Old 06-07-2003, 03:56 PM
Steve & Erin

Default rosemary

I have three rosemary plants in a pot that were started by see this spring.
I would like to keep this plant indefinitely. The plants are 6-8" high.
Should I cut it back now to encourage new growth and bigger root systems?
And when should I repot?

Thanks!
Erin

Old 06-07-2003, 06:44 PM
paghat

In article WHWNa.19153$Ix2.8887@rwcrnsc54, "Steve & Erin"
wrote:

I have three rosemary plants in a pot that were started by see this spring.
I would like to keep this plant indefinitely. The plants are 6-8" high.
Should I cut it back now to encourage new growth and bigger root systems?
And when should I repot?

Thanks!
Erin

Prune mainly for aesthetic shaping. It'll produce new growth whether you
prune or not. I wouldn't prune them when that small.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 06-07-2003, 07:08 PM
Phisherman

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 14:51:35 GMT, "Steve & Erin"
wrote:

I have three rosemary plants in a pot that were started by see this spring.
I would like to keep this plant indefinitely. The plants are 6-8" high.
Should I cut it back now to encourage new growth and bigger root systems?
And when should I repot?

Thanks!
Erin

Your plants are doing well. Trimming rosemary will help determine its
shape. Repot when the soil is worn out. My rosemary cuttings have
been showing new growth in a small yogurt cup for two months and they
are about 8" high. I'll probably report in a month. They need quick
drainage, and none or very little fertilizer.
Old 06-07-2003, 07:20 PM
V_coerulea

Leave the rosemarys alone until next spring. If you want to separate them,
do it in early spring before active growth resumes. Don't try to force them
to keep up active growth for the winter by giving more fertilizer. That's an
easy way to kill them. We grow them outdoors in the ground and in pots (zone
8, S Carolina). We protect them only if the prediction is for the temp to
drop below 20deg F. Actually we fudge with that figure and know they can
take 15 with few problems (some var are hardier than others). We also use
wood ashes to help counteract the acid soils we have. During their second
year, shape all you like as long as they're growing like wildfire.

"Steve & Erin" wrote in message
I have three rosemary plants in a pot that were started by see this

spring.
I would like to keep this plant indefinitely. The plants are 6-8" high.
Should I cut it back now to encourage new growth and bigger root systems?
And when should I repot?

Thanks!
Erin

[IMG] code is On

Rosemary problem CP Texas 4 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Ailing Rosemary Officianis RichardS United Kingdom 13 26-03-2003 11:08 AM
[IBC] Rosemary Claudio Fierro Bonsai 11 21-03-2003 02:56 PM
Rosemary mold/mildew? Jack Curry Edible Gardening 5 12-03-2003 03:56 PM
Planting new rosemary bush/shrub Anita Blanchard Gardening 1 04-02-2003 09:16 PM