Old 09-04-2013, 02:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default How to transplant roses

The old owners of my house planted four small rose bushes and we want to
move them.

The bushes are only single stem, mabe two two stem, and about 3 feet
high. How does somebody move these? How deep are the roots? what to
feed them? and how much sun do they need.

Zone 5a/5b Southern Ontario Canuckistan
Old 10-04-2013, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, April 8, 2013 6:04:24 PM UTC-7, Hench wrote:
The old owners of my house planted four small rose bushes and we want to

move them.

The bushes are only single stem, mabe two two stem, and about 3 feet

high. How does somebody move these? How deep are the roots? what to

Roses need FULL SUN. Since you a little further North than I, notice where the sun hits during the day, esp. in winter when it is low in the sky. Don't plant there if you can help it.

Roses should move OK provided you prepare the future area carefully.

What is the soil like in their future home? Is it clay, loam, what?
Is it on a slope or on level ground?
Does it collect standing water from rain?
Is there anything growing there now that you need to remove?
If so, do the outgoing plants have deep roots you need to dig out?

Feeding, ***DO NOT fertilize immediately upon moving.*** Let them settle in for several months. You can help them get a start by use a transplant medium, available in any nursery or homeowner store. READ THE LABEL. Do not overdose. Or see my home-made transplant mix below.

Do not move in the heat of the day. Very early morning, or evening.

Make a little dam around the drip line (outside extent of leaves) Water in slowly and gently.

When I transplant bushes/shrubs/roses, I make a mix of worm castings (great stuff!) home-made (or store) compost, and vermiculite or perlite. The latter two, as you may know, are volcanic stuff which lightens the soil; makes it less dense; permits oxygen to enter. READ THE LABELS.

Dig out roses to be moved deep and carefully so as not to cut roots too much. A little won't hurt. Watering (not too much) in advance might make it easier IF ground is dry. Take as much root ball with you as possible (unless the soil in new area is radically different).

Many good Web sites to take you through whole process. Always note/specify your area.

Bonne chance

HB

Old 11-04-2013, 06:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

Preferably in winter, but now should be OK. Dig hole, dig up rose with
as much soil as you can. Put rose in new hole, and fill in dirt. Fish
emulsion, and water. Enjoy.

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

Old 13-04-2013, 03:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, April 8, 2013 6:04:24 PM UTC-7, Hench wrote:
The old owners of my house planted four small rose bushes and we want to

move them.

The bushes are only single stem, mabe two two stem, and about 3 feet

high. How does somebody move these? How deep are the roots? what to

feed them? and how much sun do they need.

Zone 5a/5b Southern Ontario Canuckistan

Sorry, I made a terrible mistake in my reply.

I suggested that you not move the roses in the heat of the day; rather early morning or evening. WRONG! I was confusing WATERING, which should be done early morning or evening. Do not water in the heat of the day; the sun can burn through the water drops to the plant leaves.

What I meant is that TRANSPLANTING should ALWAYS be done in the late afternoon or early evening, so the poor plant has a chance to rest overnight before the sun hits.

Old 13-04-2013, 06:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Higgs Boson wrote:

On Monday, April 8, 2013 6:04:24 PM UTC-7, Hench wrote:
The old owners of my house planted four small rose bushes and we want to

move them.

The bushes are only single stem, mabe two two stem, and about 3 feet

high. How does somebody move these? How deep are the roots? what to

feed them? and how much sun do they need.

Zone 5a/5b Southern Ontario Canuckistan

Sorry, I made a terrible mistake in my reply.

I suggested that you not move the roses in the heat of the day; rather early
morning or evening. WRONG! I was confusing WATERING, which should be done
early morning or evening. Do not water in the heat of the day; the sun can
burn through the water drops to the plant leaves.

More misinformation from our IDF representative. Plants will be less
stressed if moved in the cool of the day, but water drops won't act like
little magnifying glasses and burn holes in your leaves, or the plant's.

Old 13-04-2013, 07:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:

Do not water in the
heat of the day; the sun can burn through the water drops to the
plant leaves.

Get out, that isn't right.

The reason you don't water in the middle of the day is the Faeries need to
have a shower sometimes and they won't drop their gear in full sun. If they
do there is a risk that they get sunburned on their tiny ...s due to the
hole in the ozone layer. If their ...s get sunburned they will glow in the
dark and then you have to rub them with Extra Virgin olive oil . So be nice
to the Little People and water in the evening, or keep the EVOO nearby and
your hands warm.

Old 14-04-2013, 03:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Friday, April 12, 2013 11:15:09 PM UTC-7, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

Do not water in the

heat of the day; the sun can burn through the water drops to the

plant leaves.

Get out, that isn't right.

The reason you don't water in the middle of the day is the Faeries need to

have a shower sometimes and they won't drop their gear in full sun. If they

do there is a risk that they get sunburned on their tiny ...s due to the

hole in the ozone layer. If their ...s get sunburned they will glow in the

dark and then you have to rub them with Extra Virgin olive oil . So be nice

to the Little People and water in the evening, or keep the EVOO nearby and

your hands warm.

Oh, thank you David! That makes it perfectly clear, and ever so much more poetically VBG

HB

[IMG] code is On

Beach Roses. Can I transplant them? lhp Roses 2 16-06-2003 06:05 PM
Daffodil transplant res08ouu North Carolina 1 25-04-2003 05:38 PM
Emergency transplant of bulbs Robert Gray Gardening 8 09-03-2003 02:44 PM
can i transplant? tony United Kingdom 4 10-12-2002 08:07 PM
Transplant a flowering plant sevendwarfs United Kingdom 2 24-11-2002 09:10 PM