Old 13-01-2012, 05:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Help! Can anyone identify this mystery plant growing in my indoor garden?

writes:

snips

I'm not an expert on macro photography and I've avoided getting
very technical on the subject but I still think if you are using
a consumer digital camera and the camera has no macro feature or
accessories, you're not going to get a good closeup.

I suspect that you'd be hard-pressed to find
a digital camera, in the last five years or so,
that doesn't have a close-focus option ...
.. down to four inches or so.
.. even the $ 75. point-&-shoot digi-cams.

Just checked.
I have 3 digital cameras.
Only the newest one has a macro focus option.

That's surprising to me.
Perhaps the other two don't need a special macro
focus function - if they naturally focus to a foot or so (?)
www.imaging-resource.com/MFR1.HTM
This web site has archived many many digi-cam reviews
and specifications - for reference. I just randomly picked
a few cheap point-and-shoots - they all had macro ability.

Neither is cheap.
One was bought early on in the digital conversion,
an Olympus D-450. The other is a couple of years older
and bought for it's compactness.

Anyone have a good idea what to do with obsolete digital cameras?
Besides just toss them? Maybe put them in a time capsule.

--
Dan Espen
Old 13-01-2012, 06:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default OT cameras

snips

Anyone have a good idea what to do with obsolete digital cameras?
Besides just toss them? Maybe put them in a time capsule.

Our area has drop-off depots for electronics re-cycling.
.... a couple years ago, when I tried to donate my trusty
35mm Canon slr system to the local Thrift Shop - they didn't
want it .. I had about $ 750. invested originally .. oh well.
John T.

Old 13-01-2012, 08:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

hubops wrote:

Anyone have a good idea what to do with obsolete digital cameras?

What's an obsolete digital camera... means it's dated but if it still
works it still has a use... give it to someone you know who needs a
camera or keep it as a spare. I'd give it to a kid in hopes of
getting them interested in photography. Or I'd keep it in my car in
case of an accident, etc. A digicam takes up very little space, so
long as it still works I'd keep it. I kept several old cameras, film
cameras too. Many of the early digicams have better lenses than a lot
of the modern cameras... cameras are being made chintzier every year,
many no longer have viewfinders, I don't consider those a camera worth
having. If your old digicam has a viewfinder definitely hold on to
it. Film cameras can go obsolete when film is no longer available but
I don't see how a digicam can go obsolete.
Old 13-01-2012, 09:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

Nad, Do you understand why you are wrong now? if not read:
http://www.digital-photography-schoo...l-camera-users

I also recommend you root around Ken's site a bit after you read this
article: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/7.htm

he does talk Canon some. another good site is http://www.luminous-landscape.com

good luck
Old 14-01-2012, 12:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

Gunner writes:

Nad, Do you understand why you are wrong now? if not read:
http://www.digital-photography-schoo...l-camera-users

I also recommend you root around Ken's site a bit after you read this
article: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/7.htm

he does talk Canon some. another good site is http://www.luminous-landscape.com

good luck

==Dan==

Yes, I've got it. Almost any modern camera would do the job.
Sorry to seem dense but as you guessed, I know more about film
than _modern_ digital.

I haven't done as much with my new Canon as I should have.
I took a few closeups of large objects and with all the
megapixels I get really sharp images of small objects.

I've got more to learn. I tried getting a good image of an
orchid bud just as it's starting to form.
This is the first time I've tried orchids.
I found the bud is too tiny for autofocus to pick out so
I've got to read up some more and find how the manual focus
works.

I'll spend some time at those sites, more to learn.
Great.

And thanks.

--
Dan Espen

Old 14-01-2012, 02:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

Gunner writes:

Nad, Do you understand why you are wrong now? if not read:
http://www.digital-photography-schoo...l-camera-users

Previously read this site. Good info.

I also recommend you root around Ken's site a bit after you read this
article: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/7.htm

Definitely an amateur.

Interesting site.

he does talk Canon some. another good site is http://www.luminous-landscape.com

Couldn't find much content but lots of ads.

I need to spend more time with my camera...

--
Dan Espen
Old 18-01-2012, 09:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://www.digital-photography-schoo...aphy-tips-for-...

Previously read this site. *Good info.

I also recommend you root around Ken's site a bit *after you read this
article:http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/7.htm

Definitely an amateur.

Interesting site.

he does talk Canon some. *another good site ishttp://www.luminous-landscape.com

Couldn't find much content but lots of ads.

I need to spend more time with my camera...

--
Dan Espen

Try to learn about your camera's menus and how best to set up your
various menu and their tools , Where and What the Auto Focus (AF)
buttons do and how easy it is to change them,( Canon has one on the
back) and lastly learn to use your DOF preview button and the lens'
ring scale. youtube videos can help.

Old 22-01-2012, 09:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 5, 6:58*pm, HipsterKitteh HipsterKitteh.
wrote:
I have a small collection of plants which i grow indoors as I live in
the UK and most of the plants are tropical/require warm climates. One of
the plants I grow is a small catnip ("catmint") plant. Everyday I water
and check on my plants for signs of pests and disease etc. This morning
I noticed a tall hairy dull green stem growing in the catnip plant's
pot. Either I had simply not noticed it before, or it has magically
grown up to about 10cm overnight. Either way I would like to know if
anyone can recognise this mystery guest of mine, and if they could let
me know if it should be eradicated or if it is safe enough to have
around [Pictures below]

[image:http://i.imgur.com/nbzzc.png]

On the left is a (sort of) close up of the plant in question. On the
right is the plant in relation to the catnip in the pot.

Sorry for the bad quality, my camera refuses to focus on the right area
:/

--
HipsterKitteh

I have no idea what kind of plant that is. Maybe you could take it to
a plant shop, someone who works there might be able to help. Good
Luck!