Old 04-07-2003, 02:08 AM
Cindy

Default Climbing hydrangea

I have 2 fairly small but fast growing climbing hydrangeas. Both are about
18 inches high. I want to remove them from their current location and place
them else while they are still small enough to handle the transplant.

How big should I expect them to get?
Do they need support of a fence or trellis?
How far apart should I plant them?
What do they prefer in the way of sunlight?
When should I expect them to bloom for the first time?

I know its a lot of questions but I have never grown these before.

TIA

Cindy

Old 04-07-2003, 02:20 AM
veronica

"Cindy" wrote in message
. ..
I have 2 fairly small but fast growing climbing hydrangeas. Both are about
18 inches high. I want to remove them from their current location and

place
them else while they are still small enough to handle the transplant.

How big should I expect them to get?
Do they need support of a fence or trellis?
How far apart should I plant them?
What do they prefer in the way of sunlight?
When should I expect them to bloom for the first time?

I know its a lot of questions but I have never grown these before.

TIA

Cindy

Hi Cindy I have just one climbing Hydrangea and it is doing very well in

the shade which apparently it prefers. Shade - that is only about 2 - 3
hours of dappled sunlight. Mine is about 10 years old and bloomed about 3
years after I planted it. It is 12 feet high and about 5 -6 feet wide. I
did plant a trellis for support and have been told that they do require some
support or they may tumble down when you least expect it to. The first 6
feet of mine holds onto the trellis but the rest of it is still clinging to
the rough stucco of our house. I live in Vancouver so the growing season
allows more rapid growth than what I got in Edmonton when I had a garden
there. Good luck and I hope this helps. Jean

Old 04-07-2003, 03:56 AM
David J Bockman

Easy to transplant, slow to establish and become vigorous. Easily can make
30', I have seen them over 60'. They are climbers that would appreciate a
trellis or some sort of structure to help them over to whatever major
structure you're aiming for them to grow upon. Best used on east or north
exposure in adverse climates... but will grow well anywhere from full sun to
shade. A great (some say the best) vine!

Dave

. ..

Old 04-07-2003, 05:32 AM
Joe Morris

Hi,

Does the climbing hydrangea leaves turn an interesting color in fall?

Thanks,

Joe Morris

Please remove ZAP to email me.

"David J Bockman" wrote in message
Easy to transplant, slow to establish and become vigorous. Easily can make
30', I have seen them over 60'. They are climbers that would appreciate a
trellis or some sort of structure to help them over to whatever major
structure you're aiming for them to grow upon. Best used on east or north
exposure in adverse climates... but will grow well anywhere from full sun

shade. A great (some say the best) vine!

Dave

. ..

Old 04-07-2003, 02:20 PM
animaux

I have two. Hydrangea petiolaris and Schizophragma hydrangoides 'Moonlight.'
They have been in the ground for two years and have barely moved more than a
foot. I'm expecting next year will be the big leap. They say first year sleep,
second year creep, third year leap. We shall see. I give them a few more
seasons here, then they're up for grabs on the trade sector.

Old 04-07-2003, 06:56 PM
David J Bockman

It depends upon culture, but they have the potential for good fall color
absolutely. Mine had turned a bright yellow on a couple of occassions, not
unlike Ginkgo.

Dave

"Joe Morris" wrote in message
Hi,

Does the climbing hydrangea leaves turn an interesting color in fall?

Thanks,

Joe Morris

Please remove ZAP to email me.

"David J Bockman" wrote in message
Easy to transplant, slow to establish and become vigorous. Easily can

make
30', I have seen them over 60'. They are climbers that would appreciate

trellis or some sort of structure to help them over to whatever major
structure you're aiming for them to grow upon. Best used on east or

north
exposure in adverse climates... but will grow well anywhere from full

sun
shade. A great (some say the best) vine!

Dave

. ..

Old 05-07-2003, 10:44 AM
IntarsiaCo

When should I expect them to bloom for the first time?

They bloom on the lateral branches. Expect them to bloom when the branches are
about 30 inches long.