Old 20-06-2003, 08:38 AM
samuel l crowe

Default OT bird

I have a crazy bird!!!
There is a grayish colored bird that keeps banging into the window, he has
done this all summer three or four times a day he will bang into it every
few seconds for 15-20 minutes at a time, will light on the gutter for a rest
period and back at it again. He does this only on one window and only on the
same pane.

What would make a bird do such a crazy thing?

--
Sam
Along the Grand Strand of Myrtle Beach SC

Old 20-06-2003, 08:44 AM
Chrille

"samuel l crowe" skrev i meddelandet
I have a crazy bird!!!
There is a grayish colored bird that keeps banging into the window, he has
done this all summer three or four times a day he will bang into it every
few seconds for 15-20 minutes at a time, will light on the gutter for a

rest
period and back at it again. He does this only on one window and only on

the
same pane.

What would make a bird do such a crazy thing?

I've seen this behaviour before, and Iam sure of your fellow bird
see his own reflection, and think it is a rival. The problem is that
his rival never gives up..

/chrille

Old 20-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Pat Kiewicz

samuel l crowe said:

I have a crazy bird!!!
There is a grayish colored bird that keeps banging into the window, he has
done this all summer three or four times a day he will bang into it every
few seconds for 15-20 minutes at a time, will light on the gutter for a rest
period and back at it again. He does this only on one window and only on the
same pane.

What would make a bird do such a crazy thing?

As the other responder said, he thinks his reflection is a rival and neither one
of them will back down. You are getting off easy if it is only one pane in one
window. I know someone who had a redwing blackbird that followed the sun
around her house banging on different windows at different times of the day.

I've also had birds banging away at the side mirrors on my car.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 20-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Salty Thumb

"samuel l crowe" wrote in
:

I have a crazy bird!!!
There is a grayish colored bird that keeps banging into the window, he
has done this all summer three or four times a day he will bang into
it every few seconds for 15-20 minutes at a time, will light on the
gutter for a rest period and back at it again. He does this only on
one window and only on the same pane.

What would make a bird do such a crazy thing?

--
Sam
Along the Grand Strand of Myrtle Beach SC

Try sticking a picture of hawk in the window and see if it goes away. (Or
change the lighting).
Old 20-06-2003, 02:08 PM
animaux

It is probably a mocking bird and he is going after the "bird in the window
reflection" like it's an enemy on his territory.

We have about 20 species of birds in our garden throughout the day and they were
flying into our breakfast nook windows. We taped CD's to the inside of the
window with the holographic effect facing outward. It gave them some perception
that, the window was not a way to fly.

I know your mocking bird is not doing this accidentally, but if you put
something up which will prevent him from seeing his reflection, he will stop.
Mocking birds are on their second klutch around here. It will stop for sure
when his mating season is over.

Also go over to rec.birds which is dedicated to wild birds.

Old 20-06-2003, 04:08 PM
William McHarg

wrote:

I have a crazy bird!!!
There is a grayish colored bird that keeps banging into the window, he has
done this all summer three or four times a day he will bang into it every
few seconds for 15-20 minutes at a time, will light on the gutter for a rest
period and back at it again. He does this only on one window and only on the
same pane.

What would make a bird do such a crazy thing?

I had the same thing. Cover the window with something for a couple of
days. I just taped up some newspaper on the inside of the window. He
stopped, and never came back after I took the paper down.

Mac