Old 01-06-2011, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default here's one for ya billybob

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...,5608647.story

interesting numbers in there.

songbird
Old 01-06-2011, 05:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 1, 8:54*am, songbird wrote:
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...mes-walmart-20...

* interesting numbers in there.

* songbird

Well, how kewl is that! These folks didn't get so rich by being stupid
-- merely greedy and exploitative.

I've never set foot in one of their emporia. Overhe decades, Wal-Mart
has killed countless mom & pop local stores by forcing down prices.
And, BTW, forcing American merchants who would love to create jobs
locally, to outsource to cheap foreign countries or get struck off Wal-
Mart supplier lists.

Not to mention their discrmination against women, and the criminal
abuse of employees by forcing them to work free off the clock or get
fired.

So, thanks, but no thanks. When Wal-Mart presents credible evidence
that they have remedied these practices AND repaid what they owe staff
back into the past, I and others aware of their history might consider
patronizing them.

HB

of the evil past will CONSIDER patronizing Wal
Old 01-06-2011, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

songbird wrote:
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...,5608647.story

interesting numbers in there.

and another one that is interesting too:

http://www.latimes.com/health/ct-met...074,full.story

songbird
Old 01-06-2011, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
songbird wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...mes-walmart-20...

Â* interesting numbers in there.

Well, how kewl is that! These folks didn't get so rich by being stupid
-- merely greedy and exploitative.

you are letting your dislike of some
things get in the way of noticing how
huge a difference they have made so quickly.
did you even read the article and look at
the numbers cited?

in a few short years they've made some
real large changes. i think in spite of
all the other negatives they may have in
their business they do deserve recognition
for their efforts.

they will make a difference much larger
than many people who can't even be bothered
to sort their trash for recycling.

consider this, they are changing based
upon actual consumer demands right? isn't
this a good sign for the environment and
thus us people/consumers overall? i'd say
it is one of the bright spots because it
does show an actual shift in enough numbers
that the bigger society is changing too.

higher gas prices and actually having a
local product of distinction helps businesses
out in the face of more distant price
competition. wal-mart cannot out compete
the chinese restaurant we like or the
burger places we like or the local hardware
that came and got our lawnmower, sharpened
the blade and brought it back.

if i were a struggling business owner
i'd pay attention to what i wrote in that
last paragraph.

most people i hear who criticise business
owners have never actually run a business.
when i ask them how they would make their
living if they had to do it on their own
efforts and skills most people haven't a clue.

songbird
Old 01-06-2011, 06:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/1/2011 1:17 PM, songbird wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
songbird wrote:

[...]

Everything is colored by his left wing thinking and class warfare.

I've done a few jobs required by Walmart that did not need to be done in
the area of safety. I think they are a very responsible Co.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
songbird wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...art-20110531,0,
5608647.story

interesting numbers in there.

songbird

Next thing you'll be telling me that Chevron is going green ;O)

Yes, what Wally World is doing is good, HOWEVER most of it seems to be
reducing their petroleum profile. It needs to be noted that the price of
petroleum is trending up. What Wally World has done is good Wally World,
but I think that it is only a coincide that it's good for the
environment. Then as the person from Santa Monica pointed out, Wally
Worlds mega-stores impact on local business, local residents, and city
streets. Cutting waste: win/win

Now if Wally World could buy produce and other goods locally, when
possible, that would save petroleum, and leave some of the profits
locally as well.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/
Old 01-06-2011, 11:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Frank wrote:

Everything is colored by his left wing thinking and class warfare.

Instead of characterizing me Frank, why don't you mention your right
wing thinking and approach to class peace.

Be constructive.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
songbird wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...art-20110531,0,
5608647.story

interesting numbers in there.

Next thing you'll be telling me that Chevron is going green ;O)

haven't seen any news stories on that one
yet. if i do i'll pass it along.

Yes, what Wally World is doing is good, HOWEVER most of it seems to be
reducing their petroleum profile. It needs to be noted that the price of
petroleum is trending up. What Wally World has done is good Wally World,
but I think that it is only a coincide that it's good for the
environment.

if that is what it takes, Billy i'll consider
it still a win in a major way that wasn't
happening before.

Then as the person from Santa Monica pointed out, Wally
Worlds mega-stores impact on local business, local residents, and city
streets. Cutting waste: win/win

always.

Now if Wally World could buy produce and other goods locally, when
possible, that would save petroleum, and leave some of the profits
locally as well.

it's bound to happen eventually. petroleum at
$500/barrel at some point in the future. they'll
be excavating land-fills to get at the plastics/metals
for recycling. that's gonna be fun. probably a
bit past my time tho.

songbird