Old 15-07-2003, 07:52 PM
Tracey

Default Here's MY clematis question....

I probably could find this if I searched long enough,
but I'm a tad busy with trying to unpack. Do clematises
*require* a winter? Living in Hawaii, I've resigned
myself to not having certain plants/flowers (at least,
I've decided I'm not going through all of the hassle
and all of the space required to have them.) I've
checked out a lot of yards and I just don't recall
seeing any clematises around, which has me believing
they're one of those 'requires low temperatures for
at least X number of weeks' to bloom. Anyone know off
the top of their head?

Tracey

Old 16-07-2003, 03:32 AM
Tracey

Off the top of my head, I think the warmest Zone for
most clematis is Zone 9...

Bummer. Although, I probably should try and find a
more specific zonal map for Hawaii/Oahu. With the wild
climate variance here, maybe the area I'm in is actually
a 9 instead of a 10. Ya think???

Tracey

Old 16-07-2003, 07:24 AM
gregpresley

I'm pretty sure that the decidious kinds NEED a dormant period, which
probably means cooler temps and some dry time. Maybe not necessarily frost,
but consistent temps in the 30s or low 40s. (I think they grow them in SF
for instance, but I'm not sure). The evergreen kinds, like armandii would
probably do better in a frost free location, but again, I'm not sure - they
might need a "resting" period also.

Old 16-07-2003, 07:32 AM
Valkyrie

"Tracey" wrote in message
Off the top of my head, I think the warmest Zone for
most clematis is Zone 9...

Bummer. Although, I probably should try and find a
more specific zonal map for Hawaii/Oahu. With the wild
climate variance here, maybe the area I'm in is actually
a 9 instead of a 10. Ya think???

Tracey

When you get unpacked do a search. I put 'Clematis+Hawaii' into Google and
got quite a few hits and apparently there's a Clematis Society on the
Islands as well.

Val

Old 16-07-2003, 07:32 AM
Tracey

When you get unpacked do a search. I put
'Clematis+Hawaii' into Google and got quite
a few hits and apparently there's a Clematis
Society on the Islands as well.

Woohoo!!! Although, with my luck, it will be on
one of the other islands with higher elevations
than this one (thus, lower yearly temps.) I
won't wait until I unpack. I'm finding boxes I
haven't unpacked since 1986.

Tracey

Old 16-07-2003, 09:32 AM
Tracey

Maybe not necessarily frost, but consistent temps
in the 30s or low 40s.

Urp. The only places I know of that that might be
possible in the state are at the tops of the
volcanoes. Definitely nowhere on Oahu.

Tracey