Old 01-04-2004, 06:46 PM
Peter

Default Rubber Mulch ???

Went to the local Home and Garden Show this weekend..... one product that
seemed to have value was "rubber mulch" which was manufactured out
of recycled tires.

Some reasons why I thought it would work a

Longevity - keeps its color for about 20 years. The material doesn't break down.

About 5 times heavier than traditional mulch... I have a lot of leaves in the fall plus
those stupid round spiky balls from sweet gum trees all year round. Using a blower
on shredded hardwood, blows the mulch away. The sales literature suggests
that yard cleanup will be a lot easier using the rubber mulch which stays intact.

The rubber mulch does not absorb or transfer water between air and ground...Water
soaks through the pieces of mulch and is kept in the ground. Less watering, more
water available to the plants, less evaporation.

The rubber mulch is inorganic and will not attract insects and will not provide a
home for slugs....both of which are a continuing problem. Which in turn
cuts down on the use of insecticide.

The area which I'm thinking of using this mulch is a plant bed in front of the
house.... the area is 6' by 25'. The current plants are 3 China Girl Hollies,
a full grown yew... rows of established Hostas, a few lillies and daffodils
and a established fern. The bed is pretty well established, I'm not planning
on adding any more plants to it, but will have to divide the hostas and replenish the
bulbs.

So despite the fact that on a hot zone 8 day (temperatures of 105'), the front yard
yard may smell like a car tire.... and that I will not be able to turn over this bed
again....... Are there any downsides to using this product under these circumstances??

Thanks !!!

http://www.rubberificmulch.com/
Old 01-04-2004, 06:46 PM
Phisherman

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 06:32:01 -0500, Peter wrote:

[...]

Seems like this might be good for some applications. The downside is
that the ground will not be able to "breathe" freely which could lead
to other conditions. Organic mulches such as pine needles, bark
chips, compost, leaf mold, etc add nutrients to the soil, but a rubber
mat does very little. As a professional landscaper, I question the
artificial appearance of it.

Old 01-04-2004, 06:46 PM
Frank Logullo

Peter wrote in message ...
[...]

The environmentalists, most of which do not know chemistry, will find fault
with the crap that's put in rubber and try to condemn it ;(
Frank

Old 01-04-2004, 06:47 PM

the other purpose of mulch is to break down and improve the soil. rubber aint gonna
do that. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 01-04-2004, 06:47 PM
Lisa Hurley

If you give it a try, please let us know how it goes! I live in northern
Montana -- so far, any mulch that I put down ends up blowing to North
Dakota -- I hope it is enriching the soil of some lucky gardener there. :-)

Lisa

Old 01-04-2004, 06:47 PM
Jim Elbrecht

Peter wrote:

Went to the local Home and Garden Show this weekend..... one product that
seemed to have value was "rubber mulch" which was manufactured out
of recycled tires.

It got me to look just because I think anything that uses old tires is
worth looking into.

-snip why it is good-

The area which I'm thinking of using this mulch is a plant bed in front of the
house.... the area is 6' by 25'.

According to their site, buying direct from them it would cost you
about $150 plus shipping to do that area 1 1/2" thick. Seems *really*
expensive to me for something that;
Can't be tilled in when I change the design. . .
.. . . adds no nutrients to the soil
.. . . is unproven as to color stability-- and that could look pretty
ugly in a couple years

-snip-
So despite the fact that on a hot zone 8 day (temperatures of 105'),

.. . . does nothing to cool the beds on a hot day . [further north, the
heat holding capacity of rubber might be a plus. Zone 8 I think
you're more likely to benefit more from a cool mulch]

the front yard
yard may smell like a car tire.... and that I will not be able to turn over this bed
again....... Are there any downsides to using this product under these circumstances??

Thanks !!!

http://www.rubberificmulch.com/

I'm still intrigued though--- I hope my neighbor tries it out.g

Jim

Old 01-04-2004, 06:47 PM
Hal

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 06:32:01 -0500, Peter wrote:

So despite the fact that on a hot zone 8 day (temperatures of 105'), the front yard
yard may smell like a car tire.... and that I will not be able to turn over this bed
again....... Are there any downsides to using this product under these circumstances??

The price?? I can buy wood chips $10 a pickup (I haul) load or $100
a dump truck load delivered. That adds to my land and has to be done
3" or more thick once a year or weeds take over. I'm not sure if 2"
of Rubber Stuff Mulch would be effective or if it would take more. I
am curious as to how it would work around my lantana bed that grows
over everything, and I'm not telling my wife about the colors yet.

http://www.americanrubber.com/
RubberStuff® Mulch

$11.75 Bag

Covers 7.5 Square Feet 2" Depth
Aprox Wt 30 Lbs, Size 1.15 Cubic Feet

Ton Pallet $695.00 SAVE $80.50!
(covers 500 sq. ft. @ 2" depth)
Aprox Wt One Ton, 66 bags

Regards,

Hal

Old 01-04-2004, 06:47 PM
paghat

In article , "Frank Logullo"
wrote:

Peter wrote in message ...
[...]

Which would include the USDA -- independent studies (as opposed to vendor
display "studies") have found that rubber mulch leaches sufficient zinc to
kill all of a garden's perennials & annuals & to damage shrubs. It is
unsafe to use anywhere near gardens. Period. But as a waste product
impossible to recycle into future tires, the only desire here is not good
landscaping & gardening practice, but good profits turning a waste product
into profits. Such ******s really don't care about the environment as long
as they can laugh on the way to the bank.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Rubber Mulch!! Vox Humana Gardening 31 31-12-2004 01:10 PM
Toxic Rubber Mulch paghat Gardening 4 09-06-2004 10:56 AM
Toxic Rubber Mulch paghat Gardening 0 08-06-2004 03:57 PM
Rubber Mulch ??? Peter Gardening 0 01-04-2004 06:46 PM
Rubber mulch (example: Rubberific) Ed Greenwood Gardening 0 24-03-2003 06:32 PM