Old 27-07-2011, 09:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Sprinkler question

Brooklyn1 wrote:
Your water company like every other US water company is delivering
residential properties no more than about 40 psi, with volume
limited by meter diameter. Most folks on private wells will have
much greater pressure and volume than what a municipal water
company supplies residential customers... you'd be doing good if
your tap can produce four gallons a minute. With most
neighborhoods on a municipal water system it's suggested to run
automatic sprinkler systems during the wee morning hours before
people awaken for the day, and then to have no more than 4-5
sprinkler heads per zone.

Seattle city water pressure at my house is 70 psi, certainly well
above "no more than about 40 psi".

How do you know that you have 70 psi water pressure inside your
home, people on city water don't have a pressure tank. Most
residenses (especially older homes) would spring leaks at 70 psi...
clothes/dish washer fill hoses, ice makers, toilets and such
especially... of course you can post the Seattle water URL that
shows their residential pressure. Municipal water companys
typically supply about 50 psi to residential street mains but the
residential meter reduces pressure to about 40 psi, which is more
than enough pressure for the average home. Municipal water companys
don't supply higher pressure than is adequate, they are averse to
destroying peoples homes.

Unlike you, I actually know, rather than making unbased claims. I
put a guage on a faucet - it read 70 psi.

You're full of poo.

Pot, kettle, black. To the extreme.

It's nonsense that older homes would spring leaks at 70 psi. Older
homes all over Seattle deal with it fine. 70 psi is well within the
design limits of plumbing pipes. Sure, all plumbing eventually has
to be replaced, but higher pressure may delay that, as it allows
sufficient water to get through internally corroded, constricted
pipes.

I take it you won't post an URL that indicates your water company's
residential water pressure.

Unlike you, I am not an idiot. I know that water pressure varies around the
city, depending on the elevation relative to the source. Can you really be this
stupid? Incredible!

Ever notice that fire hydrants are different colors in different places? Ever
wonder why?

The more you say, the more stupid you appear.

Old 27-07-2011, 11:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 12:13:53 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Bob F" wrote in message
Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 08:58:21 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:

My neighborhood is on a water system that is gravity-fed from a
1,000,000 gallon tank up on a hill higher than any house.

That's typical.

The pressure in my lines is high enough that a hose turned on full
will writhe and snap like an injured snake.

Is "injured snake" some new water company standard?

[...]

I recognize brooklyn1 as a pure D psycho idiot from foodie newsgroups.
Don't waste your time pig wrestling. You and I know the facts, and use a
gauge and understand physics. brooklyn1 is a mere child, at least mentally.

So how come you're the pinhead with the sprinkler problem? duh

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .
Old 27-07-2011, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 13:54:29 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
[...]

Pressure varies within a range by residential, light industry, heavy
industry, etc., does anyone really think water company's supply water
pressure helter skelter... you're the imbecile who is *ascared* to
post your water company's stats.

Old 28-07-2011, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:

[...]

We have a pressure regulator where our service line from the meter
enters the house. Thus, the house might have 40 psi.

However, our hose bibs and garden sprinklers are on a line that taps the
service line before the pressure regulator. I believe that line is
getting whatever pressure is in the main in the street. With a
1,000,000 gallon storage tank that has a base about 100 feet higher than
my house and that is ususally at least half full (another 30 feet), we
get about 130 feet of "head" or about 56 psi in our garden line.

I just received an E-mail from my water service. The pressure at my
meter averages 88 psi. Yes, there is some loss resulting from the
narrowness and bends in the feed lines from the meter to my sprinklers
and hose bibs; but that should not be enough to reduce the pressure to
household values.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

Old 28-07-2011, 03:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
[...]

Given that our water flows by gravity from a tank at an elevation
greater than any customer, the pressure is dictated entirely by location
and not by the characteristics of the users.

There are a few hilltop homes where the water service needs to use a
pump to maintain pressure. Of course, the water reaches the tanks by
being pumped uphill.

It takes the better part of a day at normal usage to drain the tank.
Thus, gravity feed means that almost all of us will still have water if
there is a power failure. There are about 5-6 such tanks -- each
holding 1-2 million gallons -- serving the entire community: homes for
over 14,000 residents, stores, restaurants, six schools, and seven parks.

Yes, we have color-coded fire hydrants. Yellow means the potable
(regular) water system at 88 psi, and lavender means reclaimed water at
a lower pressure from the local sewage plant. The mains for reclaimed
water are at a lower pressure so that, if both potable and reclaimed
mains break near each other, reclaimed water will not get into the
potable main and contaminate it. The reclaimed water is used for
irrigating some parks, greenbelts, two golf courses in adjacent
communities, and some school playfields.

Old 28-07-2011, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David E. Ross" wrote:

[...]

A lotta gum flapping but not one bit of proof... said water company
would have such info at their web site... a normal brained person
promoting the truth would have posted a link rather than type a whole
fercocktah story. I know you're lying because golf courses irrigate
with their own wells, natural springs, and ponds/lakes on their own
property, they use way too much water to pay by the gallon. Next
you'll be telling us about how your local municipal water company is
irrigating farm land. Ross, I've been reading your garbage for a
while, you haven't told the truth yet, you're a bullshitting barroom
sot who can make up something to top anything... you're not mentally
balanced.
Old 28-07-2011, 05:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 wrote:
.... you're not mentally
balanced.

Pot, kettle, black!

LOL!

Old 28-07-2011, 09:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 wrote:
... you're not mentally
balanced.

Maybe his water pressure is too high. Ever think of that?

Hah!

Steve