Old 29-06-2011, 06:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Bessy will become beef soon :(

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 15:54:39 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Brooklyn1 wrote:
"FarmI" wrote:
"Nad R" wrote:

Sounds reasonable, something I have not considered. But cooking,
cooking well is still a learning curve fro me.

I notice you hang out in rec.food.cooking where there are some
woeful food discussions and some people who haven't got the first
clue about how to cook but it's always good for a laugh.

Same as here with some who like to imply they're farmers.

Cooking isn't rocket science and is a lot like gardening.

Obviously for you horticulture and botany are not sciences.

Any way and any topic to disagree over is good for you. You obviously
know that "rocket science" in popular culture stands for things too
complex and difficult for the ordinary person to deal with but for the
sake of having a fight you must try to take it literally. Groan.

Take yourself to the local library and borrow a good basic cookery
book

Cooking from a book is like paint by numbers is art. Believe it or
not the worlds best cooks are totally illiterate... very few of the
cooks working in the finast restaurants graduated high school, and
most can't read or write a lick. Most highly skilled occupations
don't require one know how to read, that's why a skilled carpenter
only needs a blueprint to build a house... skilled machinists don't
need to know how to read, they build jet engines by refering to a
picture.

More provocative nonsense. Do you ever get tired of making stuff up
just to be able to disagree?

I'd no more want someone cooking my dinner by following a
recipe than undergo surgery by someone refering to an instruction
manual.

And once again you miss the point. The advice was how to get started not
how to become a top chef.

You're no more a farmer than a burger flipper is a cook. It's
easy to ascertain from reading Farm1's posts that he barely possesses
the literacy level of a 4th grader, and even though he is a functional
illiterate he has demonstrated no innate talents whatsoever.

More accumulated insults for no reason.

Great cooks are born with the talent, it cannot be learned.

At birth the Great Chef in The Sky reaches down and touches each one with
greatness like a larval bee that is given royal jelly. Yes they spring
forth from their mothers fully formed requiring no further experience or
knowledge. In this modern era they only go through apprenticeships and
years at tertiary education as a pretence. Throughout history none of
them ever studied under more experienced chefs nor read anything but Micky
Mouse strips in the Sunday papers.

And do notice that Nad R just wants to learn to cook, he says nothing
about becoming the next Escoffier.

Liberace
was not only one of the world's most renowned pianists he was also a
very accomplished cook, both innate talents, achieved both with no
formal education.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberace

Entirely irrelevant.

Are you worried that if you are civil and reasonable that you will be
ignored? Inventing insults for strangers sure is a strange way to get
noticed.

I've been reading Sheldon's posts for at least a decade and he's always been
exactly the same. No-one has ever had a good word to say for him or about
him.

I'm not here to win any popularity contest, in fact I'd rather not be
popular... those most popular have the brownest noses. But if you've
been reading me for ten years you learned a lot.
Old 29-06-2011, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 wrote:
"FarmI" wrote:
"Nad R" wrote:

[...]

Brooklyn has some useful tips, I would not write him off. I have learned
that strong conservative types have a certain world view. I am a strong
liberal type with my views. However, a wide variety of human DNA is a
positive thing for the planet. Yen and Yang, balance. I base my life on
reason, but I do not always trust my presuppositions. I would much rather
have friends that have different views and "tolerant" of each other than
those that think alike.

Old 30-06-2011, 12:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 wrote:
"FarmI" wrote:
"Nad R" wrote:

[...]

Wish granted.

--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/
Old 30-06-2011, 04:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Nad R" wrote in message
Well, I picked up bessy from the butcher late afternoon yesterday.

I was wrong in some ways. I got a chuck steak and the fat was very yellow,
to my surprise. The butcher said this is normal for even a young Jersey.
It
is because dairy cows have a much higher beta carotene that gives the
cheese and fat a yellow look. The yellow fat in a Jersey was very
different
from an older cow.

???? What do you mean by that?

One of the signs that a carcase is from a Dairy cow is the fat shows yellow
no matter what age of the animals being killed.

He also said grass fed cows have a lower cholesterol count and tends to
taste better.

:-)) David and I mentioned that but not everyone is a fan of grass fed.
I'm pleased to see that your bucther is a convert.

The yellow fat is different than that of older cows. The
butcher said allot of his customers are now coming in with grass fed
Jersey
Cows because they are smaller, good for a small family, tend to be a
healthier meat to eat over other types of beef.

What did he mean by that? Was it to do with marbling?

Outside of high end steak houses. Bessy was far better than any steak I
have gotten from a supermarket.

Glad you enjoyed Bessie. long live the next Bessie.

Dunno about the US, but supermarket chains do not buy high end meat (despite
what they keep telling us int heir advertising). I've only ever bought
supermarket meat when really pressed for time and unable to get to a
butcher. Since I've retired, I have more time and I can't recall the last
time I bought any supermarket meat.

Old 30-06-2011, 05:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 wrote:
"FarmI" wrote:
"Nad R" wrote:

[...]

I've learned nothing from any of your posts except that you are a miserable,
nasty piece of shit and that your opinion of your own knowledge and
abilities far exceeds the reality.

Old 30-06-2011, 12:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

"FraudI" wrote:
"Brooklyn1" wrote:
"FraudI" wrote:
"David Hare-Scott"wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
"FraudI" wrote:
"Nad R" wrote:

[...]

Thank you for indicating how much I get under your skin and annoy you.
And the only reality is that I'm for real and can and do prove it
while all you prove is that you're a Fraud1.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

"FraudI" wrote:
"Brooklyn1" wrote:
"FraudI" wrote:
"David Hare-Scott"wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
"FraudI" wrote:
"Nad R" wrote:

[...]

LOL. Annoying is soemthing that happens in real life, not some misanthrope
on usenet who has been told by everyone who comes into contact with him for
as long as I've seen his posts, that he's a total tosspot

And the only reality is that I'm for real and can and do prove it
while all you prove is that you're a Fraud1.

I know you have a shed full of stuff, but that just means 'all hat, no
cattle'.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote in news:4e08054f$0$2444$afc38c87
@news.optusnet.com.au:

Hello there Lee - long time no see. What have you been up to?

knitting lace. got a nice Kromski Minstrel so i'm working on getting
my yarn down to lace weight (and making bulky is damned difficult! i
got the bulky flyer & big bobbins too).
doing a little gardening, only 11 varieties of tomatoes this year. i
put in some cherry trees, an apple, gooseberries & jostaberries. oh,
and i rooted a branch off my black mulberry in NY & brought it to NH.
it seems to be growing pretty well.
lee
Old 05-07-2011, 07:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

"enigma" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote in

Hello there Lee - long time no see. What have you been up to?

knitting lace.

More power to you! I keep looking at Orenberg and Shetland patterns and
giving then a wide berth despite the fact that I have the long and very fine
needles and I even have 2 different colours of suitable yarn. Life is too
short ATM. I'm still sometimes making my bobbin lace though. I spend most
of my time knitting socks although I am nearly finished a
jumper/pullover/sweater for Himself. I'ts woold for which I didn't ahve a
pattern so have had to make it up as I went along and had trouble with both
the sleeves and the neck. The sleeves are now right but I'm not yet
finished the second knitting of the neck region.

got a nice Kromski Minstrel

Nice! I was reading about them in one of my older 'Spin Off' mags just the
other day. They look lovely. I've now got 3 wheels.

I've also been reading up on Schacht looms. I fancy getting a Wolf.
Trouble is the price to ship one to Oz may be more than I'd care to pay but
I haven't yet asked the question. the other irritqting thing is that the
Schacht agent is over in Western Australia so a whole continent away (and I
know Schacht want' ship direct whent hey have and agent in a country)..

so i'm working on getting
my yarn down to lace weight (and making bulky is damned difficult!

:-)) It certainly is difficult once you learn to spin finer grades. I
suspect I couldn't spin a real bulky now to save myself.

i got the bulky flyer & big bobbins too).

Not something I'd bother with I must admit, but then it's probalby not as
cold here as where you are.

doing a little gardening, only 11 varieties of tomatoes this year. i
put in some cherry trees, an apple, gooseberries & jostaberries. oh, and
i rooted a branch off my black mulberry in NY & brought it to NH. it
seems to be growing pretty well.

:-)) sounds like life is keeping you as busy as ever. It's been nice to
see your post and hear what you're up to. Please keep looking in
occasionally.