Old 01-03-2003, 06:51 AM
Cindy

Default Newbie question about shade

I live in an area that is loaded with shade. I live in the city on a high
traffic road. The trees can't go. The only sunny spots are in the front, on
the hill next to the road. Isn't there *any* way I can grow something? My
backyard, where I want to grow things, has only spotty sunlight that moves
throughout the day. There isn't a spot that has full sun, period. Are there
any suggestions on what I can do, outside of using a community garden? The
community garden is out.

I truly hope someone has some good suggestions.

TIA!

Cindy

Old 01-03-2003, 12:03 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Cindy said:

I live in an area that is loaded with shade. I live in the city on a high
traffic road. The trees can't go. The only sunny spots are in the front, on
the hill next to the road. Isn't there *any* way I can grow something? My
backyard, where I want to grow things, has only spotty sunlight that moves
throughout the day. There isn't a spot that has full sun, period. Are there
any suggestions on what I can do, outside of using a community garden? The
community garden is out.

1) Terrace the hill and plant there. Tomatoes, peppers, okra and eggplants
can be rather ornamental. I remember a garden planted between the front
porch and the sidewalk in a tiny urban garden (the only sunny, southern
exposure).

2) Limb up and/or thin the tree canopy as much as reasonably possible.
Some edibles that can take part-shade are leeks, green onions, non-heading
greens, and even (given just a bit of light) bush beans. Currants, gooseberries,
raspberries and blackberries are fruits that can take some shade.

3) If you are at home all day (or can return during the day), plant in containers
and move them around to the sunniest spots in the back yard.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 01-03-2003, 02:03 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003 01:51:24 -0500, "Cindy"
wrote:

I live in an area that is loaded with shade. I live in the city on a high
traffic road. The trees can't go. The only sunny spots are in the front, on
the hill next to the road. Isn't there *any* way I can grow something? My
backyard, where I want to grow things, has only spotty sunlight that moves
throughout the day. There isn't a spot that has full sun, period. Are there
any suggestions on what I can do, outside of using a community garden? The
community garden is out.

I truly hope someone has some good suggestions.

Have you a spot for container gardening? Maybe at the top
of the hill?

Last summer, we grew the following in containers:

various lettuces
green peppers
bok choy
collard greens
cherry tomato
beets
basil

I could have grown a lot more in containers, but I'm
fortunate to also have a reasonable amount of flat sunny
space for an in-ground garden.

The container gardening was VERY successful and very easy to
maintain, I'll grow more things in containers this year.

Pat
--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/
Old 01-03-2003, 03:15 PM
Tim B

For vegetables ... you can always pick the sunniest convenient spot, and
plant a small experimental plot this year, with some of your favorites, and
see how it goes. You might not get a tremendous yield, but chances are it
would produce something, and then you'd know what your results may be.
I've had good yield of beans and vine crops in a small shady plot hacked out
of the woods. Your Mileage My Vary. It depends on the amount of available
light coming through, the amount of ambient light, the crops you grow, the
climate zone you're in, and the weather. If you can reduce the overhead
canopy somewhat you'll get more light, as someone else already recommended.
If you want tomatoes you might invest in red plastic mulch, to reflect as
much back to the plant as possible. You can try it .... and be sure to
report back to the newsgroup in the fall.

. ..

Old 01-03-2003, 10:03 PM
Minteeleaf

wrote:

[...]

Pat, what containers did you grow the lettuces in?
How deep, how wide? How many times a day did you water,
& what varieties?

I know you had a success story with this, & I'd really like to know.
DH is a salad lover.

Thanks for input.
Minteeleaf

Old 02-03-2003, 12:15 AM
Pat Meadows

On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 17:03:56 -0500, Minteeleaf
wrote:

Pat, what containers did you grow the lettuces in?
How deep, how wide? How many times a day did you water,
& what varieties?

We had a stroke of really good luck and found a huge pile of
big black plant pots at a dumpster - not pretty ones,
functional ones. We had lots for ourselves, plus enough to
share with a gardening friend here. There are two sizes:
large and VERY large. I used them.

The larger ones are probably about two feet deep and about
18" in diameter. I don't think you need most of that depth
though, especially not for lettuce. I put pieces of window
screen over the holes so the soil wouldn't wash out (I
always do that with potted plants). That way, you don't
need rocks in the bottom.

In the absence of finding containers, I think I'd use
5-gallon buckets if I had any, or laundry baskets lined with
a trash bag. Laundry baskets lined with a trash bag should
work pretty well. Storage containers (if cheap or if you
already have them) will also work well. Anything really.
For lettuce, you should be able to use much smaller pots.
I think even a gallon-milk jug (bottom half thereof) would
grow leaf lettuce OK.

We are also able to buy a pick-up truckload of
spent-mushroom-soil very economically and I used that to
fill the containers. It's great for container gardening -
light and fluffy and all the plants thrived, almost beyond
belief - everything did extremely well in it.

If you are having a sizeable container garden, I'd think
(unless you can find mushroom soil or something similar)
that the cheapest way to fill the pots would be to buy 40-lb
bags of top soil, and mix it about equally with peat moss
and sand to lighten it up. If you buy potting soil, you'll
go broke, besides potting soil alone is too heavy for
containers, IMHO. You can buy a big compressed bag of peat
moss pretty cheaply at garden centers and sand is cheap.
The 40-lb bags of top soil are pretty reasonable too.

I didn't need any fertilizer because the mushroom soil is
very like composted manure (has a lot of composted manure in
it), but with the sand/moss/top soil mix, you'd probably
need to feed your plants occasionally. I think any balanced
plant food (or even manure tea) would work. Miracle Grow
isn't organic, but it is cheap and it works.

I watered the pots every day (after things had grown a
little)- but it was easy, easy. There's an outdoor tap on
the deck, so I just used the hose to water. I bought a
watering wand, to attach to the hose end, so I could put the
water exactly where I wanted it. The watering wand is well
worth the money (about $5.99, IIRC).

Watering once a day was fine except for the Yellow Pear
cherry tomato. It grew to be a HUGE plant and required
watering three times a day in its black pot so we took a
large Rubbermaid storage container (22 gallons) and punched
holes in the bottom and transplanted the tomato plant - by
then about 5 feet tall - to the Rubbermaid container. We
had a tomato cage stuck in the container, for support. Then
it was OK. (I hadn't intended to grow the Yellow Pear
tomato in a container, it just sort of happened.)

Varieties - I didn't keep track last year (I will this
year).

I'll tell you what I remember though...Peppers - we bought
little plants, there were green peppers plus hot peppers,
variety unknown. I grew Black-Seeded Simpson lettuce, also
Tom Thumb (baby Boston-type), also a romaine. Bok choy:
bought the seeds at Agway, they just said 'bok choy'.
Beets: I think they were Early Wonder. Basil - bought it
as a plant.

Swiss Chard - the variety was Fordhook Giant. The Swiss
chard, even growing in a pot, btw, stayed happy and
productive until the temperature hit 12 F in November.

I pulled the lettuce out of direct sun into the shaded part
of the deck (part of our deck is roofed) on the hottest
days. During hot spells, I just left it there in the shade
for several days at a time. It did quite well like this.

Otherwise, the answer for lettuce, IMHO, is succession
plantings each week during spring and again in August for
fall growing - but not in mid-summer. It doesn't like
really hot weather.

You can plant lettuce around things: around beets, for
instance. A beet seed encircled by lettuce seeds. This
makes a good use of the space. I'll also do this with
carrots and lettuce this year. And of course, you can eat
beet green thinnings - they're the best green of all, IMHO.

Mintee, if you can get hold of a library book entitled
'Square Foot Gardening' by Mel Bartholomew, a lot of his
ideas are adaptable to container gardening. You can space
things VERY closely in containers, because they're having
such ideal conditions. There's a website too:

http://www.squarefootgardening.com

I found that cabbage moths did find the plants in containers
and they ate the collards and some of the bok choy (we'd
already had a lot of the bok choy ourselves). This year,
I've bought floating row cover (Reemay) and I'll cover my
cabbage family plants with this in an attempt to foil the
cabbage moths. I bought it at either Gardens Alive or
Mellingers, I can't remember which. (URLs are the obvious
ones in each case.) I had no other insect pests at all in
the container garden.

That's about it, I think. Have fun with it!

Ooops, I see now that you were specifically asking about
lettuce - well ... you'll probably have more info here than
you wanted... 'cause I've written about other things too.
Oh well. Better too much info than too little.

Pat

Old 02-03-2003, 02:51 PM
Minteeleaf

wrote:

Pat, what containers did you grow the lettuces in?
How deep, how wide? How many times a day did you water,
& what varieties?

We had a stroke of really good luck and found a huge pile of
big black plant pots at a dumpster - not pretty ones,
functional ones. We had lots for ourselves, plus enough to
share with a gardening friend here. There are two sizes:
large and VERY large. I used them.

snip

Thanks, Pat. I have a lot of lettuce seed, so I'll try it.
I've grown a number of things in containers, but wasn't sure
about lettuces. Your info is useful.

I still wish I had had a great find like your containers.
You really got a blessing there.

Minteeleaf
Old 02-03-2003, 03:15 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sun, 02 Mar 2003 09:39:53 -0500, Minteeleaf
wrote:

Thanks, Pat. I have a lot of lettuce seed, so I'll try it.
I've grown a number of things in containers, but wasn't sure
about lettuces. Your info is useful.

I'm sure your greatest problem - where you live - will be
heat. If you get it planted very early and again very late,
you should be able to have lovely lettuce. It's a treat
too, I really enjoyed it last summer: nice fresh salad each
day! With basil and green peppers and cukes and tomatoes
(later in the season) - all from the garden.

I still wish I had had a great find like your containers.
You really got a blessing there.

We sure did.

You know, I've seen pictures of lettuce growing (under
lights) in a refrigerator drawer: you know, the bottom
drawers in a fridge.

This wouldn't work well outside because it should have
drainage holes, but I bet you could grow lettuce nicely in a
plastic sweater box or other storage container if you drill
holes in it first.

It hasn't got a lot of roots, so it doesn't need a
significant depth of soil.

Pat
Old 03-03-2003, 12:27 AM
pgh

No, I don't have any suggestion, being a novice in this business.
I was just perusing gardening books in the local Barnes & Noble,
and found a few titles that might be of interest to you:

(Better Homes and Gardens)
step-by-step shade gardens, Patricia A. Taylor

(Sunset)
Gardening with Shade: Ideas for Planning & Planting, Editors of Sunset Books

(Ortho's All About)
Shade Gardening, Jo Kellum

(Taylor's Guide to)
Shade Gardening, Frances Tenenbaum (Editor)

I don't know if these are any good, but at least you can go to Amazon.com
and read the reviews there. Or hang out here for a little while and maybe the
inhabitants of this newsgroup will care to comment.

Best luck.

Old 03-03-2003, 11:27 AM
Cindy

[...]

I was kind of thinking about trying a few various things and seeing what
works. I like the container idea Pat had, but we're not here during the day.
I don't like putting anything next to the road because it's a high traffic
road and you won't *believe* the litter folks thoughtlessly throw out in MY
yard! It's very disheartening really.

I'd really like to have a community garden but there aren't any close by
where I could conveniently go and work in it. I would just go every now and
then and that's simply not enough.

Anyhow, thanks to all for the ideas and if there are any further ideas...
I'm all ears.

Cindy

Old 06-03-2003, 03:39 AM
Timber

Are you home in the sunlight hours?
I have seen people plant entire gardens on wheels for just this reason.

Perhaps the trees can't go as you wish to keep them for the noise barrier
but is there any reason you can not replace them with a taller more slender
tree? More and more people are starting to plant bamboo trees (okay so it's
more like a grass that gets REAL TALL) for just this reason. They grow
thick and dense, yet straight up. I don't know how serious you are about
gardening, but my neighbor loves walnut trees and planted them so dense he
had to move his garden to the roof of his house. He was a carpenter and
added some real nice looking systems up there bordered with rain gutters and
heavy duty plastic under the plants to force the excess water to run into
the gutter systems back down to the ground. It's almost English Cottage
looking in the summer because his roof is ablaze with plants. Not my cup of
tea but it does look nice not cluttered.

Timber
www.timberslodge.net
....a Step Through Time

. ..

Old 06-03-2003, 04:15 AM
Minteeleaf

Timber wrote:

Are you home in the sunlight hours?
I have seen people plant entire gardens on wheels for just this reason.

Can you describe this thoroughly please?
What containers, what plants, how did it work?

Minteeleaf
Old 06-03-2003, 06:40 AM
Timber

The containers on wheels?

They are easy, you simply take the raised bed principle, build supporting
decks, add commercial casters with locking wheels (I have seen these at the
local hardware store for around $5.00 each some as costly as $25. I guess
it would depend upon the weight and size of the overall bed). Add a lighter
weight soil base and poof, you have a container garden which moves around on
wheels. If you are going to do this I would suggest you also put in a metal
clamp type bracket on one end of the decking and fashion a pulling handle
out of anything. Though Many don't as you have the raised bed to perform
this function. I simply placed large U-bolts onto mine as I made them with
Pond Liner. If you are going to do this keep in mind it's not normal soil
and the water has to go somewhere. Thus, I cut into the pond liner small
holes (one every two feet) and obtained pond specific drain plumbing
parts--this way I can unscrew the cap and allow any extra water on the
bottom to drain out. You seal it with a special liner silicone glue which
is available in the same isle as the liner. I might suggest you attach a
small chain to the cap and secure the chain to the support decking as I lost
several caps and they can be difficult to find.

I have seen many configurations of these put together but I don't think that
a wood base would give the durability to last for many more than two or
three seasons without much work. A friend of mine made them out of acrylic
sheets and has used these for nearly ten years but he makes large Aquarium
so the cost is a little lower for him and he knows how to brace the acrylic
sheets properly---I don't. I have even seen people raise corn in moving
container systems which support four rows of corn.

I myself don't need a system like this but did experiment with a heavy duty
pond liner which I applied over a wood frame attached to a castered base.
In this I raised tomato plants for a single season. I do however make
planters out of the pond liners which I fill with flowers. If you have seen
those 'flowering pouches' you will know what I mean. These I string over
trestles and Sun Patio roofing systems, cut holes into the liner and plant
trailing flowers from them. This allows for an entire 'roof' as it were
filled with cascading flowers everywhere. The neat thing about Pond Liner
is that it is built to take the abuse and weight you are putting it through.
Not to mention the ability to sculpt it into what ever shape you may desire.
As with anything it's only limitations are your imagination. Keep in mind
that I would not suggest being frugal and purchasing the thinner pond liner,
spend the few extra dollars and purchase a thicker liner.

Timber
www.timberslodge.net
....a Step Through Time

Old 06-03-2003, 07:05 AM
Timber

If you wanted to know about the roof system, I can tell you it's very
interesting!
He built rows of wood planters (he has wood tiles not fiberglass or pottery
tiles for shingles) He gives them a good sealing each spring.

I would suggest you check with an architect first for weight limitations on
your roof prior to thinking about this as it would be a very sad day when
your roof garden comes crashing down on your house! He had to install
additional bracing in his attic due to the additional weight.

Following his roof lines he built rows much like a staircase with walking
area's in between each row. 6" above the roof he built metal decks and
angled them the same slope of his roof. To this metal deck he attached on
the lower end, rain gutters which all drain on a specific side and attached
these into his existing gutter system.

On top of his metal decks he built wood supports I just called him and he
said these sit only 2" above the metal deck. This is where he built his
wood planters. He staggered the sizes, the ones closest to the ground are
only 6" tall by 12" wide. He grows lettuce and radishes in the more shallow
ones. He graduated the sizes 6" for each row adding 2" of width for each 6"
in height. The top row (tallest point of his roof) is only 2.5' tall--in
this he plants his melons and takes care to keep these pruned. Also the top
row of his north side he plants corn but he says it doesn't do very well as
it only supports 2 rows of corn staggered in the same container.

He says this year he is going to install a misting system for watering but
in the past he has drug a hose around. Due to his time required up on his
roof, he broke down last season and built a deck for entertaining. This is
the same height as the lowest end of his roof. A barbeque deck below the
upper deck (which his wife calls her tanning deck). The lower deck is in
full shade and is very nice to see! If only I had his talent for
building-----but I don't!

He wants to warn anyone thinking about doing this that the roof system cost
him his retirement funds. Though it did give him the additional 6,000
square feet of garden space if he covered his entire roof but he has only
done the back half of the house. Also he ran into some zoning issues with
the city and all us neighbors had to sign a letter for the city for him to
be able to do it.

He plants anything he can get his hands on but says the best plants are
plants which don't require more than one row for correct pollination,
Beets, carrots, radish, lettuce, cabbage, peppers, egg plant---anything he
doesn't have to stake as he hasn't come up with an artful way to support
these without looking trashy.