Old 16-05-2012, 02:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Zone 5 over winter bulbs

I want some summer blooming bulbs -- non invasive that doesn't have to be dug up for winter.

Used to have some orange lillies that I liked but can't remember the name (they weren't daylillies)

Don't want tulips, etc -- no spring blooming but something or a variety of summer blooming bulbs for zone 5 Indiana. Any suggestions?

Maybe 2 or 3 varieties that would go well together in a single partly sunny area?

Old 16-05-2012, 03:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

from what I gather -- not winter hardy? and -- don't really care for them, they're a bit "too much" but thanks

Old 17-05-2012, 04:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
33086059.1489.1337176775661.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@ynlq12,
mkr5000 wrote:

I want some summer blooming bulbs -- non invasive that doesn't have to be dug
up for winter.

Used to have some orange lillies that I liked but can't remember the name
(they weren't daylillies)

Don't want tulips, etc -- no spring blooming but something or a variety of
summer blooming bulbs for zone 5 Indiana. Any suggestions?

Maybe 2 or 3 varieties that would go well together in a single partly sunny
area?

Look into the Asiatic lilies. They come in a variety of heights and
colors. They don't bloom all summer, but they make a nice show for a
few weeks.

Priscilla
Old 17-05-2012, 05:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

I want some summer blooming bulbs -- non invasive that doesn't have to be dug
up for winter.

Used to have some orange lillies that I liked but can't remember the name
(they weren't daylillies)

Don't want tulips, etc -- no spring blooming but something or a variety of
summer blooming bulbs for zone 5 Indiana. Any suggestions?

Maybe 2 or 3 varieties that would go well together in a single partly sunny
area?

Look into the Asiatic lilies. They come in a variety of heights and
colors. They don't bloom all summer, but they make a nice show for a
few weeks.

Priscilla

Assuming that the area the OP is in does not have a resident population
of lily beetle...

If the area does have this nasty pest, I doubt they'll last a few days,
let alone weeks!

--

Jeff

Old 17-05-2012, 08:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 17/05/2012 16:57, Priscilla H. Ballou wrote:
Look into the Asiatic lilies. They come in a variety of heights and
colors. They don't bloom all summer, but they make a nice show for a
few weeks.

Assuming that the area the OP is in does not have a resident population
of lily beetle...

If the area does have this nasty pest, I doubt they'll last a few days,
let alone weeks!

Since I am unfamiliar with the lily beetle, I included no information on
them.

Priscilla
Old 17-05-2012, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 17/05/2012 20:48, Priscilla H. Ballou wrote:
In ,
Jeff wrote:
On 17/05/2012 16:57, Priscilla H. Ballou wrote:
Look into the Asiatic lilies. They come in a variety of heights and
colors. They don't bloom all summer, but they make a nice show for a
few weeks.

Assuming that the area the OP is in does not have a resident population
of lily beetle...

If the area does have this nasty pest, I doubt they'll last a few days,
let alone weeks!

Since I am unfamiliar with the lily beetle, I included no information on
them.

I think you are fortunate enough to not have them in the USA. This will
give you an idea of what we have to put up with here in the UK:.
http://www.gardenforumhorticulture.c...ily-beetle.htm

--

Jeff
Old 18-05-2012, 05:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

I think you are fortunate enough to not have them in the USA. This will
give you an idea of what we have to put up with here in the UK:.
http://www.gardenforumhorticulture.c...ily-beetle.htm

Oh, dear! I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this, Jeff.
Something has a nibble at one or another of my lilies from time to time,
but nothing like what it looks like this bug does.

Good luck.

Priscilla