Old 31-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Registered User

Default Potting Shed Site

Hi There, I'm Looking At Investing In A Potting Shed, However, The Only Site I Have Available Is A Norteast Facing Wall, With Some Confiers 10 Feet Away (to The Ne). There Is No Obstruction To The East So The East Side Would Get The Morning Sun. Can Anyone Tell Me If This Will Be Enough To Make Good Use Of A Potting Shed Or Am I Wasting My Money??!!
Old 31-08-2011, 11:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

feepington wrote:
Hi There, I'm Looking At Investing In A Potting Shed, However, The
Only Site I Have Available Is A Norteast Facing Wall, With Some
Confiers 10 Feet Away (to The Ne). There Is No Obstruction To The
East So The East Side Would Get The Morning Sun. Can Anyone Tell Me
If This Will Be Enough To Make Good Use Of A Potting Shed Or Am I
Wasting My Money??!!

It depends what you want to do in there, where you are.and your financial
situation. Your question is vague.

Why are you typing in start case, it is hard to read.

David

Old 31-08-2011, 06:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 07:48:33 +0000, feepington
wrote:

Hi There, I'm Looking At Investing In A Potting Shed, However, The Only
Site I Have Available Is A Norteast Facing Wall, With Some Confiers 10
Feet Away (to The Ne). There Is No Obstruction To The East So The East
Side Would Get The Morning Sun. Can Anyone Tell Me If This Will Be
Enough To Make Good Use Of A Potting Shed Or Am I Wasting My Money??!!

A potting shed can be located anywhere... it's primarily for storage;
pots, potting soil, ammendments, tools, and a work bench for
potting/repotting... it's not a greenhouse. Personally I'd much
rather do my potting in as shaded/cool a location as possible...
working in a shed in the sun is like working in an oven. All of the
pre-made potting sheds I've seen are absolutely worthless/shoddily
made toys r us structures, cheapo materials stapled together, if they
last two years you're lucky... get a book of plans and build your own
to suit... you'll have something that will last a lifetime, will be
functional, and it'll cost a lot less too. I use a detached one car
garage for a gardening shed, it's perfect for storage, but for actual
potting I set up a couple of sawhorses outdoors under a large shady
tree... those collapsible plastic sawhorses with a few pieces of
lumber make a perfect work bench, and when done easy to hose off, let
dry, and store in my shed. I honestly don't see the point to an
indoor potting bench... and why have a permanent work bench taking up
all that valuable square footage in a storage shed just for a few
hours use a year. And outdoors I don't care if I spill some potting
soil on the ground. A couple of collapsible plastic sawhorses and a
few pieces of cedar planking was one of the best/most versatile low
cost gardening investments I made... great for any kind of project
table, even makes a perfect picnic table.
Old 31-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Registered User

I'd use a potting shed for potting.
Old 31-08-2011, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Nad Nad is offline

wrote:

[...]

The tailgate of my pickup truck is my workbench for repotting plants and
other uses.

--
Nad

Old 31-08-2011, 07:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

That's because the truck bed is filled with beer coolers. hehe
Old 31-08-2011, 10:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

feepington wrote:
I'd use a potting shed for potting.

Then from the point of view of doing that it doesn't matter much where it
is. From other points of view, eg the look of your garden or being out of
cold winds, there may be preferred places. There are many possibilities,
without knowing your situation I cannot be more specific.

David

Old 01-09-2011, 12:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

I'd use a potting shed for potting.

... that's where my neighbour and yourself might differ.
He clears out his potting shed once-a-year ..
puts up a little stage ; tables & chairs ; some lights ;
and throws a great little fundraising concert !
A local warm-up act ; a real good folkie act -
bobs-yer-uncle ... great times ensue !
... there's potting sheds ...
and then there's POTTING SHEDS !
John T.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 31, 2:48*am, feepington
wrote:
Hi There, I'm Looking At Investing In A Potting Shed, However, The Only
Site I Have Available Is A Norteast Facing Wall, With Some Confiers 10
Feet Away (to The Ne). *There Is No Obstruction To The East So The East
Side Would Get The Morning Sun. Can Anyone Tell Me If This Will Be
Enough To Make Good Use Of A Potting Shed Or Am I Wasting My Money??!!

--
feepington

Where do you live, and what will you "POT"??? If you are planning on
growing some POT in there, you might want it on the property line so
you can claim it belogs to a neighbor in case john law comes around.

[IMG] code is On

New Scouser seeks advice on 'Potting shed' Sadie United Kingdom 29 14-11-2004 10:34 AM
Old stoves - for the potting shed. Chris Stewart United Kingdom 7 14-03-2004 12:24 PM
Old stoves - for the potting shed. Chris Stewart United Kingdom 0 14-03-2004 09:13 AM
Old stoves - for the potting shed. Chris Stewart United Kingdom 0 14-03-2004 08:58 AM
Old stoves - for the potting shed. Chris Stewart United Kingdom 0 14-03-2004 04:57 AM