Old 08-06-2011, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default manure tea question

Found this article on manure tea and decided to give it a try........ so two
weeks ago went picked up 2 5 gallon pails of fresh manure & straw. I
placed in 30 gallon barrel and filled with rain water. Now I am finding the
stuff stinks to high heaven.......smells like very rank sewage...... Is this
stuff safe to use on vegetables?

Here is article.......

Manure Tea – Best Natural Fertilizer?

Published by Mrs.Dirty Boots under Compost,Frugal Living Tips,Vegetable Plot

If you’re growing your own food you need your plot to be as fertile as
possible. Manure is the small-holders best tool for improving fertility
quickly. If you have a supply of manure then making up some manure tea or
manure water is a quick way of ensuring plants have a soluble supply of all
the nutrients they require.
Make Manure Tea / Manure Water

Fill a bucket 1/3 full of manure.
Fill up with water and put on a not too tight lid.
Leave the manure water for two weeks to ferment and allow nutrients to
dissolve.
Dissolve the manure tea with ten times as much water and use. The brew
applied to plants should look the colour of week tea.
Keep topping up the manure water bucket with more water as you use it to
ensure a continual supply.

This is a great ‘pick me up’ or reviver for plants which have gone through
‘troubled times’ such as club root or bad weather. It is also useful to
apply as crops first start cropping as a booster feed. We use it on
tomatoes, aubergines and peppers until fruit starts to set.

In the long term a self sufficient gardener would be looking to improve the
soil en-mass with regular compost and manure applications so this ad-hoc
feed would be rarely needed. But as you start to improve your soil’s
fertility this quick-fix solution can be invaluable.

To make compost water or seaweed tea use exactly the same method described
above. You will need to rinse some of the salt from your seaweed haul
before making the seaweed tea. Seaweed tea is probably the best as seaweed
seems to contain every nutrient a plant could want. But as ever, use
whatever you can get your hands on.

manure-tea
Old 08-06-2011, 03:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

said

Found this article on manure tea and decided to give it a try........
so two weeks ago went picked up 2 5 gallon pails of fresh manure &
straw. I placed in 30 gallon barrel and filled with rain water.
Now I am finding the stuff stinks to high heaven.......smells like
very rank sewage......

News Flash: Shit stinks - even mine. ;-D

Old 08-06-2011, 06:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
news
Found this article on manure tea and decided to give it a try........ so
two
weeks ago went picked up 2 5 gallon pails of fresh manure & straw. I
placed in 30 gallon barrel and filled with rain water. Now I am finding
the
stuff stinks to high heaven.......smells like very rank sewage...... Is
this
stuff safe to use on vegetables?

Commonly known as Blackjack or poo stew. Yup - good stuff. Dilute it with
water till it looks like weak tea.

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Duck manure tea? Mark Edible Gardening 8 15-04-2004 11:33 AM
Manure tea for foliage feed? JohnDKestell Edible Gardening 0 08-07-2003 12:20 PM
Manure Tea [email protected] Edible Gardening 4 19-05-2003 07:44 AM
Horse manure tea on tomatoes Ralph Therien Gardening 1 27-04-2003 12:56 PM
Horse manure tea for tomatoes Ralph Therien Edible Gardening 3 27-04-2003 12:44 PM