Old 26-11-2013, 04:34 AM
Registered User

Default Could someone ID this

I bought this plant in my local garden center in September. The display had it climbing up to a height of over 2m with red petal-like leaves randomly intermingled with the green. It is now late November and night time temperatures here (Luxembourg) are dropping to below zero. Despite that it shows no signs of wanting to loose its leaves or its colors (no petals though).

That makes me wonder - I am looking for a hedging plant to give us some privacy. By the looks of it this would be ideal. However, I don't know what it is. The plant was sold with no identifying information of any kind. I am hoping that someone here might be able to tell me what it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Could someone ID this-idthis.jpg
Old 26-11-2013, 11:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 26/11/2013 04:34, FredAt wrote:
I bought this plant in my local garden center in September. The display
had it climbing up to a height of over 2m with red petal-like leaves
randomly intermingled with the green. It is now late November and night
time temperatures here (Luxembourg) are dropping to below zero. Despite
that it shows no signs of wanting to loose its leaves or its colors (no
petals though).

That makes me wonder - I am looking for a hedging plant to give us some
privacy. By the looks of it this would be ideal. However, I don't know
what it is. The plant was sold with no identifying information of any
kind. I am hoping that someone here might be able to tell me what it
is.

|Filename: idthis.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15903|

It's a bit out-of-focus, but I'm wondering if it is a Trachelospermum.
The leaves don't really look fleshy enough, but it does tend to have
green and reddish leaves on plants. If it is, I doubt it'll survive
outside in a central European climate.

If you want an evergreen plant for privacy, you might want to consider a
holly, privet, box, or even a small conifer (it would have to be trimmed
regularly).

--

Jeff