Old 04-03-2003, 05:27 AM
jammer

Default Distilled water?

My striped dracaena is said to need distilled water. Can i boil and
cool water and use it? This is kind of an emergency as the leaves have
to be cut off now as it is. I want to repot it but have no water. Can
i boil and cool water and use that?
I thank you.
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 04-03-2003, 06:03 AM
B & J

"jammer" wrote in message
My striped dracaena is said to need distilled water. Can i boil and
cool water and use it? This is kind of an emergency as the leaves have
to be cut off now as it is. I want to repot it but have no water. Can
i boil and cool water and use that?
I thank you.
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

No, boiled water is not the same as distilled water. Distilled water has the
mineral contents removed, and ordinarily that is done by boiling and
collecting the condensed steam. If you don't have commercial distilled
water, use rain water of melted snow. I use rain water on my potted house
plants and seedlings with good results.

John

Old 04-03-2003, 07:04 AM
jammer

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 23:54:26 -0600, "B & J"
wrote:

No

*sigh*........ok, thank you.
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 04-03-2003, 12:27 PM
Tsu Dho Nimh

jammer wrote:

My striped dracaena is said to need distilled water. Can i boil and
cool water and use it? This is kind of an emergency as the leaves have
to be cut off now as it is. I want to repot it but have no water. Can
i boil and cool water and use that?

No ... that is just boiled tap water.

but who the heck told you it needs DISTILLED water?

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both
Old 04-03-2003, 02:27 PM
Iris Cohen

My striped dracaena is said to need distilled water.

I don't know why, unless you live in an area where the tap water is so
atrocious that you are drinking bottled water. Dracaenas are tough plants.

Can i boil and cool water and use it?

This would be exactly the opposite of distilled water. You would have more
dissolved salts, not less.

This is kind of an emergency as the leaves have to be cut off now as it is.

Why are you cutting off the leaves? If they are turning brown at the tips, the
cause may be something besides water quality.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 04-03-2003, 03:15 PM
Phisherman

On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 23:19:34 -0600, jammer wrote:

My striped dracaena is said to need distilled water. Can i boil and
cool water and use it? This is kind of an emergency as the leaves have
to be cut off now as it is. I want to repot it but have no water. Can
i boil and cool water and use that?
I thank you.
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

No. Boiling removes dissolved gases in water but does not remove
salts. Your dracanea would benefit from old aquarium water or rain
water. Dracaenas like humidity, bright light, constant (somewhat
cool) temperatures, and less water in winter.
Old 04-03-2003, 04:15 PM
Cereoid+10+

Maybe he was told that by some dude that sells distilled water?
There's big money to be made selling demineralized bottled water!!!

Old 05-03-2003, 04:03 AM
jammer

On Tue, 04 Mar 2003 04:54:25 -0700, Tsu Dho Nimh
wrote:

but who the heck told you it needs DISTILLED water?

I looked up the care of this plant. It said to use distilled or rain
water.

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 05-03-2003, 04:51 AM
Cereoid+10+

You didn't answer the question.

You looked it up where?

Old 05-03-2003, 02:27 PM
Frogleg

On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 23:19:34 -0600, jammer wrote:

My striped dracaena is said to need distilled water. Can i boil and
cool water and use it? This is kind of an emergency as the leaves have
to be cut off now as it is. I want to repot it but have no water. Can
i boil and cool water and use that?

No, as others have pointed out. If you have an old refrigerator that
needs to be "defrosted", that frost is also essentially distilled
water -- frozen condensation.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:51 PM
Snooze

The reason that it is recommended to water potted plants with distilled or
rain water, is to prevent the buildup of salts in the pot. In some areas,
the tap water has a lot of minerals disolved in the water, such as calcium
and magnesium. Over time this builds up in the pot, and changes the pH of
the soil.

Some plants are more sensitve then others to the changes, I'm not familar
with this plant, but I'm guessing it is sensitve the soil composition.
You'll also see that many books and websites recommend changing the potting
soil every few years, for the same reason.

In nature this isn't a problem, because rain water washes away the excess
buildup of salts. But indoor plants don't really experience much of nature.

Sameer

Old 06-03-2003, 12:39 AM
Zeuspaul

Bottled water that has been processed with reverse osmosis is mineral free
unless minerals have been added back for flavor. I get RO water at the
local water store for 25 cents per gallon.

Zeuspaul

Old 06-03-2003, 09:15 PM
Polar

On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 00:38:34 GMT, Zeuspaul
wrote:

Bottled water that has been processed with reverse osmosis is mineral free
unless minerals have been added back for flavor. I get RO water at the
local water store for 25 cents per gallon.

Is this for drinking or watering gard en?

If for drinking, and you get it from a dispenser, caveat! The filters
and general cleanliness at supermarket dispensers leave much to be
desired.

--
Polar