Old 25-07-2011, 07:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Sprinkler question

I just added on about six bubblers to three Orbit gear drive lawn
sprinklers. They have a 3/4" feed at about 50 psi. The three lawn
sprinklers now don't spray nearly as much. I took off the guts, and the
filters were not clogged. I turned down the bubblers so they are just
coming out a little. The other stations function properly.

Do you think I have a clog, or is that too many to put on one line? I can
put a pressure reducer on to that leg. But like I say, I barely have the
bubblers on, and don't think that's enough to drop the performance of the
lawn sprinklers by half.

I'm puzzled.

Help appreciated.

Steve

Old 25-07-2011, 08:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

g'day steve,

could there be a limit to how many head can be run or added to system?
if you add heads in then that effects how well what was there before
works, might need to divide or get heads that deliver at lower
pressure??

or somehow increase the pressure in?

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 11:33:46 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

snipped

--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

and also: Isaiah 38:1&17-18 KJV

1: Thus saith the Lord, set thine house in order: for thou shalt die and not live.
17: for thou hast cast all my sins behind my back.
18: For the grave cannot praise thee, death cannot celebrate thee: they that go down in the pit cannot hope for truth.

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Seek truth and understanding will follow"

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 25-07-2011, 09:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

"gardenlen" wrote in message
g'day steve,

could there be a limit to how many head can be run or added to system?
if you add heads in then that effects how well what was there before
works, might need to divide or get heads that deliver at lower
pressure??

or somehow increase the pressure in?

Have considered a booster pump, as this is a gravity fed/booster pump
situation from a local mountain stream, and a holding reservoir. Pressure
varies a lot according to use.

Steve

Old 25-07-2011, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/25/11 1:20 PM, Steve B wrote:
"gardenlen" wrote in message
g'day steve,

could there be a limit to how many head can be run or added to system?
if you add heads in then that effects how well what was there before
works, might need to divide or get heads that deliver at lower
pressure??

or somehow increase the pressure in?

Have considered a booster pump, as this is a gravity fed/booster pump
situation from a local mountain stream, and a holding reservoir. Pressure
varies a lot according to use.

Steve

My neighborhood is on a water system that is gravity-fed from a
1,000,000 gallon tank up on a hill higher than any house. The pressure
in my lines is high enough that a hose turned on full will writhe and
snap like an injured snake.

I have drip emitters for three dwarf citrus in large flower pots (about
21 inches across and equally deep). These emitters are tied into my
regular garden sprinklers. Despite the available pressure, each emitter
is on a separate sprinkler valve.

For my garden, there are 7 valves: 2 in front and 5 in back (popup and
shrub heads). There is a separate (8th) valve for the drip system for
my roses in front on the far side of my driveway (seven emitters). And
there are 4 valves for my hill (rotating heads). Since emitters have a
much lower flow rate than bubblers, I can run the drip system for the
roses while another valve is open, but I cannot otherwise run 2 valves
at the same time.

All of this is to indicate that the "load" on a sprinkler system must be
balanced even when the available pressure is quite high.

Fortunately for me, the 7 garden valves and the drip valve for the roses
are on a clock. I don't have to keep running outside to shut one valve
and open another. I do the 4 hill valves manually, but my hill is
irrigated only every third weekend.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 26-07-2011, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

Steve B wrote:
I just added on about six bubblers to three Orbit gear drive lawn
sprinklers. They have a 3/4" feed at about 50 psi. The three lawn
sprinklers now don't spray nearly as much. I took off the guts, and
the filters were not clogged. I turned down the bubblers so they are
just coming out a little. The other stations function properly.

Do you think I have a clog, or is that too many to put on one line? I can
put a pressure reducer on to that leg. But like I say, I
barely have the bubblers on, and don't think that's enough to drop
the performance of the lawn sprinklers by half.

I'm puzzled.

Help appreciated.

Steve

It's hard to say without being there and having some feel for how the system
behaves under different loads. If you suspect a clog then open joints
progressively (and close them again) starting at the pump until you find the
section with a big drop in flow. I am assuming you have polypipe not
threaded metal. OTOH if the system returns to how it was beforehand when
you turn off the new heads then it is overloaded.

Old 26-07-2011, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross wrote:

My neighborhood is on a water system that is gravity-fed from a
1,000,000 gallon tank up on a hill higher than any house.

That's typical.

The pressure in my lines is high enough that a hose turned on full
will writhe and snap like an injured snake.

Is "injured snake" some new water company standard?

Your water company like every other US water company is delivering
residential properties no more than about 40 psi, with volume limited
by meter diameter. Most folks on private wells will have much greater
pressure and volume than what a municipal water company supplies
residential customers... you'd be doing good if your tap can produce
four gallons a minute. With most neighborhoods on a municipal water
system it's suggested to run automatic sprinkler systems during the
wee morning hours before people awaken for the day, and then to have
no more than 4-5 sprinkler heads per zone.
Old 26-07-2011, 04:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
[...]

How about this .......... I put a pressure reducer on the leg I put to the
new plants. They are bubblers, and can be cranked down. That's why I'm
surprised that there was such a drop in pressure. I did take the guts out
of all four of the sprinklers at once and turn on the water, so if there was
gunk in there, it should have blown out. I am going to try both a pressure
reducer and a ninety and see if that solves it. I may have to hook that leg
to another water source.

It's always sumpthin .............

Steve

Old 26-07-2011, 04:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Steve B wrote:
I just added on about six bubblers to three Orbit gear drive lawn
sprinklers. They have a 3/4" feed at about 50 psi. The three lawn
sprinklers now don't spray nearly as much. I took off the guts, and
the filters were not clogged. I turned down the bubblers so they are
just coming out a little. The other stations function properly.

Do you think I have a clog, or is that too many to put on one line? I can put
a pressure reducer on to that leg. But like I say, I
barely have the bubblers on, and don't think that's enough to drop
the performance of the lawn sprinklers by half.

I'm puzzled.

Help appreciated.

You don't have enough volume getting through to maintain pressure for the
increased flow. If your source is large enough, increasing the size of the pipe
feeding them would get them all to work together. Otherwise, split the bubblers
off into another "zone" if you want them to operate at higher volume.

I used 1" PVC for all the main pipes in my system.

Mixing different kinds of heads on one zone can be problematic, as can adding
heads to existing zones that may already be at their limits. Also, there may be
low flow and high flow heads of each sort available.

Old 26-07-2011, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:

[...]

Seattle city water pressure at my house is 70 psi, certainly well above "no more
than about 40 psi".

Old 26-07-2011, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 08:58:21 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:

[...]

How do you know that you have 70 psi water pressure inside your home,
people on city water don't have a pressure tank. Most residenses
(especially older homes) would spring leaks at 70 psi... clothes/dish
washer fill hoses, ice makers, toilets and such especially... of
course you can post the Seattle water URL that shows their residential
pressure. Municipal water companys typically supply about 50 psi to
residential street mains but the residential meter reduces pressure to
about 40 psi, which is more than enough pressure for the average home.
Municipal water companys don't supply higher pressure than is
adequate, they are averse to destroying peoples homes.

Old 26-07-2011, 11:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:

[...]

We have a pressure regulator where our service line from the meter
enters the house. Thus, the house might have 40 psi.

However, our hose bibs and garden sprinklers are on a line that taps the
service line before the pressure regulator. I believe that line is
getting whatever pressure is in the main in the street. With a
1,000,000 gallon storage tank that has a base about 100 feet higher than
my house and that is ususally at least half full (another 30 feet), we
get about 130 feet of "head" or about 56 psi in our garden line.

Old 27-07-2011, 03:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Sprinkler question/redux

As quickly as it came on, my lack of pressure has gone away. We planted
today, about six bubblers, none of them opened up very much. Not adding
any, just planting the plants. I would say extending the line with six
bubblers may have dropped the performance a little. Oh, I have one gear
drive Orbit added until these new plants get established. But when I turned
it off with the in-line 90, the other four didn't jump up noticeably in
spraying. When they were low, they were just going at a slow pee stream
rate. Now they're going 25' with lots of spray. I may still put a pressure
reducer on there anyway. I think it may have been low pressure from the
source, but I was reading near 50 psi on the gauge.

Quizzical ................

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Old 27-07-2011, 03:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:

[...]

Unlike you, I actually know, rather than making unbased claims. I put a guage on
a faucet - it read 70 psi.

It's nonsense that older homes would spring leaks at 70 psi. Older homes all
over Seattle deal with it fine. 70 psi is well within the design limits of
plumbing pipes. Sure, all plumbing eventually has to be replaced, but higher
pressure may delay that, as it allows sufficient water to get through internally
corroded, constricted pipes.

Old 27-07-2011, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:

[...]

You're full of poo.

It's nonsense that older homes would spring leaks at 70 psi. Older homes all
over Seattle deal with it fine. 70 psi is well within the design limits of
plumbing pipes. Sure, all plumbing eventually has to be replaced, but higher
pressure may delay that, as it allows sufficient water to get through internally
corroded, constricted pipes.

I take it you won't post an URL that indicates your water company's
residential water pressure.
Old 27-07-2011, 08:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:

[...]

I recognize brooklyn1 as a pure D psycho idiot from foodie newsgroups.
Don't waste your time pig wrestling. You and I know the facts, and use a
gauge and understand physics. brooklyn1 is a mere child, at least mentally.

HTH

Steve