Old 18-07-2003, 04:52 PM
James Duff

Default Budleja

I have two budleja's in my garden; one white & one lilac,they are both
in flower at the moment but the white ones seems in distress, as all
the flower heads are hanging as if in need of water,but I know this is
not the case, any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks JD.
Old 18-07-2003, 07:22 PM
Tracey

but the white ones seems in distress, as all
the flower heads are hanging as if in need of
water,

Most of the buddleia I've seen (at least the older
ones, with large flowers) seem to 'droop' over, at
least as far as bending in the middle. If the leaves
look fine (not limp and drooping), I would tend to
think that it's not necessarily in distress, just that
the weight of the flower is causing the drooping.

Tracey

Old 18-07-2003, 08:32 PM
paghat

In article , Tracey wrote:

but the white ones seems in distress, as all
the flower heads are hanging as if in need of
water,

Most of the buddleia I've seen (at least the older
ones, with large flowers) seem to 'droop' over, at
least as far as bending in the middle. If the leaves
look fine (not limp and drooping), I would tend to
think that it's not necessarily in distress, just that
the weight of the flower is causing the drooping.

Tracey

Is budleja the same as buddleia? Butterfly bushes certainly do droop
naturally, but they can also be harmed by over watering. I next-to-never
water mine & it looks great. I've used a bamboo pole to help train a
"leader" so that it is developing a trunk, & becoming more upright than
most butterfly bushes, since I also remove the lowermost floppy branches.
Without SOME training they'll end up floppy octopi.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 18-07-2003, 08:43 PM
Tracey

Is budleja the same as buddleia?

That's what I was assuming.

Tracey

Old 19-07-2003, 11:22 AM
James Duff

Tracey wrote in message ...
Is budleja the same as buddleia?

That's what I was assuming.

Tracey

Yes, Tracey it is the one and same. JD

Old 20-07-2003, 10:02 PM
GrampysGurl

Most of the buddleia I've seen (at least the older
ones, with large flowers) seem to 'droop' over, at
least as far as bending in the middle. If the leaves
look fine (not limp and drooping), I would tend to
think that it's not necessarily in distress, just that
the weight of the flower is causing the drooping.

Tracey

There is a variety that does flop quite a bit and it is usually white if my
memory serves me correctly.
Colleen
zone 5 Connecticut
Old 21-07-2003, 01:12 PM
J Kolenovsky

I planted some in a school habitat. Training the strongest leaders
upright with support and cutting off the smaller, lower ones is the way
to do this. As noted, do not over-water.

James Duff wrote:
=

I have two budleja's in my garden; one white & one lilac,they are both
in flower at the moment but the white ones seems in distress, as all
the flower heads are hanging as if in need of water,but I know this is
not the case, any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks JD.

-- =

J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 21-07-2003, 01:12 PM
J Kolenovsky

Common butterfly
bush (Buddleia
davidii) responds
very well to heavy
annual pruning by
producing fewer,
but larger, blooms.
Cut back one-third
of the oldest stems
or prune all stems
to within 8 in. of
the ground,
especially if winter
dieback occurs.

James Duff wrote:
=

I have two budleja's in my garden; one white & one lilac,they are both
in flower at the moment but the white ones seems in distress, as all
the flower heads are hanging as if in need of water,but I know this is
not the case, any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks JD.

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 21-07-2003, 05:22 PM

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 07:42:41 -0500, J Kolenovsky
wrote:

Common butterfly
bush (Buddleia
davidii) responds
very well to heavy
annual pruning by
producing fewer,
but larger, blooms.
Cut back one-third
of the oldest stems
or prune all stems
to within 8 in. of
the ground,
especially if winter
dieback occurs.

Piggy-backing on this thread: I was about to query the NG
SECOND BLOOM

I am in So Calif coastal. I did prune my Buddleia after it finished
blooming in about May-June -- lost track exactly when.

Now it is blooming again.

Anyone else in this Zone, what has been your experience?

Thanks.

--

Persephone