Old 05-09-2013, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Bush and Butterfly ID

I'd like an ID on a bush and perhaps the butterfly feeding on it.

The bush has green spherical flowers with white pistils that radiate off
in all directions, an 1 1/2 inch across or so. It grows either in swampy
or submerged ground and can be over 5' wide and just as tall. This
particular butterfly is very common.

I have 27 megs of 640x360 mp4 video (~1 min 45 sec) taken at Lake
Allatoona a few weeks ago (NW of Atlanta, GA) he

http://thelimit.biz/video/Butterfly_Feeding_640.mp4

I've accumulated quite a bit of insect video by chance and I'm starting
to edit it down. Where can I find insect IDs? Who might be interested in
such stuff?

Cheers,
Jeff

Old 06-09-2013, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 9/5/2013 6:57 PM, Derald wrote:
j wrote:

I'd like an ID on a bush and perhaps the butterfly feeding on it.

Check out "silver spotted skipper" (Epargyreus clarus) he

http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/gallery

click on a thumnail to start a slideshow. Click on a scientific name to
go to a profile and additional photos.

That's great!

Check out "buttonbush" (Cephalanthus occidentalis*) he

http://uswildflowers.com/wfquery.php?State=GA

That's it.

Click on thumbnail for enlarged view. Click on a scientific name to go
to a profile and additional photos.

IMO, both web sites are worth bookmarking for future reference.

Done!

Red Top Mountain, north of Smyrna, GA, is one of my favorite "civilized"
camping areas.

Girlfriend is not a camper, yet... I do have a lot of video of a
parasitic wasp (Ibelieve) burying a caterpillar on the shores of Red
Top. It's amazing the insect life that is all around. I'll see if I can
get that video done.

Hope this helps.

Sure did!

silver spotted skipper feeding on Azalea I believe (about a month ago,
why is it blooming???):
http://thelimit.biz/video/Butterfly-Feeding-2.mp4

More from Old #41, now closed for the season:

Unknown (so far) butterfly feeding on Button Bush:
http://thelimit.biz/video/Butterfly-Feeding-3.mp4

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 06-09-2013, 02:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 9/5/2013 8:32 PM, j wrote:
On 9/5/2013 6:57 PM, Derald wrote:
j wrote:

snip

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio glaucus)

Unknown (so far) butterfly feeding on Button Bush:
http://thelimit.biz/video/Butterfly-Feeding-3.mp4

Cheers,
Jeff

[IMG] code is On

Cantigny C Not-a-butterfly on the butterfly weed.JPG (1/1) Just Plane Noise Garden Photos 0 27-07-2009 06:35 PM
Pruning Blue Spirea (caryopteris) and Buddelia (Butterfly bush) Louis Ohland Gardening 2 13-10-2003 07:02 PM
Question about Butterfly Bush Dan Gardening 0 02-05-2003 04:32 AM
Butterfly Bush AnnaTle Gardening 5 26-04-2003 02:08 AM
Cut Back Healthy Butterfly Bush? Fleemo Gardening 4 05-04-2003 06:20 PM