Old 28-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Good Golly

Default garden edges

Hope I am posting to the correct group.

New single home owner--condo's don't need edging!

I am looking for something to create a nice edge, both around
the many flower beds and along the driveway. I'm don't thing I am
ready to buy and big electric machine--but may consider
something like the two I have copied from TV shopping
shows. I've never bought from them--so two firsts!
$21.95
1. Edge Ripper Heavy Duty Lawn Edger--Simply step down, and move back and
forth
With its steel construction and powder-coated finish, the Edge Ripper is
built to last! Measures approximately 39"L x 12"W.

$9.95
2. Improvements 43" Rolling Lawn Edger --Measures approx. 43"L
Cutting wheel measures approx. 6" diameter
Made of metal and heavy duty plastic for easy clean-up and care
Since it's human powered and doesn't need gas or electric, you're always
ready to take care of your sidewalks, driveways, patios and more anywhere

OPEN FOR ANY OPINIONS--or suggestions for other products!

thanks , Maureen

Old 28-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Frogleg

On Wed, 28 May 2003 00:32:15 GMT, "Good Golly"
wrote:

I am looking for something to create a nice edge, both around
the many flower beds and along the driveway. I'm don't thing I am
ready to buy and big electric machine--but may consider
something like the two I have copied from TV shopping
shows. I've never bought from them--so two firsts!
$21.95
1. Edge Ripper Heavy Duty Lawn Edger-
$9.95
2. Improvements 43" Rolling Lawn Edger --Measures approx. 43"L
Cutting wheel measures approx. 6" diameter

I have a Bigfoot (apparently no longer manufactured/sold) tool that's
a sort of foot-shaped board on a handle with about a 10" x 4" blade
projecting from the bottom., and it's *terrific*. No noise, no fuel,
and very little effort. The edge-ripper looked very similar in
concept. You just position it, step on it, and Bigfoot cuts through
sod, roots and dirt for a very clean edge. Couldn't find a photo of
the Rolling Lawn Edger, but I had something that sounds similar, and I
was all purple in the face after ramming it through about 18" of
sidewalk edge.
Old 28-05-2003, 12:32 PM
David J Bockman

If you have a long, long way to go, consider renting a mechanical edger. It
sets a perfect edge, the turf side is vertical and the mulch side is 45
degrees. It takes a little muscle but far less than hand edging with a turf
spade or tree spade. Once the edge is created, maintaining it later either
with a string trimmer (weed-eater) or the occassional cutting-in with a tree
spade is all you need.

Dave

Old 29-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Doug Kanter

Although you probably want a special tool for the job, you'll still want a
good spade (the flat shovel), and a flat file to sharpen it often. Stainless
steel spades are pretty, but it's much harder to touch up the edge when it
needs it. You'd be amazed what you can do with a well-maintained spade and a
pair of work shoes with thick soles.

Old 29-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Tim B

True. One of the fun things about gardening is that you can do it as well
with minimal expense.

.net...

Old 29-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Kevin Miller

Amen

Old 29-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Vox Humana

wrote:

[...]

I use a sod lifter from Lee Valley Tools
http://makeashorterlink.com/?I55112DB4 The primary function of the tool is
to remove sod, but you can also turn it perpendicular to the ground and use
it to cut an edge around your beds. The offset angle of the shaft and the
sharp blade make it perfectly suited for the task. It is a great tool for
removing sod when preparing new beds and eliminates the use of chemicals
such as Round-up. The sod can be moved to another area if needed.