Old 24-11-2010, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default mushroom identification

These little mushrooms have come up in an indoor pot with a plant growing in
it. They don't match anything in Roger Phillips' book, or any of my other
mushroom books, and don't look like any I've seen before. As you can see,
an urn-like stem, with a little pointy cap. So far they're only about 1cm
high at most.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12519030@N02/5205411688/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12519030@N02/5205411572/

Any advice welcome. And if nobody knows, can anyone point me to a website
that might do identification?

Thanks from someone

Old 24-11-2010, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

someone wrote:
These little mushrooms have come up in an indoor pot with a plant growing in
it. They don't match anything in Roger Phillips' book, or any of my other
mushroom books, and don't look like any I've seen before. As you can see,
an urn-like stem, with a little pointy cap. So far they're only about 1cm
high at most.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12519030@N02/5205411688/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12519030@N02/5205411572/

Any advice welcome. And if nobody knows, can anyone point me to a website
that might do identification?

Thanks from someone

You're not going to be able to tell at this stage because the fruiting
bodies look immature. You need to wait a few days until the caps fully
open up as they reach full size.

Old 25-11-2010, 12:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Frank Booth Snr" wrote in message
o.uk...
someone wrote:
[...]

OK, I'll wait a while and see. It's the strange shape of the stem that has
me foxed. Also, the little mushrooms are only about 1 cm high, so life
could get interesting.

Old 25-11-2010, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 23:04:29 -0000, "someone"
wrote:

These little mushrooms have come up in an indoor pot with a plant growing in
it. They don't match anything in Roger Phillips' book, or any of my other
mushroom books, and don't look like any I've seen before. As you can see,
an urn-like stem, with a little pointy cap. So far they're only about 1cm
high at most.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12519030@N02/5205411688/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12519030@N02/5205411572/

Any advice welcome. And if nobody knows, can anyone point me to a website
that might do identification?

I see you have bark on the surface of the pot. The spores for your
fungus presumably came from that. Can't identify them tho!

Pam in Bristol
Old 25-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone View Post
These little mushrooms have come up in an indoor pot with a plant growing in
it. They don't match anything in Roger Phillips' book, or any of my other
mushroom books, and don't look like any I've seen before. As you can see,
an urn-like stem, with a little pointy cap. So far they're only about 1cm
high at most.

mush124 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

mush2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Any advice welcome. And if nobody knows, can anyone point me to a website
that might do identification?

Thanks from someone
I did once come across something about exotic mushrooms you might find in indoor pot plants, but I can't remember where. Probably some inspired googling might find them.

Old 25-11-2010, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'mush124 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!' (http://tinyurl.com/23uwyuy)

'mush2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!' (http://tinyurl.com/2bsmqax)

Any advice welcome. And if nobody knows, can anyone point me to a
website
that might do identification?

Thanks from someone

I did once come across something about exotic mushrooms you might find
in indoor pot plants, but I can't remember where. Probably some
inspired googling might find them.

On either radio or TV --I can't remember --they sometimes mention an
identification service of some sort: prowling through BBC Natural
History should find it.

--
Mike.

Old 28-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Registered User

Location: Lancashire, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lyle View Post
echinosum wrote:[color=blue][i]
someone;905846 Wrote:[color=green][i]
These little mushrooms have come up in an indoor pot with a plant
growing in
it. They don't match anything in Roger Phillips' book, or any of my
other
mushroom books, and don't look like any I've seen before. As you can
see,
an urn-like stem, with a little pointy cap. So far they're only about
1cm
high at most.

'mush124 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!' (mush124 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!)

'mush2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!' (mush2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!)

Any advice welcome. And if nobody knows, can anyone point me to a
website
that might do identification?

On either radio or TV --I can't remember --they sometimes mention an
identification service of some sort: prowling through BBC Natural
History should find it.

--
Mike.
Try ispot.org.uk Helped me ID fungi within a couple of days. It's like the old "I Spy" books only for adults.
Old 28-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone View Post
It's the strange shape of the stem that has
me foxed.
They look a bit cep/penny bun like to me.
Old 28-11-2010, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Queen of Spades wrote:
Mike Lyle;905901 Wrote:

[...]

On either radio or TV --I can't remember --they sometimes mention an
identification service of some sort: prowling through BBC Natural
History should find it.

Try ispot.org.uk Helped me ID fungi within a couple of days. It's
like the old "I Spy" books only for adults.

I think that's the one they've been mentioning.

--
Mike.

Old 28-11-2010, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 15:40:30 +0000, Granity
wrote:

someone;905851 Wrote:
It's the strange shape of the stem that has
me foxed.

They look a bit cep/penny bun like to me.

They may look the same shape as penny bun but are very much smaller.

Pam in Bristol

Old 29-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granity View Post
They look a bit cep/penny bun like to me.
That is neither the appearance of immature cep (which are mostly cap with little stem to start with), nor their habit either (sometimes a couple grow together, but not in a dense stand like that). Boletes mostly grow in mycorrhizal association with trees. I expect these ones will turn out to be gill-capped fungi.
Old 29-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
That is neither the appearance of immature cep (which are mostly cap with little stem to start with), nor their habit either (sometimes a couple grow together, but not in a dense stand like that). Boletes mostly grow in mycorrhizal association with trees. I expect these ones will turn out to be gill-capped fungi.
I was commenting specifically on the shape of the stem, I was not suggesting that they were ceps.