Old 01-08-2011, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Planter suggestions

Hi all

I just inherited a rectangular planter, about 3 feet by 16 inches by 16
inches deep. I am looking for suggestions on what to stick in there. I live
in Rockaway, NYC, close to the ocean, so salt might be an issue. We do get
hard freezes here. I would prefer some kind of hardy perennial. Would some
lilacs do OK in that size planter? I don't know if they could take the
winters. Thanks

Chris
Old 01-08-2011, 10:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 14:42:15 -0500, Chris Thompson
wrote:

Hi all

I just inherited a rectangular planter, about 3 feet by 16 inches by 16
inches deep. I am looking for suggestions on what to stick in there. I live
in Rockaway, NYC, close to the ocean, so salt might be an issue. We do get
hard freezes here. I would prefer some kind of hardy perennial. Would some
lilacs do OK in that size planter? I don't know if they could take the
winters.

Lilac likes winter but doesn't like planters. Many succulents do
well.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/1/11 12:42 PM, Chris Thompson wrote:
Hi all

I just inherited a rectangular planter, about 3 feet by 16 inches by 16
inches deep. I am looking for suggestions on what to stick in there. I live
in Rockaway, NYC, close to the ocean, so salt might be an issue. We do get
hard freezes here. I would prefer some kind of hardy perennial. Would some
lilacs do OK in that size planter? I don't know if they could take the
winters. Thanks

Chris

Lilacs enjoy a cold winter. My daughter lives in Saskatoon, Canada,
where winter temperatures below -30F are common and lilacs are so common
that they are a cliche.

Salt should not be an issue if the potting mix in the container drains
well. You might want to add a little gypsum once a year to help remove
salt from the soil, but salt in the air should not be a major problem.

However, lilacs are woody shrubs that can grow quite large. I don't
think your container is deep enough.

The best source of a recommendation might be a nearby comprehensive
nursery (not a hardware store or lumber yard).

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 02-08-2011, 02:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David E. Ross" wrote in
:

[...]

Do you think one of the "dwarf" varieties might do well, if I kept it well-
pruned?

Thanks

Chris
Old 02-08-2011, 03:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

Chris Thompson writes:

"David E. Ross" wrote in
:

[...]

Lilacs bloom in early spring and are relatively unattractive the rest of
the year.

Dwarf lilacs are 4 to 8 feet tall.

I have 2 outside a window that I appreciate in spring but once I start
spending time outside, they're done.

I'd be inclined to fill a planter with annuals.

--
Dan Espen

Old 02-08-2011, 04:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
Chris Thompson writes:

"David E. Ross" wrote in
:

[...]

A topiary tree. Evergreen or boxwood or...

http://www.google.com/search?q=spira...iw=981&bih=632

Old 02-08-2011, 06:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/1/11 6:06 PM, Chris Thompson wrote:
"David E. Ross" wrote in
:

[...]

Any details regarding the actual growing of lilacs are beyond me. They
don't do well in my climate because we don't get snow.

Where I live, I would use such a planter for evergreen bulbs or
bulb-like plants, perhaps Agapanthus, Alstroemeria, or daylilies. Or I
might fill it with various colors of wax-leaf begonias or 'Goodwin Creek
Grey' lavendar.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David E. Ross" wrote:

Any details regarding the actual growing of lilacs are beyond me. They
don't do well in my climate because we don't get snow.

Lilacs do grow well in the frozen north. It is a large plant for pots. The
main reason for people wanting the plant is for the sweet oder the plant
produces. The best place for Lilacs are next to outside screened windows so
the nice scent can be sent through the home during summer. I wound not put
them next to a porch or patio where people sit because nice smelling plants
also attract all kinds of insects.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David E. Ross" wrote:

Chris Thompson wrote:

I just inherited a rectangular planter, about 3 feet by 16 inches by
16 inches deep. I am looking for suggestions on what to stick in
there. I live in Rockaway, NYC, close to the ocean, so salt might be
an issue. We do get hard freezes here. I would prefer some kind of
hardy perennial. Would some lilacs do OK in that size planter? I
don't know if they could take the winters. Thanks

Lilacs enjoy a cold winter.

I seriously doubt lilac will survive growing in a container, certainly
not freezing winters.

This is probably the most common container plant one finds in NYC:
http://www.learn2grow.com/plants/sed...tabile-carmen/

Will survive the salty air of the Rockaways with no problem.
They're easy to propagate, just put a bit into moist soil, even one
leaf will form a plant (most plants in NYC were started from a piece
glommed from a neighbor's). I have several growing in my flower beds,
they survive Catskill winters easily; -30ºF is common. On just about
every street in Brooklyn one finds this plant growing on a stoop inna
c-ment-a pot... even in pots filled with cigarette and guinea-stinker
butts they leaf out every spring... the less care the better they
thrive... I don't ever remember seeing anyone watering them. I'd
plant more but the deer and rabbits love them.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Nad R wrote:

Lilacs do grow well in the frozen north. It is a large plant for pots. The
main reason for people wanting the plant is for the sweet oder the plant
produces. The best place for Lilacs are next to outside screened windows so
the nice scent can be sent through the home during summer. I wound not put
them next to a porch or patio where people sit because nice smelling plants
also attract all kinds of insects.

I've never seen lilac growing in a container, even the smaller types
grow too large, and I doubt they would survive a hard freeze out of
the ground. I planted a lilac bush this spring to help soften one of
my utility poles, this one:
http://www.naturehills.com/product/m...FM4Aod_ 0CQvA
I bought mine from a local nursery, a decent size but still has a lot
of growing to do:
http://i52.tinypic.com/907gbk.jpg

Old 02-08-2011, 03:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote in news:7rtf371gdtvjr9coh5gn1jj482msgsb07s@
4ax.com:

"David E. Ross" wrote:

Chris Thompson wrote:

[...]

Looks great, thanks!

Chris
Old 02-08-2011, 04:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Nad R wrote:

Lilacs do grow well in the frozen north. It is a large plant for pots.
The main reason for people wanting the plant is for the sweet oder the
plant produces. The best place for Lilacs are next to outside screened
windows so the nice scent can be sent through the home during summer.
I wound not put them next to a porch or patio where people sit because
nice smelling plants also attract all kinds of insects.

I've never seen lilac growing in a container, even the smaller types
grow too large, and I doubt they would survive a hard freeze out of
the ground. I planted a lilac bush this spring to help soften one of
my utility poles, this one:
http://www.naturehills.com/product/m...?gclid=CL213sH
BoqkCFYFM4Aod_0CQvA I bought mine from a local nursery, a decent size
but still has a lot of growing to do:
http://i52.tinypic.com/907gbk.jpg

Well, I also spent a few minutes on Google looking around and I came across
this:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...625653.html?10

Some people seem to have some success.

Chris
Old 03-08-2011, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Hi all

I just inherited a rectangular planter, about 3 feet by 16 inches by 16
inches deep. I am looking for suggestions on what to stick in there. I live
in Rockaway, NYC, close to the ocean, so salt might be an issue. We do get
hard freezes here. I would prefer some kind of hardy perennial. Would some
lilacs do OK in that size planter? I don't know if they could take the
winters. Thanks

Chris

Put an evergreen azalea into it. I have grown them successfully here
in Northern NJ in tubs. They do well, will provide you with blossoms
in the spring and will be an easy to manage shrub the rest of the
year.

When I lived in Manhattan, I did not have your sea breezes, but did
all my terrace gardening in containers. I even had a large ginko for
years and years..

Best of luck.

Boron
Old 03-08-2011, 03:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

I too had thought about azaleas. Since I'm not familiar with your
climate, however, I was not sure they would do well.

Your container is the right size for two. With careful watering and
feeding, it might even hold three. There are many great varieties. You
might consider 'Inga', which I found was a repeat bloomer that sometimes
bloomed not only in the spring but also once or twice in the summer. My
favorite is 'George Taber', which I have as an informal hedge in front
of my camellias; but it blooms only once a year.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Azaleas bloom once in the spring in the north.

--
Dan Espen

[IMG] code is On

Raised bed planter on a deck? [email protected] Gardening 5 27-05-2003 11:08 PM
Planter boxes and ideas for limited space OhSojourner Gardening 4 25-04-2003 05:08 PM
Neglected planter david United Kingdom 1 13-04-2003 10:08 AM
veges in a planter box Trish Brown Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:32 AM
Prunus caroliniana in a planter DAN Gardening 0 18-02-2003 10:03 PM