Old 13-04-2012, 05:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Canna Question

Last fall Hubby dug up, with lots of soil around it, our President canna. It stayed under the house til
2 weeks ago. We brought it in to give it a good headstart on growing. It goes outside during the day and
back in overnight. Instead of 1 or 2 spikes coming up, there are 12 or 13, now with leaves about 6 - 8 inches high.

My question is, are they all their own separate bulbs that I can separate? I was thinking of washing all the
soil off and seeing what is there. Or does someone know if they are all shoots off the same bulb? I would
love to have all these to decorate the yard with, but not at the expense of killing them.
Thanks for the help.
Old 14-04-2012, 01:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

Nanzi wrote:
Last fall Hubby dug up, with lots of soil around it, our President canna. It stayed under the house til
2 weeks ago. We brought it in to give it a good headstart on growing. It goes outside during the day and
back in overnight. Instead of 1 or 2 spikes coming up, there are 12 or 13, now with leaves about 6 - 8 inches high.

My question is, are they all their own separate bulbs that I can separate? I was thinking of washing all the
soil off and seeing what is there. Or does someone know if they are all shoots off the same bulb? I would
love to have all these to decorate the yard with, but not at the expense of killing them.
Thanks for the help.

If you google "separate canna" they have lots of answers.
Old 14-04-2012, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Holy Crap am I gonna have a bunch of Cannas this year!!
Planning on doing this today, thanks for the suggestion,
I don't know why I didn't go there first. Duh!
Old 15-04-2012, 05:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

We came out with 9 cannas after I separated them. Planted them in a big plastic bin to keep growing, and
coming inside if necessary due to cold nights. I can't wait to see them all growing and blooming. Hope
to do the same thing next year and give a lot of them away!!

[IMG] code is On

Canna Facts and Canna Care BobWalsh Gardening 5 29-05-2011 08:27 PM
Canna question 80/20 United Kingdom 7 07-11-2005 12:21 PM
Canna question Nanceemo Ponds 1 24-10-2003 01:12 AM
Canna and Bronze/Burgundy Foliage Question Bob H Gardening 1 26-05-2003 02:20 PM
Canna Tropicanna question(s) tom Gardening 1 08-02-2003 02:06 AM