Old 27-05-2003, 03:56 AM
SIgnots

Default Bindweed

Anything new since last spring on the best way to eradicate bindweed? Steve
Old 27-05-2003, 07:32 AM
Opinicus

Jennifer from Colorado said:

Darn neighbor actually *likes*
the stuff, so she lets it creep all over the fence. Sigh...

Isn't "Blue Bindweed" another name for "Morning Glory"?

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

Old 27-05-2003, 11:08 AM
GrampysGurl

Anything new since last spring on the best way to eradicate bindweed? Steve

Pull and pray!!!! Year 3 for me and shhh don't tell the bindweed but it looks
like I am winning., I figure by the time I am ready to retire (I'm 37) I'll
beat it. Sad part is that it is a pretty flower but not a well behaved one at
all.
Old 27-05-2003, 11:08 AM
GrampysGurl

Darn neighbor actually *likes*
the stuff, so she lets it creep all over the fence. Sigh...

Jennifer from Colorado

Give her morning glory seeds and tell her to get over it lol. I "like" it too,
but I don't want it intertwined in the roots of my hundreds if not thousands of
plants I paid a lot of money for. Darn birds gave me the bind weed for free.

Old 27-05-2003, 11:08 AM
GrampysGurl

e. Sigh...

Isn't "Blue Bindweed" another name for "Morning Glory"?

--
Bob

I am pretty sure bind weed is a morning glory, but they grow on underground
runners, the morning glories I plant from seed do not.
Old 27-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Iris Cohen

Anything new since last spring on the best way to eradicate bindweed?

The watchword is persistence. I got rid of mine after a few years. You have to
pull it up by the roots as much as possible every time you see it. I heard that
a famous garden in England put stakes in the flower beds for it to climb on,
then sprayed the tops with weedkiller without touching the other plants.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 27-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Doug Kanter

"SIgnots" wrote in message
Anything new since last spring on the best way to eradicate bindweed?

Steve

What others have said here is about as good as it gets. According to the
Cornell cooperative extension people, there *are* chemicals that'll kill
bindweed, but only if you don't want to live on the property for 20 years
afterward.

In flower/vegetable beds, wait for the day after a good rain. Without
gloves, reach down as far as you can and gently pull out bindweed roots as
much as possible. If you feel the root heading in a certain direction, you
can help it out by loosening the soil in that direction with your other
hand, or a trowel.

If the stuff has twisted around a plant and you want to get rid of it, clip
the stem at the soil level and wait a week. In dry weather, it'll get
crispy, and be much easier to remove than the live vine.

Old 29-05-2003, 09:20 AM
Fleemo

Why is Bindweed so widely despised? I have some growing in my garden
right now and thought it a lovely flower, so I left it. Was that a
big mistake?

-Fleemo

Old 29-05-2003, 11:32 AM
LAH

"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...
Why is Bindweed so widely despised? I have some growing in my garden
right now and thought it a lovely flower, so I left it. Was that a
big mistake?

-Fleemo

You might be interested in reading this. I copied it from a legal
publication from Sumner County but it applies to the whole state of Kansas.
I don't know what the law is concerning field bindweed in other states or
countries. I also don't know if there are other varieties of bindweed other
than field bindweed and how invasive they may or may not be.

In Kansas, you can get advice on control and purchase chemical weed killers
at a reduced cost at your county noxious weed department. They are licensed
to sell these products for NOXIOUS WEED CONTROL ONLY. Again I don't know
what other states do.

After reading the legal publication you might want to go to
http://www.accesskansas.org/kda/Plan...-pestmangement
-bindweed.htm for more information about control. In this article it
states that the root system of field bindweed extends to a depth of 20 to 30
feet. I imagine that trying pull it out, roots and all, would be rather
difficult. Well actually I can imagine as I have tried and quickly realized
how futile it was -- particularly when faced with the large size of my
particular affected area.

LEGAL PUBLICATION

GENERAL NOTICE TO CONTROL NOXIOUS WEEDS
The Kansas Noxious Weed Law K.S.A. 2-1314 et seq requires all persons who
own or supervise land in Kansas to control and eradicate all weeds declared
noxious by legislative action. The weeds declared noxious a field
bindweed, musk thistle, sericea lespedeza, johnsongrass, bur ragweed, Canada
thistle, leafy spurge, hoary cress, quack grass, russian knapweed, kudzu and
pignut.

Notice is hereby given pursuant to the Kansas Noxious Weed Law to every
person who owns or supervises land in Sumner County that noxious weeds
growing or found on such land shall be controlled and eradicated. control is
defined as preventing the production of viable seed and the vegetative
spread of the plant.

Failure to observe this notice may result in the County:

Serving a legal notice requiring control of the noxious weeds within a
minimum of five days. Failure to control the noxious weeds within the time
period allowed may result in the county treating the noxious weeds at the
landowners expense and placing a lien on the property if the bill is not
paid within 30 days or,
Filing criminal charges for non-compliance. Conviction for non-compliance
may resale in a fine of $100.00 per day for non-compliance with a maximum of
$1500.00.
The public is also hereby notified that it is a violation of the Kansas
Noxious Weed Law to barter, sell or give away infested nursery stock or
livestock feed unless the feed is fed on the farm where grown or sold to a
commercial processor that will destroy the viability of the noxious weed
seed. Custom harvesting machines must be labeled with a label provided by
the Kansas Dept. of Agriculture and must be free of all weed seed and litter
when entering the State and when leaving a field infested with noxious
weeds. Additional information may be obtained from the Sumner County Noxious
Weed Department or by contacting the Kansas Dept. of Agriculture, 109 S.W.
9th, Topeka, KS, 66612

Old 29-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Doug Kanter

"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...
Why is Bindweed so widely despised? I have some growing in my garden
right now and thought it a lovely flower, so I left it. Was that a
big mistake?

-Fleemo

As others have said, it can overwhelm your plants. It twists around vertical
objects tightly, to the point where removing the weed is either impossible,
or takes forever.

On the other hand, the stuff coexists nicely in my lawn. By mid-summer, when
the grass is either struggling, or brown, I still have a nice, soft carpet
of bindweed to walk on. Every 2-3 weeks, I slice 12" down around the edges
of my beds to (in my imagination) cut the spreading roots of the weed. And,
a yank whatever's already in the beds.

My other option would be to treat the whole area chemically, but for some
reason, my son was elected "king of the street" about 7 years ago, so all
the kids play on my lawn. I prefer weeds, and healthy kids.