Old 13-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Larry

Default lawn with violets

I have violets taking over my lawn. Any thought on how to stop this
would be appreciated.
Old 13-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Gloria Lenon

I have violets taking over my lawn. Any thought on how to stop this
would be appreciated.

If I had that problem, I'd be jumping for joy! They look so pretty!
Instead, here in Florida, we don't have any lawn violets, at least not in my
area on the west coast.

--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

Old 13-07-2003, 05:20 PM
Dave Fouchey

Gloria you actually have some native violets that will naturalize in
your lawn there. They are white for the most part with pretty heart
shaped leaves. Just have to keep your eyes open when out and about,
particularly around old home sites. Check out around those with lots
of live oaks in particular.

Dave

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 15:31:48 GMT, "Gloria Lenon"
wrote:

I have violets taking over my lawn. Any thought on how to stop this
would be appreciated.

If I had that problem, I'd be jumping for joy! They look so pretty!
Instead, here in Florida, we don't have any lawn violets, at least not in my
area on the west coast.

Dave Fouchey, WA4EMR
http://photos.yahoo.com/davefouchey
Southeastern Lower Michigan
42° 35' 20'' N,
82° 58' 37'' W
GMT Offset: -5
Time Zone: Eastern
Old 13-07-2003, 11:12 PM
David J Bockman

If I'm not mistaken violets thrive in compacted, poorly draining soil. You
should consider core aerating and amending yearly.

Dave

m...

Old 14-07-2003, 05:42 AM
Joe Morris

Larry,

I research this question a while back for my father-in-law. He had a big
violet problem in this lawn.
He claims that the approach outlined below worked for him.
Joe Morris
*************************************

There is only one herbicide that works on violets. It is called
tryclopyr. You can find it most commonly in ortho brush-b-gone, which
is sold in most hardware stores. Other products contain tryclopyr,
but brush-b-gone is the easiest to find.

Even using tryclopyr, violets are extremely difficult to control. In
order to do so, you need to do the following:

1. Violets can only be killed in the spring when they are growing
actively. In the summer they are harder to kill and in the fall they
are impossible to kill.

2. You need to use a combination of brush-b-gone and any other
standard weed killer such as ortho weed b gone or equivalent.

In a gallon of water, add the proper amount of weed b gone, and 8
ounces of brush-b gone.

3. Apply the solution when no rain will follow for at least 24 hours
and preferably 48 hours. Apply it in the early evening after the sun
has set to maximize the time that the foliage will stay wet. The
chemical is absorbed by the violets when the foliage is wet.

4. Apply the chemical, and then reapply it to the same area 7 days
later. You will see some dieback towards the end of the 7 days, but
the violets will not be dead. It takes a second application to finish
them off.

If you don't follow ALL of these instructions, you will not succeed in
killing the violets. As previous writers have said, they are
extremely difficult to get rid of.

m...

Old 14-07-2003, 06:32 PM
rosie readandpost

i'll take your violets, if you'll take my CREEPING CHARLIE!

--
read and post daily, it works!
rosie

never let yesterday use up too much of today.
...........................anonymous

Old 14-07-2003, 06:42 PM
paghat

In article , "rosie
readandpost" wrote:

i'll take your violets, if you'll take my CREEPING CHARLIE!

--
read and post daily, it works!
rosie

never let yesterday use up too much of today.
..........................anonymous

Went to a park in Tacoma yesterday & although the extensive lawns were
well-mowed, they were just chockfulla miniature daisy flowers (mixed in
with clover flowers). It reminded me that at the nearby cemetery their
turf has a gorgeous blue-violet sheen part of the year when the extensive
hillsides have some small flower blooming throughout, but I never went
into the place to see if I could guess what those flowers are. I'm not a
lawn fan at all (I even kinda think lawns are evil because they ecological
balance with one species), & I'm slowly replacing most of ours turf areas
with gardens & trails, but if I did want a lawn, I'd want one with as many
flowers as I could find that could be mowed & still flower greatly.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 14-07-2003, 07:12 PM
rosie readandpost

........................ but if I did want a lawn, I'd want one with as many
flowers as I could find that could be mowed & still flower greatly.

-paghat the ratgirl

i agree!
now, if i could just get the CREEPING CHARLIE to start flowering, i wouldn't be complaining!

Old 14-07-2003, 09:02 PM
LeeAnne

Oh, but they're soooo pretty!!!! We just let them grow, then they're gone
w/the first mow of the season.

I'm sorry you don't like them :-(

LeeAnne

m...

Old 14-07-2003, 10:22 PM
Sunny

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 16:19:47 GMT, "rosie readandpost"
wrote:

i'll take your violets, if you'll take my CREEPING CHARLIE!

I have both violets and creeping charlie running rampant through my
3-acre lawn.

I don't mind. I surrender. Resistance is futile. Besides, the flowers
are so pretty in spring, and the leaves are just the right color so
they match the grass. You don't even notice it unless you are walking
on the lawn, looking down.

I heard somewhere that 20-mule team boraxo is death on creeping
charlie, but I don't know the ratio of boraxo to water.

Old 14-07-2003, 10:42 PM
jrstark

rosie readandpost wrote:

........................ but if I did want a lawn, I'd want one with as many
flowers as I could find that could be mowed & still flower greatly.

-paghat the ratgirl

i agree!
now, if i could just get the CREEPING CHARLIE to start flowering, i wouldn't be complaining!

Ours is done flowering, it's a spring bloomer.

Janine

Old 17-07-2003, 11:52 PM
GrampysGurl

If you don't follow ALL of these instructions, you will not succeed in
killing the violets. As previous writers have said, they are
extremely difficult to get rid of.

I hand pull every day, I don't have a weed free garden by far but I pull a
little every day if it isn't raining hard. My other pain is creeping Charlie,
which comes under the fence from my neighbor... They also have a violet
problem.... I don't mind the violets in the spring when they bloom, I start
pulling once they are spent.
Colleen
zone 5 Connecticut
Old 17-07-2003, 11:52 PM
GrampysGurl

(I even kinda think lawns are evil because they ecological
balance with one species), & I'm slowly replacing most of ours turf areas
with gardens & trails, but if I did want a lawn, I'd want one with as many
flowers as I could find that could be mowed & still flower greatly.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

You are my long lost sister lol. We had a new sewer pip put in, and DH has me
out there watering the "evil grass seed" a couple times a day. I tried the....
"You know I am going to take over the front yard with a garden eventually why
don't you just let me have it now when it is grass free." line and that didn't
work lol
Colleen
zone 5 Connectifut

[IMG] code is On

violets in lawn Larry Lawns 3 14-07-2003 02:02 PM
African violets cc0058529 Gardening 3 24-03-2003 10:08 PM
multiple african violets in the same pot???? Ted Byers Gardening 3 09-03-2003 07:57 PM
best way to water African Violets Iris Cohen Gardening 5 06-03-2003 05:39 AM