Old 20-06-2011, 02:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default spraying around junipers

Hi, I have a hillside full of little juniper pacificas, which were
planted with one of those antiweed tarps, and then mulched.
We had a big hailstorm and the tarp got several minor knicks
in it somehow, even covered by the mulch, and
other stuff is popping up. I've weeded but it is getting out of hand
timewise, and I was wondering what I could spray that would
not kill the junipers. Oh and anyone that says 'just get out there
and pull them up' probably does not work 60hrs a week.

thx,

itchy.
Old 20-06-2011, 03:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

internaughtfull wrote:

I have a hillside full of little juniper pacificas, which were
planted with one of those antiweed tarps, and then mulched.
We had a big hailstorm and the tarp got several minor knicks
in it somehow, even covered by the mulch, and
other stuff is popping up. I've weeded but it is getting out of hand
timewise, and I was wondering what I could spray that would
not kill the junipers.

I can't imagine it would be too difficult to patch the holes... some
extra tarp, scissors, and a big roll of duct tape is cheap.
Old 20-06-2011, 06:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
internaughtfull wrote:

Hi, I have a hillside full of little juniper pacificas, which were
planted with one of those antiweed tarps, and then mulched.
We had a big hailstorm and the tarp got several minor knicks
in it somehow, even covered by the mulch, and
other stuff is popping up. I've weeded but it is getting out of hand
timewise, and I was wondering what I could spray that would
not kill the junipers. Oh and anyone that says 'just get out there
and pull them up' probably does not work 60hrs a week.

thx,

itchy.

With your busy schedule you want something more low maintenance. You
might consider moving into an urban apartment, or condominium.

On the other hand, the junipers are perennials, and the weeds are
annuals. As the junipers grow, they will crowd out the annuals. It may
look a bit trashy at first, but the junipers will fill in where the soil
gets light.

Tarp with nicks, or not, the wind, birds, and animals will deposit seeds
which will sprout on your best laid plans. If you don't want to pull
weeds, lay newspaper over them, and then spread mulch over the
newspaper. You will need to do this until the junipers are large enough
to shade out the weeds, but even so, there will still be the occasional
weed that will need to be pulled or covered.

You might be happier just paving over your hillside, and painting it
green, but the results will end up being the same as above.

Consider this your tuition in landscaping.

If you are contemplating using "Round-Up", you may want to look at the
following sites first:

http://www.responsibletechnology.org/blog/664

http://www.i-sis.org.uk/DMPGR.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundup_(herbicide)
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/
Old 20-06-2011, 07:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
internaughtfull wrote:

Hi, I have a hillside full of little juniper pacificas, which were
planted with one of those antiweed tarps, and then mulched.
We had a big hailstorm and the tarp got several minor knicks
in it somehow, even covered by the mulch, and
other stuff is popping up. I've weeded but it is getting out of hand
timewise, and I was wondering what I could spray that would
not kill the junipers. Oh and anyone that says 'just get out there
and pull them up' probably does not work 60hrs a week.

With your busy schedule you want something more low maintenance.

Junipers are about as low maintenence as it gets... pacificas is
extremely low maintenence, grows fast and will in short order cover
the ground completely. I'd pull up the weeds and patch and mulch the
holes... don't really need to but will look unsightly until the
junipers spread... those junipers will spread weeds or no.

http://www.donnan.com/spreading_junipers.htm

You might consider moving into an urban apartment, or condominium.

What an ignorant snotty useless uncalled for remark, typical billy
goat style intellect... I'm surprised you didn't tell him to move into
a dank n' dingy one room ghetto slum basement appartment like yours.

On the other hand, the junipers are perennials, and the weeds are
annuals.

Not true... most "weeds" are perennials... to some they're weeds to
other's they're wildflowers.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 20, 10:29*am, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
internaughtfull wrote:
I have a hillside full of little juniper pacificas, which were
planted with one of those antiweed tarps, and then mulched.
We had a big hailstorm and the tarp got several minor knicks
in it somehow, even covered by *the mulch, and
other stuff is popping up. I've weeded but it is getting out of hand
timewise, and I was wondering what I could spray that would
not kill the junipers.

I can't imagine it would be too difficult to patch the holes... some
extra tarp, scissors, and a big roll of duct tape is cheap.

That is not a bad idea. I had pulled up a few weeds and
disturbed a yellowjacket nest so I'm leaning towards the
spray method, also for the time factor. A little hand sprayer and
close spraying is working for now, although
there is this cataloupe type vine with thorns that is getting the
shears asap.