Old 10-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Wayne Dyer

Default Poison Oak?

I've got what appears to be poison oak coming up from behind my property,
over and through my privacy fence. I can't easily get there to get rid of
it, and actually right behind my property is a utility easement where
power lines run.

Any ideas? This thing is about 7' tall, and I've no experience in dealing
with it.

-W-

Old 10-05-2003, 04:20 AM
animaux

http://www.knoledge.org/oak/identify.html

http://poisonivy.aesir.com/

Old 10-05-2003, 07:44 AM
G a e X a v i er

My research a year back for a consumer health company indicated that poison oak
does not grow anywhere near Austin. I used to have a map of where it is found in
the US but I've misplaced it.

If you are local, it is poison ivy and the only thing I have found to be effective
is Brush-B-Gone and it is dangerous stuff so you have to read the label and be
very careful where you spray it.

Old 10-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Wayne Dyer

wrote:

My research a year back for a consumer health company indicated that
poison oak does not grow anywhere near Austin. I used to have a map of
where it is found in the US but I've misplaced it.

If you are local, it is poison ivy and the only thing I have found to be
effective is Brush-B-Gone and it is dangerous stuff so you have to read
the label and be very careful where you spray it.

Well, I can get to the top of the plant and to some of the things poking
through the fence. I might be able to hike around to the other side, but
I'd technically be trespassing to get there. I doubt anyone would care
much.

One of the reasons I posted was that the additional strangeness is that it
*looks* like poison oak, but I too was under the impression that poison
oak didn't grow around here. It just doesn't look like poison ivy, but
it's got berries.

I'm going to see if I can get to the other side and have a better look
today.

-W-

Old 10-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Larry

Rub some of it on your arm or leg and in a while you will not care if it is
Oak or Ivy - the stuff is lethal to me. Each time I get in contact with it
I wear a reminder for at least 3 weeks. On John Dromgule's site is a recipe
using vinegar and orange oil that kills it.
http://www.naturalgardeneraustin.com

news

Old 11-05-2003, 03:32 PM
N. Woolley

Poison ivy (& oak) does have berries. ALL parts of the plant have the
awful irritating oils, even stems roots and berries. Poison ivy is
pretty in the fall, if it just weren't so dern nasty.

I've asked a botanist at the Wildflower Center about the poison ivy or
poison oak question and neither of us could figure out which was which
or if both grow here or if it even matters. Poison ivy was Rhus
toxicodendron and then was changed to Toxicodendron radicans and as far
as I know, poison oak botanically is included under that name. It all
makes me itch!

-Nancy

Old 11-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Rusty Mase

On Sat, 10 May 2003 15:54:53 GMT, "Larry" wrote:

Rub some of it on your arm or leg and in a while you will not care if it is
Oak or Ivy - the stuff is lethal to me.

Also, do not burn it and hang around with the smoke. I had a friend
who is sensitive to poison ivy do that and it was almost fatal.

Can you imagine poison ivy of the lungs?

Rusty Mase

Old 12-05-2003, 08:57 AM
G a e X a v i er

When I did my research, this area (central Texas) was not included in the
poison oak range. The odd thing is that poison ivy has various leaf forms
and sometimes the leaves look more like what an "oak" leaf looks like so
people think that is what they are seeing.

Here are two poison ivy plants in my back yard. They almost look like two
different plants, but they are not. They are both poison ivy from what I
read an understood. The leaf shapes are variable on poison ivy, so...

It is all over my 1/2 acre, but I am not allergic, or at least I have not
developed and allergy to it YET. You can be not allergic and have no
reaction and then with frequent contact with it or anything else become
highly allergic.

http://home.austin.rr.com/libralove/...PoisonIvy.html

Best to All -- Gae

Old 12-05-2003, 09:56 PM
God Bless Texas

That's it, alright.

The giveaways (since the leaf shape can vary) for me are the reddish
stem/root, very green leaves, and three-leaf sprigs.

And yes, the first few times you may not react but WATCH OUT - this is a
very unpleasant few weeks. It spreads from the point of original contact to
all kinds of unusual and imaginative places, too.

Old 13-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Lisa

Just a quick comment, just in case you DO get poison ivy. I've had poison
ivy 5 times so far this year, each time worse than the last. These last
couple of times I've used a cream called Zanfel -- available at Eckerd's and
Walgreens. Clears it up within a couple of applications. Very expensive
($30 per once), but well, well worth it.

Old 29-05-2003, 06:20 PM
John T. Jarrett

I missed the rest of this thread, but...

When I did field work, we kept cheap bottles of rubbing alcohol at the truck
to wash off all exposed areas of our bodies (arms, sometimes legs, and
(carefully!) faces) to get rid of the poison ivy oil before it got into the
skin. A shower with soap right after coming indoors is best, but, well, the
boss didn't really want you driving across town in the middle of the day to
take a shower you know? :)

I'm very allergic to it and only got it twice in two years using alcohol.
Normally I get it twice a month just from messing around in the yard!

hth,
John

gy.com...