Old 06-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Frogleg

Default Rubber Mulch!!

"Vox Humana" wrote

Maybe I don't get out much, but a few days ago I was browsing the garden
department at Lowe's and found some bags of rubber mulch.

I haven't seen rubber mulch, but the latest issue of Organic Gardening
has an article on mulches and recommends against recycled tires for
the purpose. Unfortunately, this article isn't available online.
Old 31-12-2004, 01:10 PM
134john

just a word or so about the tractor tires ........think of the tens
of millions of tires that are on the soil of the country...growing the
crops for us...please, give me a break...forget about that horse shoe
pit...its a bad joke by someone who is out of contact with her reality
to the agri community of the world...looking ahead,,,,,,,i dont think
using ground up tires is a very good idea either...since the exposed
wash area is increased a thousand fold...so may i in all
respect,,,agree and not agree...........john
zxcvbob wrote:
paghat wrote:

In article , zxcvbob
wrote:

Judy and Dave G wrote:

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
. ..

Maybe I don't get out much, but a few days ago I was browsing the

garden
department at Lowe's and found some bags of rubber mulch.

snip

Yuck.

10 years ago we applied to be certified as organic. When the

inspector was
here doing the initial inspection on the lay of the land and the

use of
chemicals in the bottoms, etc., she noticed a horseshoe setup.

The previous
owner had used old tractor tires as the surround on each pit. She

said the
runoff from that space would be away from the certified land,

however, she
strongly recommended getting rid of the tires. She said

investigations had
been done and the chemical that old tires would leach into the

soil was
definitely NOT to be in contact with food. And definitely not

organic.

And now it is being sold as a permanent mulch.

Yuck.
Judy

You are making a big assumption that the inspector knew what she

was
talking about, and was not just groping for something bad to say

about old
tires because they offend her sensabilities.

Best regards,
Bob

Rubber mulch toxifies the ground with excesses of zinc. It is

non-organic
& very harmful.

-paghat the ratgirl

Perhaps, but I was talking about the old tractor tire that was on the

property in the horseshoe pit in the original message. Not ground up

tire
mulch.

Ground-up tires would have enough surface area that *maybe* metals or

cyclic hydrocarbons *might* leach out. But a whole tractor tire

seems
pretty inert to me, and not much surface area. Anything that can

leach out
already did leach out years ago.

Best regards,
Bob

[IMG] code is On

Toxic Rubber Mulch paghat Gardening 4 09-06-2004 10:56 AM
Toxic Rubber Mulch paghat Gardening 0 08-06-2004 03:57 PM
Rubber Mulch ??? Peter Gardening 29 07-04-2004 04:32 AM
Rubber Mulch ??? Peter Gardening 0 01-04-2004 06:46 PM
Rubber mulch (example: Rubberific) Ed Greenwood Gardening 0 24-03-2003 06:32 PM