Old 16-10-2013, 04:43 PM
Registered User

Default mushroom identification

Hi i have these mushrooms growing in the centre of my lawn could someone please ID them for me and are they edible ,many thanks Rick,H
Attached Thumbnails
mushroom identification-100_1678.jpg
Old 16-10-2013, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

rick1955 wrote:

Hi i have these mushrooms growing in the centre of my lawn could someone
please ID them for me and are they edible ,many thanks Rick,H

|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15876|

Check he
http://academic.evergreen.edu/projec.../phm/index.htm
Old 16-10-2013, 10:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 wrote:
rick1955 wrote:

Hi i have these mushrooms growing in the centre of my lawn could
someone please ID them for me and are they edible ,many thanks Rick,H

Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15876|

Check he
http://academic.evergreen.edu/projec.../phm/index.htm

Even if you think you have identified it be cautious, positive ID can be
hard and there are some quite poisonous types that look much like edible
ones. If you really want to eat them start with a small bit and work up to
a plate full. Common symptoms of the inedible kind are burning mouth,
nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea. We harvest field mushrooms but nothing goes
into the pan unless two people are both sure it is correct. I don't know
the one in the pic but it isn't the common field mushroom found here.

Old 16-10-2013, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 08:41:28 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
rick1955 wrote:

Hi i have these mushrooms growing in the centre of my lawn could
someone please ID them for me and are they edible ,many thanks Rick,H

Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15876|

Check he
http://academic.evergreen.edu/projec.../phm/index.htm

Even if you think you have identified it be cautious, positive ID can be
hard and there are some quite poisonous types that look much like edible
ones. If you really want to eat them start with a small bit and work up to
a plate full. Common symptoms of the inedible kind are burning mouth,
nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea. We harvest field mushrooms but nothing goes
into the pan unless two people are both sure it is correct. I don't know
the one in the pic but it isn't the common field mushroom found here.

This all very good information. When in doubt eat none. Some wild
mushrooms are extremely toxic and everyone has a different
constitution, what will make your friend ill can kill you dead. Unless
you know for certain don't eat any. Check the web site I posted, and
you can send in your photo for an opinion, I've already done that and
was told not to eat what was growing on my property. I have giant
puffballs that grow here each year, I've been told they are edible but
haven't been told how much, so I don't eat any, I only take photos of
puffballs the size of a five gallon pail. I used to belong to a
mycological club affiliated with the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens. We went
on gathering field trips often, but many members became very ill
eating their finds. And often the neurological effect is permanent.
When in doubt do not partake.
Old 17-10-2013, 09:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 16/10/2013 22:41, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
rick1955 wrote:

Hi i have these mushrooms growing in the centre of my lawn could
someone please ID them for me and are they edible ,many thanks Rick,H

Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15876|

Check he
http://academic.evergreen.edu/projec.../phm/index.htm

Even if you think you have identified it be cautious, positive ID can be
hard and there are some quite poisonous types that look much like edible
ones. If you really want to eat them start with a small bit and work up to
a plate full. Common symptoms of the inedible kind are burning mouth,
nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea. We harvest field mushrooms but nothing goes
into the pan unless two people are both sure it is correct. I don't know
the one in the pic but it isn't the common field mushroom found here.

That is very bad advice - "quite poisonous types" is a dangerous
understatement. If you followed your advice to eat a small piece and
work up to a plateful, and happened to eat the most poisonous fungus we
have here in the UK - Amanita phalloides (Death Cap) - you would likely
die without medical help, and probably need a liver transplant if you
survived the acute poisoning. One Death Cap will destroy the liver.
Symptoms of liver damage will not show for around 24 - 48 hours after
ingestion,and by then it's too late. It does happen - although rarely,
thank goodness..

The /only/ answer with anyone who asks "can I eat this?" is "No". Then
add the caveat to find an expert who can positively identify the
"mushroom". But as it is sometimes the "experts" who get it wrong, and
suffer for it, I'm not sure even that is safe advice. If the fungus is
very distinctive, like a morel, fine, but if it looks like a common
mushroom, I'd err on the side of caution.

--

Jeff

Old 17-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick1955 View Post
Hi i have these mushrooms growing in the centre of my lawn could someone please ID them for me and are they edible ,many thanks Rick,H
This is not a fungus I would even bother trying to identify exactly and work out if it was poisonous or not, because its general appearance is not consistent with any of the fungi that are noted to be tasty and worth eating. It is "the usual rubbish". It is also in that area where there are loads of things of somewhat similar appearance. So unless you are starving and need to find a source of food to avoid risk of famine, I really wouldn't bother.