Old 08-05-2003, 10:20 PM
JAC

Default which Felco would you recommend?

I want to get a Felco for my wife for Mother's day. She has avg size hands,
rt handed, and some problems with arthritis. These would be to prune roses,
as opposed to cutting the flowers, if that makes a difference.

Thanks
John Clarke

Old 09-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Shiva

JAC wrote:

I want to get a Felco for my wife for Mother's day.

How old are your roses and how many do you have? If they are over 4 years
old, you have more than 40, and you are in Zone 7 or up, your wife will
not want to use the regular small felcos if she hard prunes (i.e. thicker
canes).

I use #8 felcos, but most of the cutting I do is for the vase. I rarely
hard prune. When I do, I use the long handled "loppers." Since small felco
pruners begin at about $50, my loppers are another brand.

Old 09-05-2003, 06:20 AM
Cass

JAC wrote:

I want to get a Felco for my wife for Mother's day. She has avg size hands,
rt handed, and some problems with arthritis. These would be to prune roses,
as opposed to cutting the flowers, if that makes a difference.

I wear a size 7 glove, medium large for women. My Felcos are No. 7,
with the rotating, ergonomic arm, which I love (Thanks, Allegra). Get
her those. The blades are big enough to be effective, and yet that
rotating arm makes the tool work for your hand instead of vice versa.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:44 PM
FOW

I think Felcos are crappy shears. I have many pair of Shears Felcos, ( #
2's ) Coronas ,All kinds of them. I feel these are the best you can get.
Made by Florian, they look cheap and feel kinda cheap , until you use them
for a day or 2. They have a LIFETIME warranty. I go to the local county fair
and they give me a new pair every year, even if their not broke OR dull. You
can cut up to your thumb size..........1/2 - 5/8 in Dia. With ONE finger
only. They also cut closer to the cane at just the right spot. I must have
given away 25 pair to older friends, who LOVE them. They want 35 bucks on
their website but I get them for about 25 bucks. I have their Maxi- Loppers
and can cut up to my wrist size with one finger on the handle. WAY faster
than a chainsaw............hell of a lot safer too.
Keep them sharp with a few strokes of a Diamond file every 2 months and I
believe you'll Never touch a pair of over priced Felco's again. Here's the
link to see them , I think they call them 701 hand pruners.
http://www.florianratchetcut.com/pruningtools/

Old 09-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Theo Asir

I'm with you on this one.
I always thought Felco was
way over priced.

My present shears I picked up
for $5-6 from home depot 5 years ago.

I has a nitride cutting blade I've never
sharpened. All metal parts with nice
soft grips. I use it to prune dead wood
and even woody growth.
Since its only 5 bucks
I don't worry about damaging it.

I've even left it out in the rain
several times. No effect.

I didn't particularly like the looks
and it looks cheap but man is it
easy to use.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 10-05-2003, 02:08 PM
lms

In article cd52a158f827ef3e042374d14dab2f65@TeraNews,
says...

I'm with you on this one.
I always thought Felco was
way over priced.

My present shears I picked up
for $5-6 from home depot 5 years ago.

paid $42 for some felcos bout ten years ago and the only moving part, other
than the blades, which is the catch, broke--or rather, unscrewed itself and
disappeared--within a year or so. It is the weakest link and I always thought
this was pathetic, that under average use this could happen and so quickly.
So I could never close them.

http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/pruuners.jpg
(a shocking view actually hahahahaa, complete with blade angle inset,
which almost perfectly mirrors felcos as well)

My fave pair, even before the felcos buried themselves somewhere, remained
the Wiss 600 unit, although I kinda like that Wallace unit there too, they're
a good 15 years old. The Wiss guys are pushin 40 and still performing
flawlessly. An ultra simple design, able to snip the tiniest bud off the
smallest of micros. And if I can get the blades around it, it's as good as
hacked. Any gd rose cane, that is.

You can pretty much go and buy one of each kind of cheap and good pruner for
the price you pay for felcos and you have to know that the taiwanese etc.,
go to great lengths to gussy up most things they copy.
Corona's pretty much getting too proud of their units too. Forget them too.
They think they're felcos or something.
Of course if you go this way you can't put your pruners out on the coffee
table for all the world to see, everybody'd know how cheap you are.

I has a nitride cutting blade I've never
sharpened. All metal parts with nice
soft grips. I use it to prune dead wood
and even woody growth.
Since its only 5 bucks
I don't worry about damaging it.

I've even left it out in the rain
several times. No effect.

I didn't particularly like the looks
and it looks cheap but man is it
easy to use.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

I'd say the best way to get pruners is to inherit them. But I'd otherwise
agree with you philosopy.