Old 03-05-2013, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Turnip question

Hi Guys,

I was looking over at Burpee for Turnip seeds and
found these

http://www.burpee.com/organic-garden...rod002266.html

Some questions:

1) under the growing info tab, it states "Sow thinly in rows
11/2-2’ apart". Is this a typo? Should this be 1-1/2" to
2" apart?

2) In the main page is states "1 Pkt. (600 Seeds)". 600 seeds!
Does this mean microseeds like carrot seeds? Yikes! What
a pain in the neck to plant!

Many thanks,
-T
Old 03-05-2013, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Friday, May 3, 2013 1:27:22 PM UTC-7, Todd wrote:
Hi Guys,

I was looking over at Burpee for Turnip seeds and

found these

http://www.burpee.com/organic-garden...rod002266.html

Some questions:

1) under the growing info tab, it states "Sow thinly in rows

11/2-2� apart". Is this a typo? Should this be 1-1/2" to

2" apart?

2) In the main page is states "1 Pkt. (600 Seeds)". 600 seeds!

Does this mean microseeds like carrot seeds? Yikes! What

a pain in the neck to plant!

Many thanks,

-T

Some gardeners mix tiny seeds with another medium, like maybe sand, to make sowing easier.

carrot seeds, I don't see them as particularly tiny, compared to some other seeds.

If you don't want to sow 600 seeds, just pick up a smaller packet at your neighbohood nursery.

HB

Old 04-05-2013, 12:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
Hi Guys,

I was looking over at Burpee for Turnip seeds and
found these

http://www.burpee.com/organic-garden...rod002266.html

Some questions:

1) under the growing info tab, it states "Sow thinly in rows
11/2-2’ apart". Is this a typo? Should this be 1-1/2" to
2" apart?

It probably isn't a typo but I would make the rows closer if the soil was
good, say 8-12"

2) In the main page is states "1 Pkt. (600 Seeds)". 600 seeds!
Does this mean microseeds like carrot seeds? Yikes! What
a pain in the neck to plant!

They will be fairly small seeds but that isn't such a problem. You don't
place them one-by-one. If you don't have the knack of sprinkling thinly out
of the packet then dilute with sand or fine sandy soil in a tin can, bend
the edge to make a spout. Tilt and tap gently, you ought to be able to
adjust the rate they come out quite accurately.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
Some questions:

1) under the growing info tab, it states "Sow thinly in rows
11/2-2’ apart". Is this a typo? Should this be 1-1/2" to
2" apart?

1.5 to 2 feet apart. yes, they can get
that big if you want to let them go for
greens or winter fodder for animals.

2) In the main page is states "1 Pkt. (600 Seeds)". 600 seeds!
Does this mean microseeds like carrot seeds? Yikes! What
a pain in the neck to plant!

use a square shovel to put down a flat bottomed trench
at the right depth, put the seeds down in a row in the
center. use a wide rake to gently move the seeds to
cover the bottom of the trench (two swipes, one in each
direction is often enough for me). cover with dirt at
right depth. water in. thin as recommended.

method where no thinning is needed, use a very small
dab of Elmers glue on toilet paper or the cheapest
hand towels you can find. space them as recommended
on the package. sprinkle seeds so they stick to the
glue. let dry. bury these pieces of paper at the
right depth. water in. no thinning should be needed.
the glue dissolves and the paper also degrades. takes
a little time to do, but very efficient use of seeds
and doesn't require time later for thinning.

songbird
Old 04-05-2013, 11:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 05/03/2013 11:59 PM, songbird wrote:
Todd wrote:
Some questions:

1) under the growing info tab, it states "Sow thinly in rows
11/2-2’ apart". Is this a typo? Should this be 1-1/2" to
2" apart?

1.5 to 2 feet apart. yes, they can get
that big if you want to let them go for
greens or winter fodder for animals.

Okay, its the rows they are talking about. Now
I understand.

How far apart should the seeds be from each other?

And, if you do have to thin, how far apart should the
resultant sprouts be from each other?

[...]

Question: if you do have to thin, can you eat what you
pull up?

-T

Old 05-05-2013, 01:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
Question: if you do have to thin, can you eat what you
pull up?

sure, i'm not a turnip green person,
but i suppose if you liked them there'd
be no problem.

i'd space them a little further apart
than the size i wanted to harvest.

songbird

Old 05-05-2013, 03:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 05/04/2013 05:44 PM, songbird wrote:
sure, i'm not a turnip green person,
but i suppose if you liked them there'd
be no problem.

Hi Songbird,

What do they taste like? I know radish tops are edible, but
they are horrible and taste worse the more you eat.

If it helps, I like Chards and can not stand Collards.

-T

Old 05-05-2013, 06:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
What do they taste like? I know radish tops are edible, but
they are horrible and taste worse the more you eat.

If it helps, I like Chards and can not stand Collards.

i could not describe the taste of turnip
greens at all. i only tried them once and
didn't much like them. as tastes differ i
wouldn't ever recommend someone not try a
garden plant.

i'd give 'em a try as if you are growing
turnips you won't have a shortage of greens.

i'd grow a lot of them if Ma could tolerate
me cooking them. they make a pretty good
cover crop or green manure. they might also
work as a distracting crop for pests (keeping
them away from the other cabbage family crops)
but i have yet to test this theory myself.

songbird