Old 15-09-2011, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mushroom Identification

In article , wrote:
wrote:
Sorry, no photo. However, just found one, and it looks familiar, but I
can't place it.

Parasol shaped, white turning to brown, gills are white (which iirc, is a
bad sign if looking for edible), straight stem, no volval bag (good sign for
not being poisonous), gills not attached to stem. Found on soil, autumn.

I'm not looking it up to see if it's edible so much as see if it's something
I need to be wary of regarding the kids, chickens, etc. It reminded me of
an amanita such as a destroying angel (seemed flatter than that) or a death
cap (more white), but also looked like a field mushroom with white gills.

Any ring? Agaricus NVER have white gills and always have a ring.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 15-09-2011, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15 Sep 2011 13:07:42 GMT, wrote:

Sorry, no photo. However, just found one, and it looks familiar, but I
can't place it.

Parasol shaped, white turning to brown, gills are white (which iirc, is a
bad sign if looking for edible), straight stem, no volval bag (good sign for
not being poisonous), gills not attached to stem. Found on soil, autumn.

You don't say on soil WHERE.
You don't say how BIG.
Look up parasol mushroom on Google images.
It sounds a bit like it, but there are so many similar things.
Parasol is a delicacy and one I would eat.

Pam in Bristol
Old 15-09-2011, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Pam Moore wrote:
You don't say on soil WHERE.

Underneath one of my butternut squash plants!

You don't say how BIG.

About what I would consider Mushroom Size. So ... 2" stem, relatively thin
parasol top

Look up parasol mushroom on Google images.

Yeah, tried that first, didn't look anything like any of these
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasol_mushroom#Gallery

It sounds a bit like it, but there are so many similar things.

I think it was the first one I tried. :-)
Of those photos, first is too pointy, this one was rounded. They all are
too 'bitty' on the top. The last is way off colour.

Parasol is a delicacy and one I would eat.

I am /incredibly/ mushroom-phobic for anything other than shop-bought or
where I've grown myself from known spores. I probably died of mushroom
poisoning in a previous life.

Old 15-09-2011, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Sorry, no photo. However, just found one, and it looks familiar, but I
can't place it.

Parasol shaped, white turning to brown, gills are white (which iirc, is a
bad sign if looking for edible), straight stem, no volval bag (good sign
for
not being poisonous), gills not attached to stem. Found on soil, autumn.

Can't offer an ID but can offer following advice- don't even consider
eating it.

Bill

Old 15-09-2011, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Sorry, no photo. However, just found one, and it looks familiar, but I
can't place it.

Parasol shaped, white turning to brown, gills are white (which iirc, is a
bad sign if looking for edible), straight stem, no volval bag (good sign
for
not being poisonous), gills not attached to stem. Found on soil, autumn.

Google for parasol mushroom+images.
I would not like to advise you whether or not it is poisonous.
I often get parasol type mushrooms in my garden but I don't eat them, just
in case.
Apparently some of them are edible and delicious but I don't risk it.
Tina

Old 15-09-2011, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Christina Websell wrote:
Google for parasol mushroom+images.

Tried that, was googling and wikipediaing for quite a while without turning
up anything that looked right. Hence hoping someone on here might recognise
the description

I would not like to advise you whether or not it is poisonous.

I wouldn't be trying it even if I was 99.9% sure. One day I may try the
mushrooms that grow out there because they're definitely field
mushrooms, and my neighbour has eaten them before. But she won't eat them
now in case the dogs next door have widdled on them, apparently.

Old 15-09-2011, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
Google for parasol mushroom+images.

Tried that, was googling and wikipediaing for quite a while without
turning
up anything that looked right. Hence hoping someone on here might
recognise
the description

I would not like to advise you whether or not it is poisonous.

I wouldn't be trying it even if I was 99.9% sure. One day I may try the
mushrooms that grow out there because they're definitely field
mushrooms, and my neighbour has eaten them before. But she won't eat them
now in case the dogs next door have widdled on them, apparently.

She could wash them.
I had several parasol mushrooms growing under my lilac trees, and I googled
them - they seemed to be safe to eat, but I didn't dare, in case I got the
ID wrong.
Tina

Old 16-09-2011, 12:34 AM
goldentony111's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Swansea

sorry dont know
Old 16-09-2011, 06:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , wrote:

I'm not looking it up to see if it's edible so much as see if it's something
I need to be wary of regarding the kids, chickens, etc. It reminded me of
an amanita such as a destroying angel (seemed flatter than that) or a death
cap (more white), but also looked like a field mushroom with white gills.

Any ring? Agaricus NVER have white gills and always have a ring.

You mean on the stem where it opened up from? Yes.
But it absolutely defintiely had white gills.

Probably Lepiota (parasol mushroom genus), but possibly Armillaria
(honey fungus genus). Quite possibly an edible parasol mushroom,
as I think someone said, and almost certainly non-lethal. But it
is a good rule NEVER to eat a fungus without being certain of
EXACTLY what it is.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-09-2011, 10:43 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
almost certainly non-lethal
I'm sorry, I disagree. "Looks like a field mushroom with white gills" includes quite a lot of nasties. There are some deadly Amanitas of that description, as already noted. But there are also Inocybes, Clitocybes, and Entolomas. Both Inocybe erubescens and Clitocybe rivulosa have caused death. Fortunately Entoloma has an unpleasant smell/taste, so you are unlikely to eat that one by mistake.

You even have to be careful with the parasols. The false parasol is the most common source of poisoning in North America, though they are uncommon in Europe.
Old 16-09-2011, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
echinosum wrote:

almost certainly non-lethal

I'm sorry, I disagree. "Looks like a field mushroom with white gills"
includes quite a lot of nasties. There are some deadly Amanitas of that
description, as already noted. But there are also Inocybes, Clitocybes,
and Entolomas. Both Inocybe erubescens and Clitocybe rivulosa have
caused death. Fortunately Entoloma has an unpleasant smell/taste, so
you are unlikely to eat that one by mistake.

OK. And just how many of those have a ring but no volva?

Why on earth did you think that I asked about that before posting?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-09-2011, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"echinosum" wrote in message

;936669 Wrote:
almost certainly non-lethal

I'm sorry, I disagree. "Looks like a field mushroom with white gills"
includes quite a lot of nasties.

Nick qualifies his "almost certainly non-lethal" statement in his next
sentence.

He gives very sound advice.

Bill