Old 11-06-2014, 12:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Raccoons!

BooHoo,

Last year was the first year for my peach tree to bear fruit and it did, many, many peaches. This year there would have been even more, but in one night (it seems) they were all gone.

My neighbor claims it is raccoons, but I can't be sure. We have a plum tree on the other side of the house that has always been left alone.

What can we do? We had raccoons under the deck one year and played rap music (!), and put rags soaked in ammonia under there and they left, but that won't work with this tree. Or would it?

TIA,

Julie
Old 11-06-2014, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tuesday, June 10, 2014 5:20:02 PM UTC-7, Frank wrote:
On 6/10/2014 7:27 PM, wrote:

BooHoo,

Last year was the first year for my peach tree to bear fruit and it did, many, many peaches. This year there would have been even more, but in one night (it seems) they were all gone.

My neighbor claims it is raccoons, but I can't be sure. We have a plum tree on the other side of the house that has always been left alone.

What can we do? We had raccoons under the deck one year and played rap music (!), and put rags soaked in ammonia under there and they left, but that won't work with this tree. Or would it?

TIA,

Julie

Get the largest Hav-a-hart trap and bait with peanut butter.

You can catch and release or kill raccoons or groundhogs

We just got done -- I hope! -- with another raccoon episode. He/she/it usedt to come in the cat door, scarfed cat's food; messed his water dish. That's when I was told that raccoons don't have salivary glands (???) and have to wash their food? It took dim me a while to grok (dated) what was happening.

Our local shelter used to let us check out cages to catch critters; I once caught a whole possum family over a week's time. Now they don't even RENT cages; "We don't pick up live animals" some wording like that. La-di-dah!

Can't afford a commercial cage, so had to do the obvious AGAIN. Block up the cat door and let cat enter/exit via bedroom window. Last time I was too stupid to provide steps, so cat ruined wallpaper scratching his way up.

Good luck on your raccoon problem! Does your community have an animal shelter that might help?

(Thinking: Wish I still had my son's old .22)

HB

Old 11-06-2014, 06:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/10/2014 7:27 PM, wrote:

[...]

Now Higgs, what sort of good patriotic old boy are you that you don't
even have a .22 in your house?

I could lend you one but you're a bit too far away and it'd probably
result in me losing my Gun Licence if I did such a thing anyway.......

Old 11-06-2014, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/10/2014 7:27 PM, wrote:

[...]

Higgs posts to ask how to flush his toilet
But, that is besides the point.
Maybe where he lives rabies is not endemic but it is here.
Cat door, to me is a dumb idea.
He's not the first to come down in the morning to find a raccoon eating
cat food in his house.
Hav-a-hart type trap is not hard or expensive to make yourself. I made
one with a chicken wire frame and a sliding door tripped by bait wire in
the back of the trap. Got a real Hav-a-hart when I caught a skunk in my
home made trap and had trouble getting rid of it.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wednesday, June 11, 2014 9:22:24 AM UTC-7, Frank wrote:
On 6/11/2014 11:09 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 16:27:59 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

BooHoo,

Last year was the first year for my peach tree to bear fruit and it did, many, many peaches. This year there would have been even more, but in one night (it seems) they were all gone.

My neighbor claims it is raccoons, but I can't be sure. We have a plum tree on the other side of the house that has always been left alone.

What can we do? We had raccoons under the deck one year and played rap music (!), and put rags soaked in ammonia under there and they left, but that won't work with this tree. Or would it?

Wouldn't rap attract coons?

Good point.

Barbra Streisand music would be better.

(Reacts excitedly): Now here's a situation ripe for scientific investigation.
All it takes is 'n' quantity of "virgin" raccoons -- no, no, not what you think -- 'coons not heretofore exposed to any school of music.

Equal number of cages, properly fitted out (food, drink, elimination, rest)

Musical device hooked up to individual speaker in each case -- stereo good but not crucial -- with controls accessible to experimenters.

Monitors attached to each 'coon -- heart, lungs, brain; others to be determined by experimental protocol, as a function of desired outcomes.

Trained experimenters to monitor the monitors.

And finally, and must crucially, a selection of music from rap to Streisand to grand opera (German AND Italian; SO different!), Australian aboriginal performed by didgeridoo artist, and on and on.

Objective: Establish which is most effective in keeping raccoons away -- while not causing the neighbors to call the police -- not forgetting to factor in latitude (temperature; day vs night; precipitation; other environmental variables.

Ah, science -- isn't it wonderful!

HB

Old 11-06-2014, 06:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/11/2014 1:09 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

Throw in global warming and get a government grant.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 said:

Wouldn't rap attract coons?

OK then.

*plonk*

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 12-06-2014, 07:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/12/2014 9:12 AM, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Brooklyn1 said:

Wouldn't rap attract coons?

OK then.

*plonk*

I thought it was funny and thinking about it, don't want my Senator
Coons running around my back yard.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Frank wrote:
Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Brooklyn1 said:

Wouldn't rap attract coons?

OK then.

*plonk*

I thought it was funny and thinking about it, don't want my Senator
Coons running around my back yard.

In every group there's at least one thin skinned humorless
miscreant... typically those who get their hackles up over harmless
racial wit are the closet racists, and those holier than thou
pretenders are the most dangerous.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/12/2014 3:50 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Frank wrote:
Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Brooklyn1 said:

Wouldn't rap attract coons?

OK then.

*plonk*

I thought it was funny and thinking about it, don't want my Senator
Coons running around my back yard.

In every group there's at least one thin skinned humorless
miscreant... typically those who get their hackles up over harmless
racial wit are the closet racists, and those holier than thou
pretenders are the most dangerous.

Politically correct, I am not, but believe a couple of years ago it was
Pat who gave me some very good help identifying a pesky weed.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Frank wrote:
Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Brooklyn1 said:

Wouldn't rap attract coons?

OK then.

*plonk*

I thought it was funny and thinking about it, don't want my Senator
Coons running around my back yard.

In every group there's at least one thin skinned humorless
miscreant... typically those who get their hackles up over harmless
racial wit are the closet racists, and those holier than thou
pretenders are the most dangerous.

Politically correct, I am not, but believe a couple of years ago it was
Pat who gave me some very good help identifying a pesky weed.

I doubt anyone gives a rap... Pat is the weed.