Old 13-06-2014, 02:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Raccoons!

Frank said:
On 6/12/2014 3:50 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Frank wrote:
Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Brooklyn1 said:

Wouldn't rap attract coons?

OK then.

*plonk*

I thought it was funny and thinking about it, don't want my Senator
Coons running around my back yard.

In every group there's at least one thin skinned humorless
miscreant... typically those who get their hackles up over harmless
racial wit are the closet racists, and those holier than thou
pretenders are the most dangerous.

Politically correct, I am not, but believe a couple of years ago it was
Pat who gave me some very good help identifying a pesky weed.

"Brooklyn1" had already been flagged for general crankiness and occasional
asshattery but I finally sent him from 'mark as read' to 'delete from group.'

Ever taken an implicit assumption test for racism? I have, according to that
test I don't show implicit racial bias. I guess I should thank my 5th grade
teacher, Mr. T, who was *my* 'Sir' and a very fine man indeed. So can the
projection and rationalization "Brooklyn1." Maybe I am cranky, but I don't
like casual racism and I see far too much of it.

http://www.science20.com/news_articl...n_test_are_you
_secretly_racist_hint_you_are-92783

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 13-06-2014, 07:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Frank wrote:
Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Brooklyn1 said:

[...]

I think we can all get along.
Nobody's perfect.
Old 18-06-2014, 03:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

BooHoo,

Last year was the first year for my peach tree to bear fruit and it
did, many, many peaches. This year there would have been even more,
but in one night (it seems) they were all gone.

My neighbor claims it is raccoons, but I can't be sure. We have a
plum tree on the other side of the house that has always been left
alone.

What can we do? We had raccoons under the deck one year and played
rap music (!), and put rags soaked in ammonia under there and they
left, but that won't work with this tree. Or would it?

TIA,

Julie

I don't have raccoons but I do have possums (not opossums). A possum is
smart, strong, agile climber, dedicated to the task of getting your
fruit and with good teeth. Is that like a raccoon? If so only wire
mesh that they cannot chew through or electric tape that they cannot get
past will keep them off ripe fruit.

Hmmm, my rough take on the difference is that a possum is much much
smarter. What kind of wire deters a possum?

I have opossums and raccoons here, though being piedmont urban, Atlanta,
not in large numbers.

I also have peaches disappear in one night.
I wonder which is the most likely perpetrator?

Looking for fence wire on the cheap. 1/2" hardware cloth is pricey in
quantity. What about regular welded wire?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_492387-16418...uctId=50017410

Or a mix?

pentapus
Old 18-06-2014, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
julie.nils wrote:

Last year was the first year for my peach tree to bear fruit and it
did, many, many peaches. This year there would have been even more,
but in one night (it seems) they were all gone.

My neighbor claims it is raccoons, but I can't be sure. We have a
plum tree on the other side of the house that has always been left
alone.

What can we do? We had raccoons under the deck one year and played
rap music (!), and put rags soaked in ammonia under there and they
left, but that won't work with this tree. Or would it?

I don't have raccoons but I do have possums (not opossums).

If you're in the US you are refering to Opossums.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opossum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possum
Pointy headed rednecks refer to Opossums as possums because due to
their lack of education they are monosyllabic.

Old 18-06-2014, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/18/2014 10:12 AM, pentapus wrote:
[...]

When I had peach trees I saw groundhogs run off with them. They would
also burrow under chicken wire fencing around my garden.

Old 18-06-2014, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

pentapus wrote:
[...]

Speaking of possums, synthetic fibre netting such as the kind used to keep
off birds will not do they definitely chew through that. It needs to be
metal. They are excellent climbers and leapers so if the fence is climbable
it needs an electric wire too. The effective combination that I have seen
is a normal height wire fence around the orchard with dog wire (metal mesh
about 6cm grid) added to fill in between the standard wires plus an electric
wire on standoffs near the top on the outside. They climb the mesh but then
touch the electric line and jump off.

I have opossums and raccoons here, though being piedmont urban,
Atlanta, not in large numbers.

I have no experience of opossums.

I also have peaches disappear in one night.
I wonder which is the most likely perpetrator?

Looking for fence wire on the cheap. 1/2" hardware cloth is pricey in
quantity. What about regular welded wire?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_492387-16418...uctId=50017410

Weldmesh would do the job provided they cannot climb over it.

David