Old 24-06-2011, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Harvested first tomato- blah!

Very disappointed. Harvested first tomato - ate it straight off the
vine. Blah taste, no zing. It's one of the ubiquitous tomato plants
sold in So. Calif. nurseries. I am notorious about not tagging plants
carefully, so I THINK it's Champion or maybe Better Boy or Celebrity.

In any case, it's doesn't have the sharp, acid taste I like in a
tomato.

Just venting.

HB
Old 25-06-2011, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 14:26:03 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson wrote:
Very disappointed. Harvested first tomato - ate it straight off the
vine. Blah taste, no zing. It's one of the ubiquitous tomato plants
sold in So. Calif. nurseries. I am notorious about not tagging plants
carefully, so I THINK it's Champion or maybe Better Boy or Celebrity.

In any case, it's doesn't have the sharp, acid taste I like in a
tomato.

Cut back on the water and fertilizer. Overwatered tomatoes taste blah.

Old 25-06-2011, 08:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 24, 7:01*pm, Kay Lancaster wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 14:26:03 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson wrote:
Very disappointed. *Harvested first tomato - ate it straight off the
vine. *Blah taste, no zing. *It's one of the ubiquitous tomato plants
sold in So. Calif. nurseries. *I am notorious about not tagging plants
carefully, so I THINK it's Champion or maybe Better Boy or Celebrity.

In any case, it's doesn't have the sharp, acid taste I like in a
tomato.

Cut back on the water and fertilizer. *Overwatered tomatoes taste blah.

Thanks for suggestion, but really have not been overwatering, and
have applied zero fertilizer.
Will have to see how tomatoes from the other 3 vines taste before
drawing possibly erroneous conclusions.

HB
Old 27-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
Very It's one of the ubiquitous tomato plants
sold in So. Calif. nurseries.
Tomatoes are very easy to grow from seed. Choose a variety of seed that grows nice tomatoes at home, and grow those. Save money too.
Old 27-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Registered User

Location: California
Post

Your tomato harvest requires right nutrient solution formula and proper watering.
__________________
Fruit Trees

Old 27-06-2011, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

allen73 wrote:
Your tomato harvest requires right nutrient solution formula and
proper watering.

What 'nutrient solution'? Why will this improve the flavour? How will it
work if the cultivar is one that is not to the taste of the OP?

David

Old 29-06-2011, 01:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 24, 5:26*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
Very disappointed. *Harvested first tomato - ate it straight off the
vine. *Blah taste, no zing. *It's one of the ubiquitous tomato plants
sold in So. Calif. nurseries. *I am notorious about not tagging plants
carefully, so I THINK it's Champion or maybe Better Boy or Celebrity.

In any case, it's doesn't have the sharp, acid taste I like in a
tomato.

Just venting.

HB

Now you know why tomato fanatics start with known seed , way way
better selection of tomatos not engineered for mass markets.

Old 29-06-2011, 06:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson;927833 Wrote: Very It's one of the ubiquitous tomato plants

--
echinosum

Trust me, next year fer sure! I usually DO grow from seed, both
ornamentals and veggies, but this year, due to a host of
circumstances, I was so late planting that I ended up buying plants.
Looks like I wasted a whole season, tomato-wise, damn, damn! Hope my
corn and melons, that have been planted from seed, also too lae, do
better than the tomatoes.

I even (re)joined Seed Savers Network after many years in order to
plant good seeds, but unfortunately did not follow up and order
seeds. I will sure do so for my Fall plantings.

HB