Old 24-07-2012, 04:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default under/over water question

Hi All,

In my little garden I have Zukes (4) and Lemon Cucumbers (3).
Last night we had three thunder showers roll through. From
the noise I feared hail. Looking through the windows, my
plants were nearly underwater. I feared for them. (Bad
enough I eat their children.)

When I was able to assess the damage in the morning, I
was shocked that not only was there no damage, but the
stinkers had actually grown about 20% over yesterday!

Am I under watering? Or is this just a good one time
thing and adding more water risks root rot?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 24-07-2012, 05:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
Hi All,

In my little garden I have Zukes (4) and Lemon Cucumbers (3).
Last night we had three thunder showers roll through. From
the noise I feared hail. Looking through the windows, my
plants were nearly underwater. I feared for them. (Bad
enough I eat their children.)

When I was able to assess the damage in the morning, I
was shocked that not only was there no damage, but the
stinkers had actually grown about 20% over yesterday!

Am I under watering? Or is this just a good one time
thing and adding more water risks root rot?

Many thanks,
-T

Cucurbits will shown signs of underwatering quickly as they will wilt,
luckily they also recover quickly. If yours are not wilting in the
afternoon they are not under watered. Be careful with watering that you
don't wet the leaves or splash mud up on to them as they are very
susceptible to mildew on the leaves, especially when the humidity is high.
If you do water more make it few deep waterings not many shallow ones. In
principle thunder storms add nitrogen to the soil as the lightning fixes
atmospheric nitrogen into soluble compounds but I doubt that you would see
results overnight from one storm!

Old 24-07-2012, 06:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
[...]

Okay, a few good soakings spread apart, rather than server light
waterings. I can adjust my timer.

Our humidity ranges between 10 and 20% (high desert). They wilt
slightly during the worst heat of the day. Their branches
have taken to sticking straight up. Leaves too at 45deg
angles. I presumed they caught a freight when they discovered
what I was up to.

Maybe all that water soaked my compose better into the soil.
That would add a lot of nitrogen. I may not have watered
my compose in enough when I laid it down. Coupled with
the nitrogen from the three storms, it might explain
things.

You should see all the flowers on them too! I have
noticed that my Zukes tend to have growth spurts.
(They get any bigger and they will probably try to
kick my ass next time I get my knife too close to their
offspring.)

I am guessing at the 20%. I did not make a measurement.

Thank you for the advice!

-T

Old 24-07-2012, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 23, 10:12*pm, Todd wrote:

Todd wrote:
[...]

Most plants that have to drink treated water all year are ecstatic
when they can get a good fix of clean sky water.
At least that's what I have always observed with my plants. This is
So Calif coastal -- basically a desert, with a rainy season (maybe)
between Nov and March, and nothing thereafter.

Sounds like your happy rain water soaked right in, which it would do
unless one's soil is semi-impervious.
Be grateful to the Rain Gods g
Old 26-07-2012, 04:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 07/24/2012 03:43 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Jul 23, 10:12 pm, Todd wrote:

Todd wrote:
[...]

Hi Higgs,

I was at one of the local Greenhouses a couple of days ago
and the "horticulturist" said the same thing you said:
"Water from the sky is so much better than what comes out
of our taps". So I do believe you called it. Thank you!

-T

Old 26-07-2012, 06:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 23, 10:12 pm, Todd wrote:

Todd wrote:
[...]

That's baloney... if your tap water is potable enough to drink it's
potable enough for plants. There is nothing added to municiple water
in amounts enough to affect plants, the dirt in your yard contains far
more harmful elements and still plants will thrive. And untreated
rain water is not all that pure, whatever pollutants are in the air is
in rain water.
Old 27-07-2012, 09:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 23, 10:12 pm, Todd wrote:

Todd wrote:
[...]

That being said, the phenomenon has been observes by myself and others.
Would be interesting to an actual scientific study on it.
Wonder if the tap water treatments have anything to do with it.

Old 28-07-2012, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Todd" wrote in message
[...]

Todd - David H-S gave the answer in the first response to your original
post - it's got nothing to do with potability of water - it's to do with
Nitrogen.

Do a search on "Atmospheric nitrogen" or the "nitrogen cycle" or
"Lightening nitrogen rain" and that will explain to you why rainwater is so
good for plants. Rainwater contains nitrogen in the form needed by plants
(that form of N is formed by lightening).

Old 28-07-2012, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 07/27/2012 04:56 PM, Farm1 wrote:
"Todd" wrote in message
[...]

I figured. I was just being nice.