Old 03-10-2014, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default OT; RF headphones

Esteemed fellow gardeners, may I solicit your input on unrelated Subject?

I am shopping for Sennheiser RF headphones to listen to TV (never mind multiple reasons!)

This ad on Amazon for RS 120 headphones is confusing:

"Sennheiser Urbanite
The new Urbanite headphones deliver intense club sound, serving up solid bass with Sennheiser's uncompromising clarity through the entire frequency range. Available in on-ear and over-ear versions in a variety of colors to suit your style. Shop now"

What does "deliver club sound" means and what does "solid bass" mean?

As I am a card-carrying female, genetically programmed to prefer more treble and less bass,
I hesitate to leap before getting advice Messages on a hi-fi group are not getting replies; TV is not "hi" fi enough for them..g

Your input appreciated.

HB
Old 03-10-2014, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
Hypatia Nachshon writes:

This ad on Amazon for RS 120 headphones is confusing:

"Sennheiser Urbanite
The new Urbanite headphones deliver intense club sound, serving up solid bass with Sennheiser's
uncompromising clarity through the entire frequency range. Available in on-ear and over-ear versions in a
variety of colors to suit your style. Shop now"

What does "deliver club sound" means and what does "solid bass" mean?

The marketing assumption here is that headphones are for music, and
that "clubbing" is the ultimate experience for listening to music.
(I'd have gone with "concert sound," but I'm old.)

So, they are just claiming that they are really good, unlike the
cheap earbuds that you are assumed to be replacing.

Good delivery of bass is also a problem for cheap and/or small
speakers (which headphones are). The writing is assuming that you
have the bass turned up and want to do that. I would not expect
that they are increasing bass.

FWIW, I've never heard of Sennheiser, so I don't know anything
specific about their products.

--
Drew Lawson | What you own is your own kingdom
Old 05-10-2014, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Friday, October 3, 2014 1:27:16 PM UTC-7, Drew Lawson wrote:
In article

Hypatia Nachshon writes:

This ad on Amazon for RS 120 headphones is confusing:

"Sennheiser Urbanite

The new Urbanite headphones deliver intense club sound, serving up solid bass with Sennheiser's

uncompromising clarity through the entire frequency range. Available in on-ear and over-ear versions in a

variety of colors to suit your style. Shop now"

What does "deliver club sound" means and what does "solid bass" mean?

The marketing assumption here is that headphones are for music, and

that "clubbing" is the ultimate experience for listening to music.

(I'd have gone with "concert sound," but I'm old.)

So, they are just claiming that they are really good, unlike the cheap earbuds that you are assumed to be replacing.

Oh, that's a relief! I inferred that it was the sound from the "club scene", meaning mobs packed together "dancing" to supersonic blast from very loud speakers!

Good delivery of bass is also a problem for cheap and/or small speakers (which headphones are). The writing is assuming that you have the bass turned up and want to do that. I would not expect that they are increasing bass.

Heaven grant!

"For this relief, much thanks!" Hamlet, Act One, Scene One.

HB

Old 06-10-2014, 01:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Good delivery of bass is also a problem for cheap and/or small
speakers (which headphones are). The writing is assuming that you
have the bass turned up and want to do that. I would not expect
that they are increasing bass.

Some headphones do increase the bass, and can make the music sound bloated. It's
a matter of preferences.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sunday, October 5, 2014 5:31:32 PM UTC-7, Bob F wrote:
Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

Good delivery of bass is also a problem for cheap and/or small

speakers (which headphones are). The writing is assuming that you

have the bass turned up and want to do that. I would not expect

that they are increasing bass.

Some headphones do increase the bass, and can make the music sound bloated. It's

a matter of preferences.

OMG I hope I don't have to return them. I'm always antsy when a mgr makes a point of mentioning the bass!

Stay tunes (pun intended)

HB

Old 07-10-2014, 07:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/06/2014 07:28 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Stay tunes (pun intended)

What do you intend to listen to on them? Jazz?
Old 07-10-2014, 06:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, October 6, 2014 11:20:04 PM UTC-7, Todd wrote:
On 10/06/2014 07:28 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

Stay tunes (pun intended)

What do you intend to listen to on them? Jazz?

Purpose was spelled out in the Subject line at the beginning of this thread.

HB
Old 07-10-2014, 07:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/07/2014 10:43 AM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
On Monday, October 6, 2014 11:20:04 PM UTC-7, Todd wrote:
On 10/06/2014 07:28 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

Stay tunes (pun intended)

What do you intend to listen to on them? Jazz?

Purpose was spelled out in the Subject line at the beginning of this thread.

HB

"RF" means Radio Frequency to me. As in Wireless Headphones.
Does it mean something else to you?
Old 08-10-2014, 05:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Esteemed fellow gardeners, may I solicit your input on unrelated Subject?

I am shopping for Sennheiser RF headphones to listen to TV (never mind multiple reasons!)

This ad on Amazon for RS 120 headphones is confusing:

"Sennheiser Urbanite
The new Urbanite headphones deliver intense club sound, serving up solid
bass with Sennheiser's uncompromising clarity through the entire
frequency range. Available in on-ear and over-ear versions in a variety
of colors to suit your style. Shop now"

Club, like disco. Loud exadurated bass and treble.

What does "deliver club sound" means and what does "solid bass" mean?

Solid as opposed to muddy distorted bass.
Closed phones, as opposed to open air, generally are capable of more bass.
Might have to google urbanite.

Greg

Old 09-10-2014, 10:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 3 Oct 2014 12:57:43 -0700 (PDT), Hypatia Nachshon
wrote:

Esteemed fellow gardeners, may I solicit your input on unrelated Subject?

I am shopping for Sennheiser RF headphones to listen to TV (never mind multiple reasons!)

This ad on Amazon for RS 120 headphones is confusing:

"Sennheiser Urbanite
The new Urbanite headphones deliver intense club sound, serving up solid bass with Sennheiser's uncompromising clarity through the entire frequency range. Available in on-ear and over-ear versions in a variety of colors to suit your style. Shop now"

What does "deliver club sound" means and what does "solid bass" mean?

As I am a card-carrying female, genetically programmed to prefer more treble and less bass,
I hesitate to leap before getting advice Messages on a hi-fi group are not getting replies; TV is not "hi" fi enough for them..g

Your input appreciated.

HB

Sennheiser of old was not all that noted for lots of bass, but very high
quality reproduction. Comparing models found, the RS110 may be a better
fit for your stated needs.

?-)

Old 10-10-2014, 02:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tuesday, October 7, 2014 9:11:04 PM UTC-7, gregz wrote:
Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

Esteemed fellow gardeners, may I solicit your input on unrelated Subject?

I am shopping for Sennheiser RF headphones to listen to TV (never mind multiple reasons!)

This ad on Amazon for RS 120 headphones is confusing:

"Sennheiser Urbanite

The new Urbanite headphones deliver intense club sound, serving up solid

bass with Sennheiser's uncompromising clarity through the entire

frequency range. Available in on-ear and over-ear versions in a variety

of colors to suit your style. Shop now"

Club, like disco. Loud exadurated bass and treble.

OMG, that's different from what another Hon. Member said about bass. Your take is what I in total ignorance thought. I cannot STAND hyped bass. What to do...!

Old 10-10-2014, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

I had purchased RF headphones by SONY from Best Buy. They simply did not work.
When I returned them, the salesman said many were being retured. Just NG.

That's why I opted to go for Sennheiser, despite price differential - based on old reputation. Didn't know it had changed?? Or had it?

So now, OMG on steroids! You think RS110!

I ordered the RD 170 USED supposed to be LIKE NEW. When it comes, I will have to see what the bass is like. At this point I'm almost ready to look for an old TV that still has a port for headphones. Mine is maybe 6 years old, and already then they weren't making them. I failed to notice when buyingTV.

WHY did they stop making TVs w/port for headphones???

HB
Old 10-10-2014, 11:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

Club, like disco. Loud exadurated bass and treble.

OMG, that's different from what another Hon. Member said about bass.
Your take is what I in total ignorance thought. I cannot STAND
hyped bass. What to do...!

Enjoyment of sound is quite subjective. Why would you listen to a bunch of
people that you have never met on such a topic when you have no idea what
their taste is? It may also be that different models from the same maker
have different frequency response and manufacturers may hype their sales
pitch one way or the other depending on the market they are attacking.

Use the brain that your god(s) gave you and try before you buy and pick what
YOU like.

--
David

A better world requires a daily struggle
against those who would mislead us.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Very few TVs ever had headphone port/jack, mostly smaller portable ones.
But that is here near Silicon Valley, CA, USA. Markets vary by location.
My favorite, of the headphones that i have, is Kenwood KPM-410, probably
no longer available, very smooth with nice big earpieces and good cushions
surround them, very comfortable. us $100 new. Other reviews like the
KPM-310 better, but both are a decade old now. You might try some
Kenwoods if you get the chance.

?-)

Old 17-10-2014, 06:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Newer tvs tend to have jacks. My comfort zone are my audio technica phones
that don't touch your ear, just your head. Ath-ad700 ?, my grados with the
bigger pads are not bad, and my Sony MDR-V6 phones are great too, the only
closed set I have. All different, all pretty good. None RF, but could be
with some adaptor.
I once had a pair of Koss electrostatic, what heavy head huggers they were.

Greg