Old 22-04-2014, 10:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Parsley suddenly took a dive

I'm in south Florida. I bought a small flat-leaf parsley plant that took
off like a rocket many weeks ago. I just don't understand how seemingly
almost overnight it could go from a big, bushy, healthy-looking plant to
something that almost looks like it got sprayed with herbicide.

All the stems are drooping a fair bit, several have yellowing leaves
(especially on the "sunny" side), and there are some silvery
splotches/speckles that remind me of a plant that's been attacked by
mites or some other critter. Never even got to make any tabbouleh.

This is a condo and they do spray, but so far they've have had enough
sense not to hit the plants I've set out there - especially one so
well-established. The nearby turmeric and Amaryllis so far seem unaffected.

It'd be nice to hear some ideas, but I guess I'm mostly just venting. If
it croaks hopefully I'll know more after I dig it out.
Old 22-04-2014, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/22/2014 2:55 PM, Nelly W wrote:
[...]

Too much water.

Not enough water.

Fertilizer burn. (Too much fertilizer, or fertilizer added on dry soil.)

Potted? Roots cooked by too much sunshine on pot.

Snails.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 23-04-2014, 01:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/22/2014 6:26 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

Hello, David.
It's not burn, I don't think...mostly because I rarely (if ever)
fertilize. That includes houseplants (which even here still stay inside
the porch). Doggie piddle aside; there are lots of dogs, but I have one
of those scalloped brick semi-circles to sort-of protect it from stuff
like that. And give the chem addicts an indication not to spray there.
Although, we recently did have a bit of rain (that's relative here
anyway) but the soil here is very sandy, so... Still wouldn't explain
why its close neighbors (meaning the Amaryllis & the turmeric) look
exactly as I left them day before yesterday.
Puzzling...
Old 23-04-2014, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 17:55:10 -0400, Nelly W
wrote:

[...]

I'd not plant anything I'd want to eat where landscapers are treating
the area with chemicals

Old 24-04-2014, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Nelly W wrote:

[...]

Could well be the landscapers sprayed the lawn with weed killer and
your parsley received some over spray on one side... but there's no
way to tell for sure unless you ask and they aren't going to admit
spraying your plant. Were it me I'd replant and plant a few in
different spots, perhaps in a large patio planter... parsley actually
does better in diffused sunlight. I plant parsley at the steps to my
rear deck (handy to my kitchen), it gets direct sun only during the
first half of the day and it thrives... I prefer curly leaf parsley,
it's sweeter than flat leaf.
Old 25-04-2014, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross wrote:
Too much water.

Not enough water.

Fertilizer burn. (Too much fertilizer, or fertilizer added on dry soil.)

Potted? Roots cooked by too much sunshine on pot.

Snails.

root knot nematode.

too hot too quickly, overloading respiration requirements,
vascular collapse.

songbird