Old 08-05-2005, 10:15 PM
Mike

Default Climbing Hydrangea

According to the books, it is a vigorous grower, once it gets going. We have
one on the front North facing wall, and at long last, it has decided to grow
and flower. (Well the buds are there). 3 Years maybe?.

Question. We have a trellis for it to go up to about 7 or 8 feet, but, are
we correct in saying that once it pops its head over the trellis, it will
stick to the house without double sided sticky tape, but on its own ;-)) ?

Mike

Old 08-05-2005, 11:03 PM
Brian

"Mike" wrote in message

According to the books, it is a vigorous grower, once it gets going. We

have
one on the front North facing wall, and at long last, it has decided to

grow
and flower. (Well the buds are there). 3 Years maybe?.

Question. We have a trellis for it to go up to about 7 or 8 feet, but, are
we correct in saying that once it pops its head over the trellis, it will
stick to the house without double sided sticky tape, but on its own ;-))

?

Mike___________________________________

You are quite correct. It will cling very much like Ivy. It is
not really worth the time involved~ though I've had one for many years.
However there is a large NT house on the Devon/Cornwall border [can't
remember its name] with a specimen/variety that is exceptionally splendid~
with heads similar to H. macrophylla. I have never seen this elsewhere or
heard/read of it at all. Have never understood why!
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 09-05-2005, 09:48 AM

Brian wrote:
with a specimen/variety that is exceptionally splendid~
with heads similar to H. macrophylla. I have never seen this

elsewhere or
heard/read of it at all. Have never understood why!
Best Wishes Brian.

I thought that all climbing hydrangeas (hydrangea petiolaris) had
flowers like those of H. macrophylla? What am i missing?
And when you say they are not worth the time i disagree, i think they
are lovely to look at as well as having a fantastic scent.

Old 09-05-2005, 10:28 AM
Charlie Pridham

wrote in message
oups.com...

Brian wrote:
with a specimen/variety that is exceptionally splendid~
with heads similar to H. macrophylla. I have never seen this

elsewhere or
heard/read of it at all. Have never understood why!
Best Wishes Brian.

I thought that all climbing hydrangeas (hydrangea petiolaris) had
flowers like those of H. macrophylla? What am i missing?
And when you say they are not worth the time i disagree, i think they
are lovely to look at as well as having a fantastic scent.

There are lots of different climbing hydrangeas, some are deciduous some
evergreen, all have white (or nearly white) scented flowers and are self
clinging, all are fairly large plants and take several years to establish a
root system before growing. This can be speeded up by heavy watering when
newly planted.
Beware of planting near drains!
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 09-05-2005, 03:36 PM
spakker

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

Brian wrote:
with a specimen/variety that is exceptionally splendid~
all. Have never understood why!
Best Wishes Brian.

There are lots of different climbing hydrangeas, some are deciduous some
evergreen, all have white (or nearly white) scented flowers and are self
clinging, all are fairly large plants and take several years to establish

root system before growing. This can be speeded up by heavy watering when
newly planted.
Beware of planting near drains!
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

I got one last year (petiolaris) and potted it up into a bucket-the plant
grew well but this year its slo.o.o.w. Should it be in the ground? Did the
same with a seemannii which seems to at last be growing bigger .

Old 10-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Sacha

On 10/5/05 7:49, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond wrote in message

snip
Many thanks Sacha~~ I know Lanhydrock well and it was not there. It

was
Cotehele~~ has just come to me!!
The flowers were almost entirely sterile, compact and large. Put me off
my poor effort for life!!
Best Wishes Brian

Probably a Schizophragma

I think you've cracked it! That rings a loud bell. We have planted one in
a shaded corner of the house and it has been there two years. It's just
starting to get going.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 10-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Brian

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 10/5/05 7:49, in article

,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond wrote in message

snip
Many thanks Sacha~~ I know Lanhydrock well and it was not there. It

was
Cotehele~~ has just come to me!!
The flowers were almost entirely sterile, compact and large. Put me

off
my poor effort for life!!
Best Wishes Brian

Probably a Schizophragma

I think you've cracked it! That rings a loud bell. We have planted one

in
a shaded corner of the house and it has been there two years. It's just
starting to get going.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
_______________________________________
Thanks again but I fear not Schizophragma as so many of the individual

florets were sterile~~each of the heads was similar to a 'mophead'. It was
many years ago that I saw it~~I'm sure my memory hasn't failed me. It was an
important day for me otherwise.
A splendid pink Schizophragma climbs Barns House.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 11-05-2005, 11:04 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 10/5/05 7:49, in article

,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

[...]

I would be foolish to think I have seen every climbing hydrangea and reative
there is, but I am sure none have flowers as you discribe. so is it possible
someone has gone to the trouble of wall training an ordinary mop head?

Old 11-05-2005, 11:07 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 10/5/05 7:49, in article

,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond wrote in message

snip
Many thanks Sacha~~ I know Lanhydrock well and it was not there. It

was
Cotehele~~ has just come to me!!
The flowers were almost entirely sterile, compact and large. Put me

off
my poor effort for life!!
Best Wishes Brian

Probably a Schizophragma

I think you've cracked it! That rings a loud bell. We have planted one

in
a shaded corner of the house and it has been there two years. It's just
starting to get going.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Ours took a while too but is planted on the north side in rubbish, its been
flowering for a couple of seasons now. We have been trying to work out where
we could fit the other species (we have hydranoides) I have always quite
fancied the form 'Rosea' but have never found one for sale when I had money
in my pocket!!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Climbing hydrangea pruning Tiger303 United Kingdom 4 27-02-2006 10:04 AM
Climbing Hydrangea 'Petiolaris' Mike United Kingdom 8 06-07-2003 09:08 AM
Climbing hydrangea Cindy Gardening 6 05-07-2003 10:44 AM
Hydrangea petiolaris/Climbing Hydrangea pelirojaroja Gardening 2 21-04-2003 03:08 AM
Climbing Hydrangea Brs36 Gardening 5 08-04-2003 11:20 PM