Old 28-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Registered User

Unhappy Potting plants.

Hello all.

Am very new to this gardening lark and am seeking advice on potting plants.
I have recently acquired two lovely Bay trees that are doing very well much to my surprise.
I have decided to take it up a notch and am a little bemused.
I have 3 lovely copper hanging pots approx 9inches wide x 9.5 deep and can't decide what would be best to put in them?? I would like something that lives all year round (not necessarily flowering) but they will have to cope with extreme weather I.e FULL sun in spring/summer and gale force winds any other time!!
Also can the plants be planted directly into the copper or should the be kept in plastic??
Help please!!
Old 29-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2this View Post
Hello all.

Am very new to this gardening lark and am seeking advice on potting plants.
I have recently acquired two lovely Bay trees that are doing very well much to my surprise.
I have decided to take it up a notch and am a little bemused.
I have 3 lovely copper hanging pots approx 9inches wide x 9.5 deep and can't decide what would be best to put in them?? I would like something that lives all year round (not necessarily flowering) but they will have to cope with extreme weather I.e FULL sun in spring/summer and gale force winds any other time!!
Also can the plants be planted directly into the copper or should the be kept in plastic??
Help please!!
Portulaca grandiflora, also known as moss roses, Mexican roses or the sun plant, are herbaceous plants with thin succulent leaves that grow approx 6-7 inches in height. Because they are so easy to grow moss roses are ideal for hanging baskets and hanging planters particularly if you have a hot, sunny and dry situation. If you know the family and growing condition of the plant and plant care tips, then you can successfully plant any kind of flowering plants into the copper pot.
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 29-03-2012, 07:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Potting plants.

On 3/28/12 3:59 PM, New2this wrote:
Hello all.

Am very new to this gardening lark and am seeking advice on potting
plants.
I have recently acquired two lovely Bay trees that are doing very well
much to my surprise.
I have decided to take it up a notch and am a little bemused.
I have 3 lovely copper hanging pots approx 9inches wide x 9.5 deep and
can't decide what would be best to put in them?? I would like something
that lives all year round (not necessarily flowering) but they will have
to cope with extreme weather I.e FULL sun in spring/summer and gale
force winds any other time!!
Also can the plants be planted directly into the copper or should the be
kept in plastic??
Help please!!

The copper will very slowly disolve into the potting soil. Copper is
toxic to most (all?) plants when taken up by roots. It is used as a
fungicide (especially as copper sulfate) on fruit trees and other plants
because it is deadly to fungus and does not harm most plants when
applied to the foliage. However, it can kill desired plants if it is
present in the soil. In the garden, it will leach below the level where
roots can find it, thus avoiding damage to plants; but in a pot, it will
gradually become more and more concentrated.

Use some kind of flower pot inserted into the copper pots, either
plastic, terra cotta, or clay. To prevent standing water from carrying
copper back into the inserted flower pot, be sure the copper pot has a
small hole in the bottom to prevent standing water.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see