Old 02-06-2003, 03:44 PM
EBG

Default Ferns in sun

Are there any ferns that can take full morning sun from 7am to noon and do
well?

Thanks

Old 02-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Pam

EBG wrote:

Are there any ferns that can take full morning sun from 7am to noon and do
well?

Thanks

Here in the PNW, pretty near any fern will tolerate modest direct sun (some
even full sun) provided they receive sufficient moisture. Our native sword
ferns are well adapted to our "full sun" and even drought conditions. Morning
sun is typically rather low in intensity - I'd go ahead and try it. Just give
them plenty of water.

pam - gardengal

Old 02-06-2003, 04:56 PM
EBG

Thanks...
You know another problem I have with this certain area is that I can get
standing water 2-3 inches there during heavy rains once or twice a Spring.

You think the ferns will be OK?

Old 02-06-2003, 05:44 PM
paghat

In article , "EBG"
wrote:

Are there any ferns that can take full morning sun from 7am to noon and do
well?

Thanks

Many ferns will tolerate a bit of sun but most won't look their best under
such conditions. For example, SOMEWHAT sun-tolerant if kept moist is
Wallich's wood fern (Dryopteris wallichiana), a large evergreen fern. So
too the Sword Fern (Polystichum munitum) doesn't prefer but often does
quite well in a degree of sunlight, I'm not sure if the ENTIRE morning
would be quite suited though.

There are some serious exceptions, however, notably the so-called "Jimmy
Fern" (I assume so-called because it has the same effect on animals who
eat it as would jimson weed), also called Wavy Cloak Fern or Star-scaled
Fern. This is Astrolepis sinuata, & it is from Southwest sage country,
often grows in full sun. A very pretty evergreen semi-desert fern, both
cold-hardy & heat-hardy. I have one doing well in a sharp-drainage sun
garden, & now that I know it's easy to grow here, I'll get more specimens
next time I see any offered locally. There's a broader world of
semi-desert & arid-alpine ferns than just this one, but that's the only
one I have direct experience with, haven't seen others offered
commercially.

There are also many sun-loving plants with fern-like leaves, such as
"Crispum" ornamental tansy. You get the general impression of a fern in a
full sun location, plus you get flowers.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 02-06-2003, 06:32 PM
GrampysGurl

I have one but honestly I couldn't tell you the variety, it is only about a
foot or so high and a lightish green, I pull it out of the rock wall we have
and transplant it..... I have some by the pond that gets direct sun from sun up
to about 4 or 5 PM and they do well without suplimental watering but the edge
of the pond stays damp always.

Old 02-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Penny Morgan

It depends on what zone you're in. Are you in the deep south or the north?
In the north, you could probably get away with just about any fern in
morning sun and afternoon shade. I am in zone 7b (NC) and have Boston Ferns
in direct sun until about 1:00 pm. I also have Holly Ferns, Japanese
Painted Ferns, and Soft Shield Ferns in sun for most of the morning without
any problems. Just make sure to keep them watered. If you're in a hotter
climate, I would recommend you talk with a local garden center or
cooperative extension in your area to find out what will survive those
conditions. The best answers usually come from local sources.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 02-06-2003, 11:56 PM

Osmunda regalis Royal Fern, Locust Leaf Fern

This is a different looking fern that can get large. Has a coarse foliage that
resembles a locust tree foliage. Pick a sunny wet area for this fern
and it can reach heights of 6 feet. It will actually grow in shallow water.

Sun, Wet Soil, 3-6 ft Tall, Zones 3-9
http://www.gardensoftheblueridge.com.../planting.html
look thru the list. Ingrid

"EBG" wrote:
Thanks...
You know another problem I have with this certain area is that I can get
standing water 2-3 inches there during heavy rains once or twice a Spring.

You think the ferns will be OK?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

[IMG] code is On

Just some ferns in the sun. - DSC_3742a.jpg joevan[_3_] Garden Photos 6 11-10-2010 07:01 AM
Sun without Sun. Erik Orchids 8 03-02-2006 09:51 PM
Silicon in Ferns and allies Martin Hodson Plant Science 6 13-11-2003 02:22 PM
staghorn ferns, feeding? mcameron, bill Gardening 4 06-03-2003 05:15 PM
While on the subject of ferns... o8TY Plant Science 0 18-02-2003 04:27 PM