Old 05-01-2012, 11:58 PM
Registered User

Default Help! Can anyone identify this mystery plant growing in my indoor garden?

I have a small collection of plants which i grow indoors as I live in the UK and most of the plants are tropical/require warm climates. One of the plants I grow is a small catnip ("catmint") plant. Everyday I water and check on my plants for signs of pests and disease etc. This morning I noticed a tall hairy dull green stem growing in the catnip plant's pot. Either I had simply not noticed it before, or it has magically grown up to about 10cm overnight. Either way I would like to know if anyone can recognise this mystery guest of mine, and if they could let me know if it should be eradicated or if it is safe enough to have around [Pictures below]

On the left is a (sort of) close up of the plant in question. On the right is the plant in relation to the catnip in the pot.

Sorry for the bad quality, my camera refuses to focus on the right area :/
Old 06-01-2012, 01:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

HipsterKitteh said:

I have a small collection of plants which i grow indoors as I live in
the UK and most of the plants are tropical/require warm climates. One

of
the plants I grow is a small catnip ("catmint") plant. Everyday I water
and check on my plants for signs of pests and disease etc. This morning
I noticed a tall hairy dull green stem growing in the catnip plant's
pot. Either I had simply not noticed it before, or it has magically
grown up to about 10cm overnight. Either way I would like to know if
anyone can recognise this mystery guest of mine, and if they could let
me know if it should be eradicated or if it is safe enough to have
around [Pictures below]

[image: http://i.imgur.com/nbzzc.png]

It's a very leggy seedling. It may even have suffered a bit of damage to
the seed leaves (hard to tell from the picture). There is only enough
imformation to eliminate a whole lot of possibilities, and nowhere near
enough information at this point to proberly ID the unknown.

If you are willing to let it grow for a while, it might be possible to
identify it, but this is also the best point to snip it out and be done
with it.

Sorry for the bad quality, my camera refuses to focus on the right area
:/

You need a camera with macro settings to really get up close to little
things.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 06-01-2012, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 08:01:21 -0500, Pat Kiewicz
wrote:

HipsterKitteh said:

[...]

You remind me of the golfer who blames his balls. The camera is not
lacking, it's all about unsteady hands and inability to properly frame
the subject in the viewfinder... many/most people haven't the ability
to hold a camera steady while pressing the shutter... you'd be
surprised at how many people close their eyes and convulse at the
moment they press the shutter/trigger... a tripod would help, and
cameras without an optical viewfinder are pretty much useless when
detail accuracy counts. When the subject is told to smile it's
actually more important for the photographer to smile, eases their
tension, helps them to unclench their jaw. Btw, next you're on the
golf course note how most golfers close their eyes at the moment of
impact. Most people close their eyes at the moment of impact when
hammering a nail. Most people close their eyes when pulling a gun
trigger... one of the main reasons for wearing shooting glasses.
Boxers train for a long time to keep their eyes open at the moment
their fists make contact. Flinching and closing ones eyes at moments
of contact is a natural reflex... one of the reasons why eye witnesses
are not very good determinants, they mostly imagine what they say they
saw in those blank frames when they play their mental cine film. This
phenomena is what makes mounted security cameras and cameras at
sporting events so important.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kiewicz[_2_] View Post

[...]

Thank you I don't see how it could have received damage in any way, I haven't touched it :/ Anyway, I'll do as suggested and let it grow. This will be interesting :P
Old 06-01-2012, 04:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

HipsterKitteh said:

[...]

Hey Brooklyn, ever hear of focal length?

Most cameras will not focus on close objects.
Doesn't matter how steady you hold the camera.
My digital Canon EOS has a macro setting that helps.

Back in the film era I had extension tubes that let me
get in really close.

--
Dan Espen

Old 06-01-2012, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Dan Espen
wrote:
My digital Canon EOS has a macro setting that helps.

Back in the film era I had extension tubes that let me
get in really close.

I've got a bellows for such activity. Have not used it for 30 years
and I doubt I will ever. Still have 35 MM. and 2 and 1/4 cameras
languishing about.
Sort of reminds me of betamax and VHS and digital growth.

Ansel Adams, Edward Weston with the idea of straight photography still
has a warm spot here.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://marshallmcluhanspeaks.com/

Old 06-01-2012, 07:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sorry for the bad quality, my camera refuses to focus on the right area

-
HipsterKitteh

That is a problem with many "point and shoots". I'm not saying Pat
and Shelton are not correct in their context of what they are saying
but I have a much different view of the issues and some solutions, If
you want help with any future pics, ask and let me know what camera
you have so I can get you specific advice, otherwise, some quick reads
that may help are located he http://www.photonhead.com/photographytips/
and he http://www.photonhead.com/beginners/

FYI, Your camera focused on the pot's rims and dirt behind the
subject, (the stem is too small a reference point to grab on for most
auto focus), and your about 1/2-2/3s of a stop off. Kicking up your
ISO and stepping back, zoom in if you can, shoot and then crop post-
production will help some. Also, do use something of known reference
in your pic when asking for help. The plant tag laying down only
served to screw up your dynamic range, blowing out your highlights.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

HipsterKitteh said:

[...]

But camera shake isn't the problem here. Notice that in the first image the
seedling in question is out of focus but the pot behind it is not. It is
either the inability of the lens to focus close enough or he is using
autofocus and it is not picking the right subject, or both.

So once again you are getting your balls swinging left and right over
nothing, stop using the niblick and try the mashie, or just take your hand
off it altogether.

David

Old 06-01-2012, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

HipsterKitteh said:

[...]

I'm really not interested in hearing about how you're trying to
exaggerate the length of your peewee pecker. That image has nothing
to do with focal length, it's ALL about shaky hands and inability to
frame... hasn't a whit to do with the camera... could easily get a
better image with a cell phone camera if the user lays off the booze.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

snips

You remind me of the golfer who blames his balls. The camera is not
lacking, it's all about unsteady hands and inability to properly frame
the subject in the viewfinder... many/most people haven't the ability
to hold a camera steady while pressing the shutter...

But camera shake isn't the problem here. Notice that in the first image the
seedling in question is out of focus but the pot behind it is not. It is
either the inability of the lens to focus close enough or he is using
autofocus and it is not picking the right subject, or both.

" So once again you are getting your balls swinging left and right
over nothing, .. stop using the niblick and try the mashie,
or just take your hand off it altogether. "
David

Ha !
Do we have a credit for that quote, David ?
I love it ! Well done !
John T.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:45 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare-Scott[_2_] View Post
wrote:

[...]

Kay... my camera automatically focuses at the thing it is looking at and as the plant in question is a small part of the photo it is not in focus. Getting a little off topic here..
Old 07-01-2012, 03:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

HipsterKitteh writes:

[...]

I downloaded the image and blew it up. It looks like the image focuses
at almost the right depth for the smaller plant, just slightly off.

But for anyone to identify the plant at that size we'd need an image
where the 2 leaves on the small plant fill at least 320x200, or better
640x480. You actually have about 30x25.
Of course a camera without macro focus isn't going to get
close to that kind of image. You'd need to be 2-3 inches from the
plant in question with a normal lens.

Wait a while and see what happens.

--
Dan Espen
Old 07-01-2012, 01:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

HipsterKitteh said:

'Pat Kiewicz[_2_ Wrote:

It's a very leggy seedling. It may even have suffered a bit of damage
the seed leaves (hard to tell from the picture). There is only enough
imformation to eliminate a whole lot of possibilities, and nowhere near

enough information at this point to proberly ID the unknown.

Thank you I don't see how it could have received damage in any way, I
haven't touched it

In low-humidity situations the cotlyedons can sometmes have a tough time
pulling free of the seed coat. Happens every year to a few of my tomato
seedlings, typically the ones that are late emerging, after I've already
uncovered the tray.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 23:45:49 +0000, HipsterKitteh
wrote:

wrote:
-
HipsterKitteh said:-

[...]

That camera is focused, unfortunately it's focused on the light
reflecting off the shiney rim of the adjacent pot, like shooting into
the sun. To achieve a good image of the subject move that pot to a
place where it stands alone, away from nearby objects... or frame the
shot so that it doesn't include other/brighter objects that will
confuse the auto focus... even the sunlight reflecting off that fence
captures the auto focus. The light reflecting off that white tag is
also confusing the camera. Digital cameras operate very different
from film cameras, they literally have a mind of their own.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:17 AM
Registered User

Update: The plant has now almost doubled is height, at 18cm tall. I fiddled with my camera's setting and managed to get a better picture of the leaves, it helps that the leaves have also grow a little bit.