Old 20-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Registered User

Default Which tree/bush would be best?

Hi, I am new to this forum and not experienced at any form of gardening apart from cutting lawn etc. I'm looking to plant some trees in my back garden which is in full sun from midday onwards and is well drained/sandy soil. The reason for this is to block out a large building/summerhouse built by my neighbour towards the bottom of our garden, this is a real eyesore as it stands 3m high. I am not worried about blocking out any light to my neighbours property, I did think about planting a row of Red Robin shrubs along border and was wondering if this is the right choice or any others.

Thanks Rod
Old 20-08-2011, 10:22 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hiles View Post
Hi, I am new to this forum and not experienced at any form of gardening apart from cutting lawn etc. I'm looking to plant some trees in my back garden which is in full sun from midday onwards and is well drained/sandy soil. The reason for this is to block out a large building/summerhouse built by my neighbour towards the bottom of our garden, this is a real eyesore as it stands 3m high. I am not worried about blocking out any light to my neighbours property, I did think about planting a row of Red Robin shrubs along border and was wondering if this is the right choice or any others.

Thanks Rod
Hi Rod

I am sorry to hear you are having this problem, ref the summerhouse, The Photinia Red Robin as you mentioned would be a great choice, Its evergreen, has quite a dense habit, the main benefit being its very attractive foliage. The new growth is red turning green as it ages. Another interesting option is bamboo, this again grows to provide a very dense screen. Pyracantha will give you the benefit of being evergreen with the colour of bright red or orange berries in the autumn.

Hope this helps!
__________________
You don't have to be Shrek to have green fingers!
For great advice and quality plants visit http://plantsgaloreonline.co.uk or call us on: 01279 792 321
Old 21-08-2011, 04:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/20/11 2:22 PM, Plants_Galore wrote:
Rod Hiles;933551 Wrote:
[...]

If you plant bamboo, be sure it is clumping and not running. Running
bamboos can be very invasive and difficult to control. Much of both
genus Bambusa and genus Fargesia are clumping while much of both genus
Phyllostachys and genus Sasa are running. There are a few other genera
of bamboos, both clumping and running; so be careful.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 23-08-2011, 09:15 AM
Registered User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hiles View Post
Hi, I am new to this forum and not experienced at any form of gardening apart from cutting lawn etc. I'm looking to plant some trees in my back garden which is in full sun from midday onwards and is well drained/sandy soil. The reason for this is to block out a large building/summerhouse built by my neighbour towards the bottom of our garden, this is a real eyesore as it stands 3m high. I am not worried about blocking out any light to my neighbours property, I did think about planting a row of Red Robin shrubs along border and was wondering if this is the right choice or any others.

Thanks Rod

This genus of about 300 species of evergreen i herbs and shrubs is spread throughout northern temperate regions with some also found in southern Africa and South America. It is a member of the large daisy family, but most species bear small white or yellow flowers.

Artemisia vulgaris was thought by ancient herbalists to have magical properties. This bushy cultivar, 'Oriental Limelight', has yellow and green leaves.
Old 24-08-2011, 06:45 AM
Registered User

Location: California
Post

1.Acer palmatum
2.Amelanchier lamarckii (snowy mespilus)
3.Sorbus vilmorinii
4.Pyrus calleryana
5.Acer griseum
6.Caragana arborescens (Siberian pea tree)
7.Cercis siliquastrum (Judas tree)
8.Myrtus communis (myrtle)
9.Aralia elata ‘Variegata’ (Japanese angelica tree)
10.Embothrium coccineum (Chilean fire bush)
11.Eucryphia x nymansensis ‘Nymansay’
Fruit Trees