Old 16-01-2014, 07:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Death by Irrigation

It has been dry lately so I have been irrigating the orchard. I moved the
sprayers this morning and then started the pump. One of the four heads
wasn't working at all. These are the type with two nipples, one has a
tapper, a spring loaded arm that rotates the whole assembly using the
pressure of the water. Normally they will give out some dribble of water
from either of the two jets even if blocked with organic matter sucked
through the pump from the river. On closer inspection something slimy was
being squeezed out of each jet. I pulled at it but did no good as I
couldn't get hold of it. So back to get some tools and take the head apart.
As I lifted it off the stand what should be hanging down out the inlet
side - legs. Green legs with webbed feet.

Imagine you are a frog and have curled up inside a bit of pipe for a kip.
Then a gush of high pressure water hits you and you are travelling at speed
down the main pipe, waterslide! Then you take a branch into a much narrower
pipe and round a few bends, upside down, wow water rollercoaster! Then you
reach the sprinkler head where some of you goes out one jet and some goes
out the other....

Old 16-01-2014, 01:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Brained-Scott" wrote:

[...]

Only the lead imbecile of all imbeciles pumps water from a natural
source without installing a proper screen... you sick *******!
/\
/ \
/ \
/ \
| ¤ ¤ |
| ¿ |
| «» |
|________| ---
"David Hare-Brained-Scott" wins the
Pointy-Headed Imbecile Award®

Old 16-01-2014, 02:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:

[...]

how sad for the froggie.

i hope you'll put a screen around the end soon.

also, it may be worth the time to set up a small
wetland/sandbox/pondlet to filter the water before
you suck it up as then you'll keep stuff out of the
lines/heads.

songbird
Old 16-01-2014, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

songbird wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:

[...]

yes

i hope you'll put a screen around the end soon.

This is the first time for this kind of problem as normally there is no
opening to the system.

also, it may be worth the time to set up a small
wetland/sandbox/pondlet to filter the water before
you suck it up as then you'll keep stuff out of the
lines/heads.

No need, the drawing end is a foot valve in the river which is screened.
The screen is fine enough to exclude frogs etc but will occasionally admit a
bit of grass or stick. The frog got in because I opened the system to add
in a new section of pipe.

Old 21-01-2014, 06:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 17/01/2014 12:09 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
[...]

Grow up Sheldon. It's a frog that met with an untimely accident not
some cute furry, big eyed, little mammal such as those used by TV anchor
idiots to bring forth gasps in incredulous viewers at the end of the
half hour of crud that passes for "News .

David didn't go out of his way to step on it and nor did he use any of
the arsenal of the flora or fauna killing substances most of us have in
our sheds. The frog was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Get over it.
Old 21-01-2014, 09:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Derald wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:

Get over it.

Does "****ing into the wind" mean anything to you? ;-)

Into the ether actually since I have him plonked, I only see Brooklyn's
stuff when others quote it. Him inventing a reason to give an insult (to
Fran) was the reason on this occasion. Now he does it again. It must be
unhealthy to be so filled with anger that you not only go looking for
excuses to blast people but manufacture them out of whole cloth.

As I explained to Bird a couple of days ago (which obviously never made it
to Shelly's server), the system is normally sealed against intrusion.

Old 25-01-2014, 01:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 22/01/2014 4:57 AM, Derald wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:

Get over it.

Does "****ing into the wind" mean anything to you? ;-)

:-)) True. But we could also apply that old maxim about "good men" how
their inactivity ensures the triumph of evil.

We are a form of community here and, IMO, any disagreements should be
based on logic not just poop on the liver in an individual.

Old 25-01-2014, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 22/01/2014 8:47 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Derald wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:

Get over it.

Does "****ing into the wind" mean anything to you? ;-)

Into the ether actually since I have him plonked, I only see Brooklyn's
stuff when others quote it. Him inventing a reason to give an insult
(to Fran) was the reason on this occasion. Now he does it again. It
must be unhealthy to be so filled with anger that you not only go
looking for excuses to blast people but manufacture them out of whole
cloth.

As I explained to Bird a couple of days ago (which obviously never made
it to Shelly's server), the system is normally sealed against intrusion.

Even if it wasn't sealed against such problems, I've begun to notice an
increasing squeamishness in media of all types about death and the
source and production of food. Too few people seem to be aware of the
most basic realities of life. That ignorance is for me almost as
offensive as the anti science approach that climate scientists have to face.

Old 25-01-2014, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

Fran Farmer wrote:

Get over it.

Does "****ing into the wind" mean anything to you? ;-)

:-)) True. But we could also apply that old maxim about "good men"
how their inactivity ensures the triumph of evil.

I suppose you mean the one often attribute to Edmund Burke which usually
goes something like '.. all that is required for evil to triumph is for good
men to do nothing..." I quite like the sentiment and have used it myself.
The odd thing is I went looking for the origin of it and it turns out that
nobody can say just where and when he said it, so it remains unattributed.
It was used in The West Wing where they have POTUS using it and attributing
it to Burke. I suppose I will now be branded a 'lefty' for liking the show
about a fictional Democratic President. There are tougher things to bear.

We are a form of community here and, IMO, any disagreements should be
based on logic not just poop on the liver in an individual.

Yes. But you can see around you all the time arguments based on insult,
bias, bigotry, popular appeal, .... the list goes on... but arguments based
on facts and logic not so much.

Enough of this foolishness back to dragging hoses about.

Old 25-01-2014, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

Derald wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:

[...]

Those who have "eeewwwww" so ready on their lips all practice ahimsa and
walk about sweeping the path in front of them like monks who must avoid
treading on any of theirs God's (or maybe Gods') creatures. And they never
spray, or buy food from those who do, or allow spray into waterways where it
puts at risk those frogs who didn't get into the wrong pipe.

Old 26-01-2014, 01:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

Fran Farmer wrote:

Get over it.
Does "****ing into the wind" mean anything to you? ;-)

:-)) True. But we could also apply that old maxim about "good men"
how their inactivity ensures the triumph of evil.

I suppose you mean the one often attribute to Edmund Burke which usually
goes something like '.. all that is required for evil to triumph is for
good men to do nothing..." I quite like the sentiment and have used it
myself. The odd thing is I went looking for the origin of it and it
turns out that nobody can say just where and when he said it, so it
remains unattributed.

Hmmmmmm. I'm married to a hair splitter so when the Oxford Dictionary
of Quotations says of the quote that: "Attributed (in a number of forms)
To Burke, but not found in his writings.", I'd either be told (or would
say myself) that just because it's not yet been found in his writings is
not proof of anything yet.

It was used in The West Wing where they have POTUS
using it and attributing it to Burke. I suppose I will now be branded a
'lefty' for liking the show about a fictional Democratic President.
There are tougher things to bear.

I never watched it enough to know one way or another whether it was left
wing or not. US politics always seems very right wing to me.

We are a form of community here and, IMO, any disagreements should be
based on logic not just poop on the liver in an individual.

Yes. But you can see around you all the time arguments based on insult,
bias, bigotry, popular appeal, .... the list goes on... but arguments
based on facts and logic not so much.

Enough of this foolishness back to dragging hoses about.

Yes. At a breakfast get together this am a friend was saying how lucky
he is to have sold his property because "the drought is about to start".
I hope he's got that very wrong because I do not need any more dryness
round here.

Old 26-01-2014, 07:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Unintended death by Irrigation

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Derald wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:

Get over it.

Does "****ing into the wind" mean anything to you? ;-)

Into the ether actually since I have him plonked, I only see Brooklyn's
stuff when others quote it. Him inventing a reason to give an insult (to
Fran) was the reason on this occasion. Now he does it again. It must be
unhealthy to be so filled with anger that you not only go looking for
excuses to blast people but manufacture them out of whole cloth.

As I explained to Bird a couple of days ago (which obviously never made it
to Shelly's server), the system is normally sealed against intrusion.

Don't take it seriously. Shelly is a drunk, and not a happy one. For
some people the only happiness is to see others down in a hole. If you
are down, then Shelly is up, but then who gives a crap what Shelly
thinks anyway?

The frog, I have sympathy for. Poor, unsuspecting little froggy. At
least the frog made this a better world, unlike Shelly.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 29-01-2014, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 1/16/2014 12:12 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
[...]

A simple diverter device would channel any oversized material out of a
relief pipe. If said pipe was mounted vertically, and the pressure
kicked up a tick or two, I would bet one could get performances up in
the 9.3 th 9.7 range, with a bonus for height.

Steve

Old 29-01-2014, 06:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 1/16/2014 6:09 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
[...]

What happened? Get kicked out of the foodie groups? What is the figure
just above this text? It looks like a stool sample. Not one of mine,
mind you.