and wrapped in clear plastic like flowers. I grabbed a couple
of rosemary plants. After carefully teasing them from their pots I
transplanted them only to find them all flopped over like limp noodles the
next day. They cannot stand up on their own. They don't have any water
issues except for possibly being too wet. Should I stake them? Just leave
them alone?

Paul

Do they have roots or are they just cuttings?

Old 22-05-2011, 05:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

The local grocery store had some really lovely live herbs. They were in
little pots and wrapped in clear plastic like flowers. I grabbed a couple
of rosemary plants. After carefully teasing them from their pots I
transplanted them only to find them all flopped over like limp noodles the
next day. They cannot stand up on their own. They don't have any water
issues except for possibly being too wet. Should I stake them? Just
leave
them alone?

Paul

Do they have roots or are they just cuttings?

I believe I wrote they were in pots. They are seedlings which were grown in
the pots. They are about 8 inches tall. They are fully hydrated with no
signs of wilting.

Paul

Old 22-05-2011, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 22 May 2011 09:19:34 -0700, "Paul M. Cook"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

The local grocery store had some really lovely live herbs. They were in
little pots and wrapped in clear plastic like flowers. I grabbed a couple
of rosemary plants. After carefully teasing them from their pots I
transplanted them only to find them all flopped over like limp noodles the
next day. They cannot stand up on their own. They don't have any water
issues except for possibly being too wet. Should I stake them? Just
leave
them alone?

Paul

Do they have roots or are they just cuttings?

I believe I wrote they were in pots. They are seedlings which were grown in
the pots. They are about 8 inches tall. They are fully hydrated with no
signs of wilting.

Paul

The teasing has probably removed most of the soil in contact with the
root hairs so they aren't taking in water very efficiently now. The
new growth is soft and relies on turgor pressure to stand.

They will need time to re-grow the root hairs, staking will not do
much. I would advise patience and a sheltered spot with strong light
but not sun for a while. Don't over water, wet feet will kill
rosemary quickly. Those that perk up can be moved into the sun.

Old 25-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Drobium's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Bedworth ,Warwickshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M. Cook View Post
The local grocery store had some really lovely live herbs. They were in
little pots and wrapped in clear plastic like flowers. I grabbed a couple
of rosemary plants. After carefully teasing them from their pots I
transplanted them only to find them all flopped over like limp noodles the
next day. They cannot stand up on their own. They don't have any water
issues except for possibly being too wet. Should I stake them? Just leave
them alone?

Paul
The problem with grocery store bought plants is that they tend be be wrapped up and transported for sometime long periods and great distances and upon reaching their destination, they are then put on to badly lit shelves or racks where they don't get enough natural light.

This makes the plants grow rather leggy and weak, and upon removing the plastic wrapper, they will flop about and look awful for a few days.
Usually after about a week, if they are given good light and air flow, they start to stand back up and look alot healthier.

Also if they are grown as seedlings in pots, the above problems also occur along with general overcrowding.
I wouldn't worry too much, as given a little time, they'll start to stand up and look better.
__________________
Yay! it's spring!

Old 28-05-2011, 05:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Drobium" wrote in message
news

Paul M. Cook;922324 Wrote:
[...]

I staked them with some bamboo rod and loosely tied them with some plastic
ties. So far they seem to be building up a more woody stem. Looks like
they'll eventually stand upright on their own.

Paul

[IMG] code is On

Floppy Crocus? Jim Lesurf United Kingdom 1 23-02-2005 11:29 AM
Floppy Roses Magwitch United Kingdom 0 10-07-2004 02:09 PM
Floppy Mexican Sage Fleemo Gardening 0 19-11-2003 10:32 AM
Floppy Elephant Ears Leanne Australia 0 21-08-2003 01:32 PM
Iceberg and Fabulous are floppy JimS. Roses 5 23-06-2003 10:20 PM