Old 11-09-2013, 12:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Green hydrangeas

My blue hydrangeas have been turning green as the season goes on.

How do you fix that?

I finally have a good spot (shady) and good year for them (plentiful
rainfall) and now green flowers.

Jeff
Old 11-09-2013, 02:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

j wrote:
My blue hydrangeas have been turning green as the season goes on.

How do you fix that?

I finally have a good spot (shady) and good year for them (plentiful
rainfall) and now green flowers.

Jeff

I think a greenish hue is on basically white flowers but I don't grow them
and there are many species of hydrangea so I could be wrong. In general the
flowers of the more common variety are more blue in acid soil. Perhaps you
limed the soil this year? Try testing your soil pH. It easier to make soil
less acid (by adding lime) than to make it more acid. Maybe you could add
more lime and make them pink/purple.

David

Old 11-09-2013, 03:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

j wrote:
My blue hydrangeas have been turning green as the season goes on.

How do you fix that?

I finally have a good spot (shady) and good year for them (plentiful
rainfall) and now green flowers.

Jeff

I think a greenish hue is on basically white flowers but I don't grow
them and there are many species of hydrangea so I could be wrong. In
general the flowers of the more common variety are more blue in acid
soil. Perhaps you limed the soil this year? Try testing your soil pH.
It easier to make soil less acid (by adding lime) than to make it more
acid. Maybe you could add more lime and make them pink/purple.

David

My soil is acid and all I get is blue. Color is supposed to be pH
dependent.
Old 20-09-2013, 06:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ono Ono is offline

2013年9月11日水曜日 8時50分55秒 UTC+9 j:
My blue hydrangeas have been turning green as the season goes on.

How do you fix that?

I finally have a good spot (shady) and good year for them (plentiful

rainfall) and now green flowers.

Jeff

While i was searching some info about it on the net, i got two opposite opinions about hydrangea becoming greenish. One opinion says that it is a normal cycle of hydrangea's inherencies, while another opinion says that it's due to a bacteria called Phytoplasma. i have no idea which case you should apply to your plant.
If yours is in the latter case, they say there's no hope for plant's survival.

Ono

[IMG] code is On

hydrangeas Reba Gardening 3 30-05-2003 02:56 AM
Hydrangeas - purchase, info Kelly Garner North Carolina 4 13-05-2003 04:08 PM
Hydrangeas in Triangle BB North Carolina 2 06-05-2003 09:56 PM
Hydrangeas Ian Butler United Kingdom 20 22-02-2003 10:46 PM
Hydrangeas Jane Ransom United Kingdom 1 12-02-2003 08:36 PM