Old 13-06-2003, 03:32 AM
BiG_Orange

Default Cut off Toe on Lawn Mower

I was out on site the other day doing some stuff and a woman called in for
her husband because her son shredded his toe in the lawn mower. Just a
reminder to all those taking the mower for granted.

P.S. The "son" was 23, although that does not make it any better, still nice
to know they didn't have an 8 year old out mowing.

Mike

Old 13-06-2003, 03:56 AM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Let that be a warning to all you dumb hillbillies out there!

You should consider wearing shoes when cutting the grass!!

Push mowers are bad enough but when you've got one of those new fangled
gasoline powered things, toes can start flying all over the place!!!!

So go and buy a pair of shoes instead another case of brews!!!!

Old 13-06-2003, 06:08 AM
madgardener

that sounds like someone has over ridden the safety shut off lever on the
lawn mower of which they all come equipted with................sheesh
Cereoid, they're not all dumb hillbillies, if you saw the slope that I have
to mow, you would feel naked with STEEL TOED SHOES....................I
don't know ANYONE who mows with bare feet unless they have a push mower that
isn't gas or electric. (I found out the reason they call themselves "hill
Billies" by the way, and what the color Orange has to do with it
too........it's amazing, all that stuff about William and the Scottish
connection and all..........
madgardener popping behind foliage to lurk again
. ..

Old 13-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Valkyrie

Had a neighbor in Seattle who had a very steep sweep of front lawn, He'd
tie a rope on the handle of the mower, wrapped a few times around the lever
to keep the thing running and pull it up and down the slope while standing
on top. Looked like an enormous amount of work to me. I happened to be
watching the day the rope broke and this mower went careening down the slope
and launched its self through the large side window of another neighbor's
fancy family van. That's when the neighborhood divided into to two groups,
the mower guy & family and the van guy & family were simultaneously
screaming and crying in group one, the rest of us were just about peeing
ourselves laughing while trying ( not very hard) to be concerned. I had, at
the first time seeing this maneuver, suggested to this duffus to mow from
side to side instead of up and down or just plant the whole useless sweep of
grassy hillside in terraced ground cover. After 'the incident' he mowed from
side to side, still not an easy task and then finally just took out the
grass, terraced it with some railroad ties and then planted it with
groundcover. Insurance took care of the van but the van owner never parked
his vehicles on the street again anyway.

Val

Old 14-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Storm

Had a friend who slipped on a slight downhill grade.
His foot went under the mower and the blade grazed the top of his foot.
Didnt break the skin, but, sheered off the top of his boot, and gave him a
nasty bruise.
Went to the hospital...an infection set in under the skin. 2 weeks in the
hospital, antibiotics at first didnt work, had surgery to drain the
infection, then the infection traveled up his leg.....they were within an
hour of amputating his leg at the knee.

Old 15-06-2003, 08:08 AM
Trevise

"BiG_Orange" @ wrote in message ...
I was out on site the other day doing some stuff and a woman called in for
her husband because her son shredded his toe in the lawn mower. Just a
reminder to all those taking the mower for granted.

P.S. The "son" was 23, although that does not make it any better, still

nice
to know they didn't have an 8 year old out mowing.

Mike

Reckon ol' nine-toes won't take that spinning blade for granted anymore...

Old 15-06-2003, 02:08 PM
BiG_Orange

"Trevise" wrote in message
. com...
"BiG_Orange" @ wrote in message

I was out on site the other day doing some stuff and a woman called in

for
her husband because her son shredded his toe in the lawn mower. Just a
reminder to all those taking the mower for granted.

P.S. The "son" was 23, although that does not make it any better, still

nice
to know they didn't have an 8 year old out mowing.

Mike

Reckon ol' nine-toes won't take that spinning blade for granted anymore...

From what I understand tooth decay is not limited to the south as often
speculated by Yankees, nor is getting your tow cut off by a lawn mower.

Old 15-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Trevise

"BiG_Orange" @ wrote in message ...
"Trevise" wrote in message
. com...
"BiG_Orange" @ wrote in message

I was out on site the other day doing some stuff and a woman called in

for
her husband because her son shredded his toe in the lawn mower. Just a
reminder to all those taking the mower for granted.

P.S. The "son" was 23, although that does not make it any better,

still
nice
to know they didn't have an 8 year old out mowing.

Mike

Reckon ol' nine-toes won't take that spinning blade for granted

anymore...

From what I understand tooth decay is not limited to the south as often
speculated by Yankees, nor is getting your tow cut off by a lawn mower.

Yup, reckon yer right, but he didn't lose that thar digit from chewin' too
much backy...
;-)

Old 15-06-2003, 11:08 PM
GrampysGurl

So go and buy a pair of shoes instead another case of brews!!!!

Unless they are steel toe shoes aren't going to save your toes from a mower. No
matter how much of a troll you are.
Old 16-06-2003, 04:04 PM
Mike Lyle

"Howie" wrote in message ...
This sounds awfully defeating...

Reckon he'll toe the line in future. Unless it's one of those urban leg-ends.

Mike.

"BiG_Orange" @ wrote in message ...
I was out on site the other day doing some stuff and a woman called in for
her husband because her son shredded his toe in the lawn mower. Just a
reminder to all those taking the mower for granted.

P.S. The "son" was 23, although that does not make it any better, still

nice
to know they didn't have an 8 year old out mowing.

Mike

[IMG] code is On

Toe tappin' Billy[_10_] Gardening 0 25-01-2011 05:38 AM
cut off switch honda mower Bruce Lawns 3 04-10-2003 02:36 AM
And you thought cutting your toe off with a lawnmower was bad (enough is enough) R&V Childers Gardening 2 26-06-2003 01:44 AM
And you thought cutting your toe off with a lawnmower was bad Dave Fouchey Gardening 33 23-06-2003 04:08 AM